• CA Forever
    You're not wrong. Sagarin currently has NDSU ranked at 32... that ranking includes FCS and FBS.
  • Polydad

They could have easily scored 75 off Cal Poly but they were humane.
  • AggieFinn

We'll we're not as big as those guys, but we'll make up for it by being slower. I can remember an Aggiedad joking about that from his playing days back in the 70's. Always slower, always smaller, but more united and together than any team they ever played.
  • AggieFinn

Moving up in conferences can be a financial burden, as good as NDSU is at playing football (and a decent basketball team), you have to fund things across the board and upgrade across the board. Money, Money, Money

Some say the MAC (nearest school is about 600 miles away), some say the Mountain West - nobody has called the Bison about joining (can't imagine they want the Bison all over their butts in football, which is exactly what would happen).
  • OldAggie
    I don't put much into those ratings. I'm super happy with our success, but put anyone from 1-AA into a Major, or even mid-Major, and they are fighting to stay off the basement floor. They can beat the San Jose States, but I think they get creamed by SDSU's, Boise St's, and Frenso State's of the world far more often than not.
  • Polydad

I tend to agree but imagine if they had 85 scholarships instead of 63? Me thinks SDSU, Boise and Fresno want no part of that.
  • CA Forever
    I honestly think NDSU is an exception to that situation. I think they would transition and be just fine. They wouldn't be a powerhouse by any means but they would be far from the basement. If I remember correctly they have beaten every FBS team they've played in the last 7 or 8 years including teams that aren't pushovers.
  • BlueGoldAg
    JMU could probably make the move too...less so than NDSU...but they could beat some FBS teams as well...
  • OldAggie
    I'm quite sure none of those school fear NDSU joining their conference with 85. Frenso played Bama last year. Comparing a successful FBS to a successful FCS program is silly...not a level playing field. Davis, thanks to Hawk and donors, are starting to get close to the other programs for facilities, swag, and intangibles, but they are far off from most of FBS. Do you really think Boise State (Sagarin #43) won't kill NDSU (Sagarin #32). How about Oregon (Sagarin #34)?
  • OldAggie
    I respectfully disagree with their current team being competitive. I wholly agree that they won't be a laughing stock if they go FBS (with all the scholarships, etc.). It's about recruiting depth, butI think they actually lose recruits if they are FBS. I suppose they could go to the MAC, or some equivalent, but I think they are years away from a full year of success at the FBS level. No doubt, teams have made it work before (i.e. Boise), but It's not like recruits are going to NDSU for the weather or academics. I hope UC Davis puts a plan in place to join the Mountain West sooner rather than later, but we need a ton of money to do it, and it will take a while to be a legit contender.
  • AggieFinn
    There is some added luster to NDSU right now as they sit in the FCS level of football. They're perennial Championship contenders and play a hard nosed, high level of football that landed their former quarterback a Top 5 overall pick and now currently starts for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Winning a ton of games in FCS is more fun than being mediocre in a mid-level FBS conference - and I dare say it's healthier in that the pounding you take every week isn't as rough as that of a FBS schedule. However, that kind of beating is what the NFL looks for, those who possess the toughness to play at a high level through pain against the best college competition. There's a reason why the vast majority of NFL draftees and UDFAs are from the FBS programs.
  • OldAggie
    100% agree with that analysis. Not saying FCS is not great football, and not saying great players come from it, but being a champ in FCS is far more attractive than being Ball State.
  • Polydad
    Speaking of scholarships, do any of you know if Davis is fully funded with 63 scholarships?
  • Polydad

What you say is true but generally speaking, FBS players are better than FCS players which is why so many more FBS players wind up in the NFL.
  • Polydad

Based on what I've seen Boise State doesn't kill NDSU and possibly loses to them
  • Polydad

IMO it's way too soon for Davis to even think about the Mountain West. Sure, this years team beat SJSU and can possibly beat Wyoming, other than that they are toast in that conference. Once Doss and Maier are gone the Big Sky will be all the Aggies can handle, trust me.
  • OldAggie
    Well, that's bold.
  • OldAggie
    I agree, long term plan. if you want to keep football, you need to be playing at the highest level. Just my take. I've watched DII die on the west coast, and I think FCS will too in the next 20 years.
  • Zander
    I can't imagine we aren't. Haven't seen proof either way though.

And if Cal Poly fans think that Davis is just a two-man show, y'all are in for a brutal surprise on Saturday
  • BlueGoldAg
    Once Doss and Maier are gone the Big Sky will be all the Aggies can handle, trust me.

Polydad...we are much more than Doss and Maier...much, much more....

Absolutely agree...we've got quite a few weapons this year. Maier has spread the ball all over the receiving corps...as many as 10 different receivers in a single game...so when teams double or triple Doss we've got other receivers with good hands who run nice routes.

We've got depth at RB too. Gilliam is brilliant and the best is yet to come from this kid...he can cut on a dime and is patient following his blockers. Thomas is a big, fast and agile and Modise is very good too. All of them can catch the ball coming out of the backfield also. Stack the LOS and you're vulnerable to our WR's on the fly sweep. We've got a lot of options we can throw at teams.
  • SloStang
    We know you have an All-American TE and 2 or 3 other WRs any team at this level would love to have. We also know you have a much improved running game and defense. We know we have to play a near perfect game and have a few breaks go our way to win. One can hope and it is a rivalry game where things don’t always go the way people expect.

If Davis gets up early or we turn over the ball it could be a long day. If on the other hand we can chew up the clock, score and keep the Aggie offense on the sideline for long periods we have a chance. Problem is that is a really BIG if.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I honestly believe anyone can be anyone on any given day in this league. There are no absolute gimmes. If you don't come to play, your opponent will make you pay... The Ags need to play well to win this game...
  • zythe

You forgot our coach...Hawk.

I heard Hawk likes circling Spanos Stadium on gameday and attacking unsuspecting secondaries.

We’ll see if it’s true....
  • SloStang
    Hawk has brought an incredible amount of energy and buzz to Davis. He bleeds Aggie Pride and it shows.
  • SochorField
    Once Doss and Maier are gone the Big Sky will be all the Aggies can handle, trust me.Polydad

lol have you seen our recruiting classes lately? We are deeper than ever.

IMHO we can improve at QB. Hunter Rodriguez looked great against Stanford. We are loaded at QB, and WRs are lining up to play in this offense.
  • PortlandAggie

Once Doss and Maier are gone the Big Sky will be all the Aggies can handle, trust me.

Well. There goes his credibility
  • quadshock
    If Doss gets any NFL attention, once Doss is gone arguably the recruiting would be even better
  • DrMike
    I think the recruit level has gone up considerably the past two seasons, and should continue to improve with success in the field (and to a point Sac’s and Poly’s, to a lesser extent, struggles)
  • 69aggie
    Well said DRMike.
  • Polydad

Finishing near the top of the Big Sky Conference on a regular basis is a tough task for any program. I’m not saying the Aggies can’t do it but this is the first year of what could be a very strong program, especially with Hawkins coaching.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!