• SloStang
    Cal Poly football can not get a player in that meets the minimum CSU standard. They can get players in that are below the Cal Poly standard, but it is still way, way above the CSU standard. The problem is even if we or Davis could get in a player that meets the minimum CSU standard they would not be able to compete in the classroom and would more than likely flunk out.
  • DrMike
    How is the cal poly standard different than CSU?
  • Polydad
    Coach Walsh claims Cal Poly competes for the same players with Davis, not Sac State and I’m pretty sure that’s due to admissions. I suspect that not all players that Hawkins wants that qualify get past UC Davis admissions
  • agalum
    Well, just finalized my plans for the poly trip and EWU. The amount i paid for a round trip airline ticket to Spokane i had to choke up for a middle of the road hotel room in SLO. Hotels were booked up for the weekend. There must be another event in town this weekend. BTW, there is a non stop SWA flight out of SMF to Spokane.
  • Polydad
    Lodging in SLO is stupid expensive. I stay 10 minutes away in Pismo Beach it’s expensive there too but it’s beautiful and you get more bang for your buck IMO
  • movielover
    Any idea if the CAAA is planning a group trip to EWU?
  • Polydad

Certain majors like engineering are so difficult at CP that the chances of success while putting in all the hours football demands is slim. I’ve heard coaches strongly discourage and possibly even prohibit players from certain majors. Can you shine any light on this topic SloStang?
  • agalum
    ↪agalum Any idea if the CAAA is planning a group trip to EWU?

I looked at their website before i booked my flight and didn’t see anything. I have been watching the flights for several weeks hoping the rate would go down, but they were only going up so i jumped today. Explored a bunch of options such as OAK, Stockton, etc. Best deal i found was out of SMF.
  • DrMike
    I’m going to Montana, passed on EWU. Might rethink that depending on the next copy of games
  • agalum
    are you going to slo?
  • Zander
    Regarding the admissions thing -- there probably is a cutoff below the average for non-athletics incoming students, but it's all apples to oranges when you think about it. Picture a high school senior who didn't have the hottest grades but was also a music prodigy who spent several hours a day practicing and wrote a convincing essay about it -- he probably would get strong consideration, and that situation really isn't much different than a football player who racks up a ton of extracurricular hours and probably had a lot more personal contact with the school than the average applicant.

Like somebody mentioned, yield is another important consideration for college admissions, especially since US News ranks based on lower admission rates. It's not abnormal for colleges to preferentially admit students who have a higher probability of actually enrolling (though public schools might be more limited in what tactics they can use), so in that case one can see how a recruit who's already verbally committed again trumps a random applicant who's applying to a bunch of schools.

Then there's a host of other factors, like requirements for different majors, out-of-state vs in-state, local context admissions (doing well at one's high school, regardless of how competitive it is), etc. And then there's the essay wildcard. While some athletes certainly are in impacted majors, also many of them aren't, and that will also play a role.

Anyway, the point is that the whole system is holistic to the point of being arbitrary. So there probably is a cutoff lower than the average admission stats, but that doesn't actually mean that the athletes are less qualified or that they're unattractive candidates by standard admissions schools of thought.
  • DrMike
    can’t, granddaughter birthday
  • Polydad
    So far a great year for the Aggies, bask in it fellas.....
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think Hawk still has the fire but he has certainly toned it down now...

• Polydad

Love it, thanks for sharing Agalum!
  • Polydad
    I see why you guys love Hawk so much
  • quadshock
    Acceptance rate was dropped from the algorithm

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-rankings-blog/articles/2018-09-10/whats-new-in-the-2019-us-news-best-colleges-rankings

Which is the right move anyway; top schools will have more applications and naturally lower acceptance rates.
  • NCagalum
    wow. That’s sounds a bit like Herm Edwards “you play to win the game”. Maybe they share 1/1024 in their blood line.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Interview with Sr DB Vincent White:

What has the energy been like throughout the week, knowing that the Battle for the Golden Horseshoe is approaching?

"We know it is Cal Poly week, but this team is approaching this as another game. We are watching film and working hard trying to reach our potential. At times, it is hard because they are our rivals. But when we take the field on Saturday, we are focused on facing another opponent and executing our game plan."

"Even the younger players are doing a great job focusing on things one week at a time. They are aware of the mistakes that are made in a game, and work hard the following week making those corrections."

More here: https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/10/19/football-inside-the-huddle-with-vincent-white.aspx
  • agalum
    Any gatherings planned before or after the game? Best post game watering spot to celebrate another Aggie victory?
  • DrMike
    Before game at milestone tavern. Might be too late to sign up for food ($10) but you can stop in for beer. 100’s on tap
  • agalum
    Thanks Dr. Mike, missed that one.
  • movielover
    How was that announced? GridClub?
  • DrMike
    Various emails. Team Aggie newsletter yesterday.
  • DrMike
    starts at 1:00. You might be able to pay at the door, or just get your own food there. If you want, I can ask someone in the department of you can pay at door. Online link is expired
  • AggieFinn
    IT'S THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE! IT'S THE BIG SKY! IT AIN'T INTRAMURALS!

BAKE IT UP!
  • movielover
    Thanks. Yes, link dead. What kind of grub does $10 get you?

They have bacon wrapped meatloaf.
  • Bige70
    I am ready to run through a wall now!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!