• Polydad

I see Doss as a sure thing in the NFL
  • DavisAggie
    Cal Poly giving up 7.7 per rush, worst in FCS. Davis has improved from 4.9 last year (not good) to 3.4 (very good). Pass defense about the same as last year
  • Polydad

I’m just saying it’s a little early to be talking about moving to the Mountain West...........
  • Polydad
    Does anyone know if the Aggies are fully funded with 63 scholarships?
  • Polydad

I watched Boise State struggle to beat an improved Nevada team last Saturday night. IMO this is a bit of a down year for the Broncos and not only do I think this year’s NDSU squad beats them, they are probably pre game favorites.
  • movielover
    I believe we are.
  • Polydad
    I saw Modise play in high school he was quite the stud. Good get for the Aggies.
  • Riveraggie
    Hopefully winning some playoff games at the FCS level will get recognition similar to winning some of the no name FBS bowls. If that’s the case then better to be big fish in small pond
  • Polydad
    With their current coaching staff and improving recruiting classes I see bright days ahead for the UCD program. They have challenges very similar to Cal Poly and that beast is admissions. Let's face it, it's hard to get the talent to compete with the FCS best on a national level when you have high academic requirements.
  • agalum
    With their current coaching staff and improving recruiting classes I see bright days ahead for the UCD program. They have challenges very similar to Cal Poly and that beast is admissions. Let's face it, it's hard to get the talent to compete with the FCS best on a national level when you have high academic requirements.

Well said, and that’s why i have a hard time throwing smack at Poly. Now Suc on the other hand is a different matter
  • CA Forever
    Kevin Blue and Dan Hawkins are the two best things to happen for the football program in a long long time. Hawkins has an infectious energy in how he conducts himself and how he recruits. Looking at Hero Sports the recruits we have for this upcoming class is again looking like one of the strongest in the Big Sky with several guys being up there on their national commit list. I would love to see Davis become the west coast NDSU, but we still have a long ways to go before that is the case... that being said, look at where we were at just 2 years ago.
  • Polydad

If I were an Aggie fan I would aspire for them to become the Stanford of the FCS. High quality football from true student athletes. Admission rate at NDSU is 94%, you don't want UCD associated with that :wink:
  • zythe
    I’m an Aggie Fan and I want them to be playing the big FBS schools.

I want to be an FBS school in the future.
  • CA Forever
    I was talking about the success on field. I would love for the Aggies to be the favorites for the national championship year in and year out. Stanford is good, but they aren't Alabama. I don't think Davis or Hawkins have patience for academic laxity.
  • Polydad

True that Stanford isn't Alabama but on any given Saturday they have the talent to knock them off. Generally speaking, Stanford get's the most talented true student athletes.
  • Polydad

I get what you're saying, maybe be known as the Duke/Vanderbilt/Northwestern of the west?
  • NCagalum
    Demographics a bit different - enrollment ~12,000, state population ~750,000 and of course it is where "everyone is above average" - so yield will be higher.
  • NCagalum
    through Oct. 13
    Scoring Offense: UCD 2nd in big sky 7th in nation (out of 125) 40.8
    CPSU 11th in big sky 78th in nation 25. (Idaho State 1st BS at 41.3)

Scoring Defense: UCD 5th in big sky 69th in nation 30.5
    CPSU 12th in big sky 106th in nation 38.8 (Weber 1st BS as 21.7)

Time of possession: UCD 9th in big sky 96th in nation 28.06 min.
    CPSU. 1st in big sky and 4th in nation 34.41 min.

Last stat for random scatter discussion.
  • SloStang
    Cal Poly has faced two of the better defenses in the FCS in NDSU and Weber State. I would say both are better than any defense the Aggies have faced with the exception of Stanford.
  • Polydad

Not to be a buzz kill but despite being the highest(I'm not positive)paid head coach in the BSC at $275K, it's highly possible Hawkins get's snapped up by another program. Cal Poly has lost several good coaches the past few years to better opportunities. I fully expect that to happen with Jay Hill over at Weber State.
  • CA Forever
    He could, but the man bleeds Aggie blue and gold. I think it would take a whole lot for him to leave.
  • Polydad

When I first read your post I was skeptical. However, with an acceptance rate of 38% at Davis, 17% at Cal and 5% at Stanford, UCD could appeal to the FBS caliber player that values education but doesn't quite have the grades for Cal or Stanford.
  • DrMike
    its not about grades...its just a matter of qualifying. meet the minimum acceptance qualifications (i think its 3.0 in UC required classes) and you are eligible to play at Davis, Berkeley and UCLA.

same is true at Poly....meet the CSU minimum, and they can get you on campus there, the same as at Sac.
  • SochorField
    highly possible Hawkins get's snapped up by another program.Polydad

I doubt it. Hawkins looks like he's having the time of his life building this program back and impacting kids at a school he is emotionally attached to. We all know its pretty special to do what you love, at a place you love. He's probably made good money over the years and is comfortable.

It doesn't get much better that that.
  • DrMike
    i think the more likely scenario is that Plough gets snapped up. I really don't see Dan leaving for another program, especially with the momentum that is being built from Mrak Hall on down to the football program.
  • NCagalum

Correct, and rates have to do with capacity and number of applications. Stanford doesn’t have to do much marketing to get a whole lot of applicants so acceptance rate is going to be low.

Another wrinkle with the academic stats is that schools may have to accept 2 to yield 1, etc.
  • AggieFinn
    Let's bake it up on Saturday man.

#Horseshoe
  • Polydad

I know that student athletes don't have to meet the same standards as non athletes when it comes to admissions. Are you telling me that a player that barely qualifies to get into Sac State can also get past admissions at Cal Poly? Are we talking in theory or reality?
  • DrMike
    I have no specific cases of who gets in or not; just know that kids have to be qualifiers to have their cases brought to admissions. and that should be it. if a school is holding their athletic departments to higher standards than qualifying, that's an institutional decision that can't be too popular with the program! this isn't a case of letting in a non-qualifier.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!