• 69aggie
    I am frankly surprised. Not the normal HC before game speech. Not over the top. No yelling. Short. Concise. Understandable. Certainly not the Gipper speech. I definitely see the Sochor influence with Hawkins with the “have fun” reference.
    Does anyone else recall the scene where its 3rd and long in a playoff game in the early ‘80s. We call time out. The game is on the line with this play. And the Coach pulls O’Brian aside and tells him to relax, look into the crowd, take a big breath, and just enjoy the moment. Us old guys know what happened next and it was good. I know Hawk wants to live up to Sochor standards. He’s doing very well now IMHO.
  • Bige70
    FWIW that speech was similar in style and tone to Biggs' speeches. You don't have to shout and swear a lot to motivate a group of highly intelligent self-motivated young men. What you do say, however, has to resonate.
  • Kerberos
    Also the reference to playing for the love of each other. That's what Aggie Pride is about.
  • DrMike
    we were there two years ago and I remember pizza and some brew food. Nothing elaborate but good location and a lot of beer. You can pay at the place according to team Aggie guy I talked to.

That was the place I was staring at the 5 large TV screens with all their beer choices for about 5 minutes trying to find something to try. Fred Arp walked up and said ‘coors light’. The man knew what he liked
  • SochorField
    One thing that stuck with me after the Stanford win in '05 was when Biggs was asked "what did you say to those guys before the game to get them to pull off an upset like this?" He was humble, he said he doesn't have to holler at these kids to get them motivated. They do that themselves just fine. He just gets the message across and lets them go.

I like it. Save the yelling for when you really need it.....like at halftime in Frisco.
  • AggieFinn
    Well, it's a big day on the road for the Ags. Nothing gets the blood pumping like an in-state rival.

To quote Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, "WARM IT ALL UP! EVERYTHING YOU GOT!"
  • CA Forever
    GAME DAY! LETS GO AGGIES!
  • AggieFinn
    As per usual on Saturdays, when I'm all wired up after a week of building really cool, big s#@!...I found myself up at 3:30 am watching motivation videos while cleaning the house.

I came across the story of Inky Johnson, a kid who came from the absolute dirt poor Atlanta neighborhood of Kirkwood...and blazed a trail to the University of Tennessee after Coach Fulmer took a chance on him. Listening to Inky talk about his life as a youngster, and all the setbacks he has had....he still realizes that the work he put in and choices he made to get to that next level changed the whole trajectory of his family history. One of the best quotes is how Inky was offered 3 things to do when he went on his official visit to Knoxville: 1) Go to a BBQ 2) Go to the Basketball game or 3) Go to a Sorority Party...he chose none of them, just wanted to go back to the hotel, and all he talks about is how that was the first time in his life he slept in a bed all by himself. It's incredible.

Really, a great mindset and life philosophy, and I think it's this kind of energy you find around the right college football programs in America. I honestly think Hawk has brought this back to Davis, and I also think he picked up most of it from the original Zen master himself Jim Sochor.

• BlueGoldAg
    Really, a great mindset and life philosophy, and I think it's this kind of energy you find around the right college football programs in America. I honestly think Hawk has brought this back to Davis, and I also think he picked up most of it from the original Zen master himself Jim Sochor.

Well said, Finn...
  • Riveraggie
    Hopefully still true after today, our rushing defense is ranked second in the Big Sky,
    RUSHING DEFENSE G Att Yards Avg. TD Yards/G
    1. Weber State 3 108 266 2.5 2 88.7
    2. UC Davis 3 128 427 3.3 5 142.3
    3. Portland State 4 151 608 4.0 8 152.0
    4. Idaho State 4 153 741 4.8 6 185.2
    5. Montana State 3 122 567 4.6 9 189.0
    6. Eastern Washington 4 214 777 3.6 5 194.2
    7. Northern Arizona 3 128 591 4.6 8 197.0
    8. Idaho 4 156 845 5.4 5 211.2
    9. Northern Colorado 4 183 883 4.8 14 220.8
    10. Cal Poly 3 87 795 9.1 9 265.0
    11. Southern Utah 3 123 831 6.8 8 277.0
    12. Montana 4 233 1124 4.8 11 281.0
    13. Sacramento State 3 153 1072 7.0 13 357.3
  • quadshock
    Just arrived in SLO! Let's go!!!
  • AggieFinn

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO AGS!
  • movielover
    I think Hawk and a lot of our players get it from their families and parents. Davis is a continuation.
  • quadshock
    Let me know if anyone is at the pregame
  • agalum
    Yeah , I’m here, handsome guy in a yellow shirt
  • agalum
    Talk about parking for the game in another county, holy smoke, reminds me of the old commercial! “I’d walk a mile for a camel,” lol
  • BlueGoldAg
    Almost time for the kickoff.

Let's go Aggies!!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Gonna be a warm one...81 degrees with the wind NW at 15 mph currently
  • BlueGoldAg
    I've been worried about this game all week...7-0 Poly on a 64 yard drive after we go 3 and out on the first possession...
  • movielover
    Ouch. Any way to get Pluto on cable?
  • BlueGoldAg
    If you download their app to your tv you can watch it on your tv
  • Zander
    Two 3 and outs, ick. Gotta get a stop here
  • BlueGoldAg
    We're in trouble in this one. ISU ran through us and CP is doing the same...
  • BlueGoldAg
    10-0 Poly

Yardage: Poly 115 Ags 13
  • BlueGoldAg
    Three 3 and outs...it doesn't look like the Ags came ready to play...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags finally on the board 10-7 Poly

Yards: Poly 118 Aggies 64
  • Zander
    We're getting stops, ball's moving, should get at least 3 at the end of this drive. Feels like the bleeding has stopped
  • Zander
    TD Preece!
  • CA Forever
    Right back in it. GO AGGIES!
  • CA Forever
    Too easy! Aggies up now.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!