• DrMike
    i know UCSB is done this year (and maybe missing a couple guys) but i didn't see THIS coming. similar outing to last saturday in terms of defensive intensity (and integrity), good shot selection (and makes!), and solid ballhandling. we're deeper than i remember in the recent past, and can bring in guys who can defend and handle the ball -> so we shouldn't suffer long droughts, or give up big runs where we get sloppy. Be nice to follow up Saturday with another victory to get the conference off to a good start. hope for a bigger crowd, but don't expect it. students probably won't show in large numbers, and its supposed to rain heavy this weekend -> that will keep me from making the long drive up.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Spot on, DrMike. Our depth is making a difference and it took some time in the OOC games for us to arrive at this point. Les has this team believing in the value of great defense. I like Schnieder coming off the bench. He can give the team a lift with his 3 point shooting and his overall intensity of play. Arell Hennings is fun to watch and he has great court awareness and can distribute the ball with accuracy. I love it when he pulls up and drains a 3 or a long 2.

I like the chemistry of this team. They take pride in defense and are very unselfish. Last night was a good start. Saturday will be a better test and we have to hold advantage at home to have a chance in the Big West.
  • BlueGoldAg
    UCSB was without 6'8 forward Ami Lokoju and 6'8 forward Jalen Canty due to academics.

Quote from Bob Williams: "That is a very physical team, especially their backcourt, and we didn't respond," said UCSB head coach Bob Williams. "Early, they took us out of everything we wanted to do offensively and on the other end, it was too easy for them."

http://ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-baskbl/2016-17/releases/2017010520jnc9
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Early in the season, I made it to a few away games, and I watched Hennings warm up. His outside shot was spot on, but then he'd get into a game and his shot (when he took it) was way way off. But given the warm ups, you just knew it was a matter of time before he started getting comfortable enough to start hitting some of those 3's (or long 2's) in the game. He hit a step back 3 against Seattle (I think) that was just beautiful.

This is definitely one of the quickest, most athletic Aggie team that I can remember.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm one of those basketball fans that loves great defense as much as great offense. Our guys are using their feet and staying front of their man. I loved the double teams out front and the steals we got by doing it...a thing of beauty. You can't do that unless you know the players behind you have got your back. Defense is hard work and effort and the Ags have bought into it. Great to see.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!