• movielover
    The Aggie loops in:

- Student Petition
    - 1995 SASI funding initiative & commitment
    - Paul Medved comments
    - Chancellor May wants business & data science majors - seeks to cut $$$

https://theaggie.org/2020/11/02/uc-davis-will-no-longer-offer-for-credit-pe-classes-starting-winter-quarter-2021/
  • movielover
    From a previous Enterprise article / series:

Physical Education at UC Davis, Part II: PE keeps UC Davis uncommon

By Owen Yancher

“And if we had … more classes, they’d fill up in a minute,” according to Nancy Wright, the physical-education program’s courses coordinator. “A lot of the time, there are waitlists, but there’s just no room.”

"Both Jahn and former UCD cross-country coach and Physical-Education Program Director Sue Williams credit the classes’ sound-body, sound-mind approach to physical health and mental wellbeing as a draw for so many students navigating demanding academic workloads. That, and the chance to take classes taught by college coaches.

“Berkeley had a similar program at one point,” former Aggie administrator Pam Gill-Fisher remembers. “But very quickly and early on, they diverted away from that vision (and) focused predominantly on athletics instead.”

"The longtime Aggie coach and athletic official says Davis became the lone wolf as far as its physical-education program went. But the university’s dedication to academics before athletics and the role of physical fitness outlined in the campus’ academic mission helped keep UCD “uncommon.” "

"...The same Academic Senate that voiced concerns back in 2003 has raised questions in recent years as to whether UCD is upholding its eighth principle of the athletic department’s mission and core values: “to preserve the teacher-coach role.”

“The university has a responsibility to continue that program,” Warzecka says. “To pull from that program or not offer courses … that, in my opinion, would violate the SASI referendum.” "

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/sports-physical-education-at-uc-davis-keeping-davis-uncommon-part-2/
  • Aggiepride04
    I recall taking a PE class at UCD, took a weight lifting class. It was a really positive experience. I think it was taught by one of the coaches. The ARC is pretty great and could see taking a class there being interesting but liked the ideas of getting units and having the instruction.
  • zythe
    I took that class too. I think the instructor was the then wrestling coach. It was a fun class.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!