• DrMike
    Yes, defer the 12 units to fall and graduate at the end of fall quarter. I don’t know all the academic progress rules, but you have to make progress to a degree and take a minimum number of units. These ‘extra’ two quarters might make it impossible to do both and be academically eligible to play next fall, despite the extra athletic year. Probably need to talk to someone in compliance to make sense. That’s the only reason I can understand the poly kids deferring, which made them ineligible for spring
  • movielover
    OK. Given Hawk's competitive nature, I think passing up a sweet 16 playoff spot is tough. To slug through the Montanas, Weber, EWU, & tough preseason games next year?
  • fugawe09
    its a free year of eligibility for NCAA purposes but several UCD colleges have a lifetime limit of 225 undergraduate units. Since a lot of athletes are already on a 5 year plan, anyone who has been taking more than 12-14 units per quarter all along may not have enough units left before hitting the ceiling to get a 16th quarter in the fall. Options might be to graduate as planned in the spring as if COVID hadn’t happened, take an educational leave for spring and graduate in fall, get a special dispensation from the dean and chancellor, or- unlikely at UCD but common in P5 programs - enroll the student as a “grad student” with no intention of earning said grad degree. Not sure how many players this affects for us or how much strategizing is going into maneuvering things past 2021.

My opinion is it doesn’t seem like the Aggie way to “quit” on this season when for so long we’ve been the anybody/anytime/anywhere competitor, but idk what strategies are being talked.
  • DrMike
    thanks for the info. Back before the spring started, Hawk implied that they weren’t expecting many seniors to return in 2021.
  • fugawe09
    things may be more complex than my understanding as I don’t claim expertise. But to your point I don’t think we have that many graduating seniors right this minute. If we did, and the coaches felt a spring educational leave was strategic, just simply not winning this week would be easier politics than making playoffs and abdicating. But I’m not predisposed to believe that level of conspiracy would ever exist.
  • Riveraggie
    Hasn’t spring quarter started? If they play this weekend wouldn’t that be the same as next month?
    All this unit concern applies primarily or exclusively to fifth year seniors. Did we have any that skipped this spring season altogether? Were any players faced with the choice of spring or fall, and some chose fall?
  • agalum

Today was the first day of spring quarter.
  • Riveraggie
    I So if a student doesn’t enroll in spring classes can they play the rest of this season, including playoffs?
  • DrMike
    pretty certain the answer is no.
  • Riveraggie
    Then no sense quitting after this weekend, If it’s an issue, and they want to play in the fall, they should take the quarter off starting now.
  • SloStang
    One idea to makeup the loss of the Cal Poly game would be to have Davis play NAU April 17th. That would get both NAU and Davis to 6 games.

Never mind. NAU is scheduled to play Idaho April 17th.

Could play a second game against WSU April 17th, but I don’t see WSU agreeing to that.
  • movielover
    I agree, quitting sits poorly. Anything could happen next year.
  • fugawe09
    FWIW, Poly's maximum units work different than ours. Rather than a 225 max, their rule is no more than 24 units above the scripted major requirements. Most majors are around 180 units, so that puts their max closer to 204 in a lot of cases and their regular registrar policies are pretty militant about pushing people out in four years on the dot, so it would seem 5-year athletes already require some creative engineering. But I think we may be reading too much into this, the comment was probably just coachspeak cover.
  • Riveraggie
    Everyone knew the calendar beforehand, so it should have been already factored in how many players would leave spring quarter, and in any case it’s just a handful. The logical thing would to have players close to max units skip last fall quarter when most everything was locked down anyway.
  • 69aggie
    Based upon the incredible performances of Larison and Tompkins last Sat. I do not see the need to try and play UG against Eastern. Toe/foot injuries can be career ending if not treated very, very carefully. And, again where’s the need? I think that with Larison and Tompkins in the backfield with HR we will give our opposition fits. Hey, they are both QBs and can throw the ball and HR can run it. Tompkins is such a beast; it looked like IS players didn’t really want to tangle with him on that last TD. Untouched!
  • DrMike
    I’m waiting Dixon to break free. He had some highlights that showed great breakaway speed. He looks a little tentative now but hopefully that will change with more action
  • Idaho Aggie
    I was thinking this too. Is it worth the wear and tear on players who are going to be suiting up in the fall to play more games now? I'm less concerned about saving units and more concerned about increased injuries in the fall. This is a team with great potential and I'd like to see them win in the 'real' season.
  • elfan

Think the experience is critical for a young defense that will be opening up at Tulsa. There are quite a few freshmen getting good reps.
  • movielover
    Is Hawk saving some fireworks for EWU?
  • Toke69
    riveraggie: I don't know if the rules are different for basketball, but I know I heard that at least one player in the NCAA tournament had graduated in December and retained his eligibility through spring.
  • Riveraggie
    [
    Teams that haven’t played this spring will be at a disadvantage this fall. There are two recruiting classes of freshmen that can get evaluated, free game practice without burning eligibility. Next fall there will be an additional class of recruits. Passing up game experience is a lost opportunity. If wear and tear are factors that outweigh the gain in experience that can be evaluated on a case by case basis and those players can sit. In the fall the additional depth we develop this spring will lessen the load
  • movielover
    Same for newbie coordinators.
  • Riveraggie
    That too, I think they’re doing excellent, Of course opinions may vary,
  • DrMike
    Back to the game at hand..... I expect a heavy dose of the run game and a lot of zone to try to keep Barrierre in check (as much as one can). Timely blitzes to get him to rush. I’d feel better about this game if 1)Gilliam were playing. Not just as a runner, but also for his contributions in the pass game. Good hands and a knack for getting open. Maybe more importantly, he’s a real good pass protector- maybe part of the reason the pass game was so bland last game (trusting 2 young backs to pick up pressure); and 2) we haven’t faced a mobile QB YET. ISU guy moved okay, Idaho and Poly guy a statue. Weber QB made some plays but not like this guy does.

Hopefully it’s our time to play our best game and beat these guys
  • agalum

We all have that back breaking run Barriere made at the end of the semi final game in our minds. And he has wheels. But looking at his stats for the spring season, it’s his passing that is going to burn you. And possibly a lot of the passing yards are scrambling plays that he is keeping alive. But over 4 games, he has a net of 52 yards with a per game average of 13 on the ground, 2.2 yards average per play. From my seat just as a fan and never having played the game in an organized fashion, keep him in the seams and prevent the roll out where he is going to hurt you with a big pass play.
  • DrMike
    spot on assessment. Spring would be a good time for him to focus on passing.
  • Riveraggie
    Poly had a very mobile QB until the game got out of hand and they took him out.
  • DrMike
    he was mobile but he didn’t get a chance to use it. Second guy looked like Pluto feed was on slow motion.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Got my 4 tickets at 10 AM this morning. Can't wait to actually watch a game in person!
  • DrMike
    Sold out. I suspect that will be around 2000? No berm, so depends how they spread folks out
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!