• movielover
    "The suspension is UCD's way of freezing future financial commitments."

Conspiracy?
  • 72Aggie
    Having little to do directly with the investigation into the baseball team, but I know of someone who is dealing with hirings and promotions at UCD, (at both the Davis and Sacramento Medical Center locations). He/she says that the process is interminably slow and drawn out.
  • Goags20172
    I don't know about a conspiracy, unless the hazing allegations were trumped up as a means to eliminate the program.
    That seems less probable.

Freezing the finances through suspending the coaches just makes sense if the university is not sure exactly what it's dealing with. What if it's a very serious matter, goes to court, and they have to pay damages ? And what if those damages make it too difficult to afford the program in the future ? They don't want the coaches promising new scholarships to players if the program might be cancelled or the NCAA imposes a reduction in scholarships. When it eliminated its baseball program Boise State had to honor the scholarships of any players who wanted to remain there. Also,baseball enters into contracts for the games it schedules just like football. Whether it's a cash payment, accomodations, or a commitment for a reciprocal trip there's always something offered up. In fact this might have something to do with why UCD baseball never schedules games against non-DI teams unless they are in transition to D1 (Cal Baptist, Seattle, Grand Canyon, and Utah Valley State being some past examples) The D-II schools UCD could schedule (Chico State, SF State, Cal State Stanislaus, etc) would all want cash-they don't need trip accomodations or return trips, being no more than a modest bus trip away.

This is not so much unlike when I have occasion to doubt my job security. I stop using my credit cards, cancel any cancellable excursions or memberships, look for other ways to save money. Much more effective when you start it before you're unemployed. When it eventually turns out fine and I'm still employed I'm still glad to have saved the money. UCD seems to employing a similar measure of caution.
  • Goags20172
    That sounds about right.
  • 72Aggie
    And we're not talking a faculty or research job where background checks may take some time....this is for entry level service (housekeeping, food service, physical plant...) type positions. I can't get an email from a local restaurant that doesn't encourage readers to apply for a job. Restaurant jobs are going begging and restaurants are cutting back their hours, but takes forever for the U to do what it is that they do.....
  • movielover
    I'm told many faculty applicants now have to demonstrate how they have advocated and supported Social Justice Warrior (SJW) causes.
  • BlueGoldAg
    What SJW causes? Facts and sources or is this just more unverified, hearsay BS?

These politically biased statements get old, movie. The Aggie sports categories are for discussing Aggie sports. Please post your political junk in the Off Topic category.
  • 72Aggie
    Sorry, did not mean to do anything that would open this door. I've said too much, ...again.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Not a problem, 72. I should have just ignored movie's statement. My reply will fall on deaf ears and will only encourage a response from him. I should know better...
  • 69aggie
    72 and Blue. Ditto. Movie has partaken of the Trump KoolAide. No use trying to talk him out of it. Kinda feel a bit sorry for him. He has no political friends on this site. Lonely guy. . . . I suppose. His sports comment are OK however.
  • cmt
    Sometimes it's tough to know when an opinion on a topic is or isn't welcome. You need to know your audience. For example, this board is not the place for Sac State or Cal Poly fans to come and talk about their team in a bunch of threads. Obviously we're happy to hear their insights on their respective teams in relevant threads (such as a gameday thread between UCD and Sac/CP), but this is a UCD board.

That's not a perfect analogy because this board isn't a "Democrat 4 Life" board, but the general point stands. I'll give a personal example. I'm a Cubs fan living in Giants country and I used to work at a bar. I quite enjoy talking about the Cubs and it was very easy to bring them up in baseball conversations. However, a number of the patrons didn't care much at all about the Cubs (especially since most of the time I worked at the bar, the Cubs were bad so they weren't relevant to the national conversation). So I had to be careful to limit my Cubs talk. One customer actually called me out on it one time (in a nice way) and it made me more conscious of it, which was a good thing. If the Cubs got brought up or were playing the Giants and somebody asked me about the Cubs, great. But otherwise, I had to know my audience.

Unfortunately in this case, movielover has been made well aware that his political thoughts, in general, aren't well received on the board. And if he kept them to the OT Board, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. The problem, as BlueGoldAg pointed out, is that he doesn't do this.
  • MTBAggie
    It's not about a difference in political thoughts. It's the "people are saying," "I heard," "I'm told" sort of comments. It's meaningless without any background info. I've also heard the earth is flat. It doesn't make it true. I'm sure faculty applicants are asked how they support their community, philanthropy, etc. But Movie's implication is that the university is trying to hire Black Lives Matter protesters, or something along those lines I assume.
  • 72Aggie
    Update, or lack thereof, from the Bee:

‘Left in the dark’: UC Davis baseball suspension yields little public insight
    By Joe Davidson
    September 15, 2021 5:00 AM
    -This story is a subscriber exclusive-
    More than two months have passed since UCD suspended its baseball program after a hazing allegation and we still don’t now the answers to those questions, nor do we know why the school abruptly shut down the sport. The coaching staff has been on administrative leave while the school investigates the allegation. The school has refused to say what happened, when it happened or even whether anybody was hurt.
    The school didn’t even initially say why the baseball program was suspended. School chancellor Gary S. May referenced hazing in a note in the middle of a blog posted for faculty and alumni under the headline, “Checking in with Chancellor May: Onward Toward Fall” and the subhead of “Checking in elsewhere.”
    He wrote that “we are responding to credible allegations of misconduct primarily related to hazing” and that “the university will take appropriate steps to review those claims. The university has a posture of zero tolerance with respect to hazing.”
    May followed his hazing comments with a list of UCD student-athletes who earned academic honors and concluded that the school is “in a golden age of Aggie Athletics and there’s never been a better time to root for our student-athletes and enjoy a game.”
    After more than a dozen calls, emails, texts or in-person visits, nobody was willing to talk to The Bee about the baseball program’s suspension. Several spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the topic; they expressed varying levels of disgust that the investigation is still in process. They expressed concern about the future of baseball at the school, with no fall conditioning or games, and concern the spring season could be in doubt.
    NO COMMENT ON HAZING INVESTIGATION
    UCD went 14-43 this past spring and finished last in the Big West at 8-32, the program’s poorest showing since 2009. UCD said the investigation could last well in to the fall months. Classes start on campus on Sept. 22.
    UCD athletic director Rocko DeLuca told The Bee that he could not comment on the investigation or on the baseball program.
    The Bee learned from people close to the program that DeLuca held a recent Zoom call with baseball players and parents. He did not offer specifics of the investigation, according to three people close to the program, and added that the school’s plan is to resume the program once the investigation is complete.
    UCD baseball players, it was noted in the Zoom session, are allowed to exercise in the Activities and Recreation Center, otherwise known as The ARC, which is close to Dobbins Field, but that Dobbins Field will otherwise remain locked. Lockers remain empty.
    When UCD announced its investigation, DeLuca emailed incoming freshmen that the investigation would not deny anyone their scholarship or roster status, but they were free to renounce their commitments to the university to play elsewhere.
    Some seized that opportunity. Catcher Michael Campagna transferred to the University of San Francisco. He led the Aggies in 2021 with a .403 on-base percentage and he threw out 22 base runners attempting to steal. He could not be reached for comment.
    Zach Carrell was second on the UCD team with victories in 2021 as a reliever, but he transferred to Oklahoma. His brother, Luke Carrell of Davis High School, planned to play at UCD but instead enrolled at Oklahoma, where he will play baseball. At least five incoming freshmen have elected to attend other schools.
    The father of the Carrell brothers is deeply connected to UCD. . As the school’s athletics representative, Scott Carrell notifies the NCAA of any program violations. He wrote in an email to The Bee that he could not comment.
    Said the father of one son who remains at UCD, “No one is saying a thing. My son doesn’t even know what’s going on. Left in the dark. It’s all gone down hill. All players are hearing that the investigation is still ongoing, and that no players are to talk about it at all.”
    Another parent of a UCD player still with the program said, “We know nothing. My son knows nothing. We haven’t heard of any hazing, and my son said he hasn’t seen any but he wasn’t with every player at every off-campus party or event, either. It’s sad. Players have left. Kids don’t want to play baseball at UCD right now. You put all this time into a program and have no answers or insight. Frustrating and sad.”
    ALL QUIET FROM UCD
    After breaking the news that the investigation was underway, The Sacramento Bee filed a request under the California Public Records Act seeking emails and other communications between administrators, coaches and other school officials to determine what prompted the investigation.
    Administrators have denied The Bee’s request for most of the records, citing the ongoing investigation. Administrators said the investigation is being conducted in-house by the Office of Compliance and Policy, which is something of a departure for the university.
    In past high-profile investigations, the university hired the Sacramento law firm Van Dermyden Maddux to investigate misconduct allegations independently. Van Dermyden Maddux investigated the 2019 allegations of misconduct that led to the suspension and eventual disbandment of the UCD Cal Aggie Marching Band. The firm also investigated the 2011 incident in which campus police Lt. John Pike calmly sprayed seated student protestors with pepper spray, leading to an international outcry. The university paid a $1 million settlement to the pepper-sprayed students, and Pike was dismissed in 2012.
    Students on campus are also in the dark about the baseball program.
    Omar Valdez is a fifth-year UCD student studying neurobiology, physiology and behavior. He is a member of the school’s club baseball team and has met UCD baseball players over the years.
    “I know the school is pretty adamant about the fact that they don’t tolerate hazing at all,” Valdez said. “That’s really all I know. We’ll see how it goes down.”
    The Bee’s Margo Rosenbaum and Ryan Sabalow contributed to this story.
    https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article254112958.html
  • movielover
    I have posted articles from the Wall Street Journal and Forbes in the OT section outlining our new "diversity screening", where applicants are often rejected before academic and teaching merits are ever considered.

My input was relevant to the extended hiring process.

You can save the name calling for others. I brought receipts.

Receipts posted in the OT section.
  • Goags20172
    So Michael Campagna has transferred to San Francisco. That might be an incentive to go to another Dons game, assuming they allow spectators in 2022.. Given he'll be a redshirt sophomore in 2022 and not a redshirt senior he will probably get significantly more playing time than Logan Denholm did at Sac State this year.

Interestingly enough Denholm is now an assistant there. The Sac State coaching staff now has two UCD catchers (Tyler La Torre). Funny coincidence.

That comment by the parent about how their son knew nothing but didn't go to parties and events with all the other players got me to thinking along a different line. That and the freshman hazing someone else (69aggie ?) mentioned When we think of hazing it's easy to assume it's some members of a group initiating new members of the same group, but what if it isn't ? Isn't it possible the parties being hazed were students who had nothing to do with the baseball program and the players who did it were simply part of a group of students who were involved ? If the people being hazed recognized one of their tormentors as a baseball player and included that detail in their complaint it's easy to see that getting spun into a complaint about the baseball team hazing while the majority of the team isnone the wiser.

When I was in graduate school I had some very loud and obnoxious neighbors (about a half dozen or so) who I knew were Sac State football players (This was under Steve Mooshagian's time as coach if I remember right) whom I had regular complaints about. Noise complaints mostly, but there were a lot of drunken nights and they caused some property damage. Lots of crap. One of them urinated on the exterior rear wall of my apt, was awakened by that. As one student being harrassed by others I had the right to go to the university to complain. Hell, I could've ratted them out to their coach. But I knew neither would do anything, so I just complained to the property manager and it eventually stopped. I guess they flunked out.

In 2003 the school would have done nothing. However had this happened in 2021 and I had reported their behavior to the university and mentioned that one of them was making racist threats to neighbors (he was) suddenly the football team would have been accused of diversity and inclusion issues even though they were private citizens harrassing other private citizens. How times change.
  • cmt
    I said it a while back but it's highly unlikely they're going to suspend the entire program because a few players did some hazing, regardless of how often they did it. There are 35 players on the team. If 5 or so were involved in the hazing, they'd boot them off the team and move on. It's got to be more widespread than that.
  • Goags20172
    Remember when the program's biggest problem was that it was bad ? I miss those days.
  • 69aggie
    I was on campus this morning for the first time about 2 years. Just passing thru from a family reunion in Fair Oaks. Drove down by the Dairy Fields and there right by the soccer guys were about 20-25 guys throwing baseballs back and forth like you would see a regular team do warming up for a game. What could this be? I did not stop to check. I guess the Admin can’t stop guys from throwing baseballs if they want to. They were not at Dobbins. So don’t know. Maybe club team?
  • 69aggie
    I guess I was right. Bee says UC Davis BB team is now practicing. 72 can you help me link this story?
  • 72Aggie
    SACRAMENTO BEE:
    UC Davis baseball team resumes practice while the school investigates hazing allegation
    By Joe Davidson
    UPDATED OCTOBER 04, 2021 5:07 PM
    UC Davis athletic director Rocko DeLuca on Monday afternoon announced through the school’s communications office that the Aggies baseball program, suspended since July due what the school labeled as “credible” hazing concerns, has been “approved to resume practice and some team activities” while the hazing investigation continues.
    DeLuca also announced three interim coaches are in place to help the transition to a spring season. They are: Tony Bloomfield, a longtime Davis resident whose Cosumnes River College baseball teams in Sacramento were among the best in the state, reaching the playoffs 17 of his 19 seasons; Randy Choate, a Davis resident who pitched in the major leagues in 2000s and won a World Series ring with the Yankees in 2000; and Ray McIntire, the one-time director of baseball operations at Arizona of the Pac-12 Conference.
    DeLuca said that as a university and as a baseball program, “We ask for privacy for the interim coaches and our student-athletes as they start practice later this week. There will be no additional updates or comments until the conclusion of the investigation.”
    He said of the interim coaches, “We are fortunate that a few talented members of our local community have agreed to assist with team practices and baseball activities while the coaching staff remains on leave. These individuals have diverse baseball backgrounds and will provide a depth of experience for our student-athletes.”
    More than two months have passed since UCD suspended its baseball program after a hazing allegation and we still don’t now the answers to those questions, nor do we know why the school abruptly shut down the sport. The coaching staff has been on administrative leave while the school investigates the allegation. The school has refused to say what happened, when it happened or even whether anybody was hurt.
    The school didn’t even initially say why the baseball program was suspended. School chancellor Gary S. May referenced hazing in a note in the middle of a blog posted for faculty and alumni under the headline, “Checking in with Chancellor May: Onward Toward Fall” and the subhead of “Checking in elsewhere.”
    He wrote that “we are responding to credible allegations of misconduct primarily related to hazing” and that “the university will take appropriate steps to review those claims. The university has a posture of zero tolerance with respect to hazing.”
    UCD went 14-43 this past spring and finished last in the Big West at 8-32, the program’s poorest showing since 2009. UCD said the investigation could last well in to the fall months.
    https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article254761062.html

KCRA TV
    UC Davis baseball team allowed to resume practice while misconduct investigation continues
    3 community members will serve as interim coaches
    Jonathan Ayestas
    DAVIS, Calif. —
    UC Davis' varsity baseball team is now allowed to resume practice and some team activities months after allegations of misconduct led to the entire team and coaching staff being suspended, the university announced Monday.
    A statement from UC Davis Director of Athletics Rocko DeLuca said the university has enlisted the help of three people, each with baseball experience, to serve as interim coaches.
    DeLuca in the release noted that the investigation is still ongoing, and the team's activities "will be closely monitored to ensure compliance with the University's rules prohibiting hazing."
    "We are fortunate that a few talented members of our local community have agreed to assist with team practices and baseball activities while the coaching staff remains on leave," DeLuca said in the release.
    The university did not detail specifics of the allegations when they were first announced mid-July. DeLuca told KCRA 3 that all players on the roster on the school's website are returning to practice, but he would not say if anyone has been dismissed during the investigation.
    The three coaches assisting as interims are as follows:
    Tony Bloomfield, who has over 25 years of experience as a head coach in the California Community Colleges system. At Cosumnes River College, his teams made playoff appearances 17 of the 19 years he served as head coach.
    Randy Choate, who was selected by the New York Yankees in the 1997 Major League Baseball draft from Florida State University. He's also pitched for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida/Miami Marlins, Los Angeles Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals. He won the 2000 World Series with the Yankees, beating the New York Mets.
    Ray McIntire, who served as Director of Baseball Operations at the University of Arizona and has volunteer assistant coach experience at the University of San Diego and the University of Nevada
    https://www.kcra.com/article/uc-davis-baseball-team-resume-practice-misconduct-investigation/37860198
  • 72Aggie
    And this from the UCD athletics website:

Baseball 10/4/2021 4:32:00 PM
    Statement from Director of Athletics Rocko DeLuca
    Interim coaches named to helm UC Davis baseball as university investigation continues
    DAVIS, Calif. -- The UC Davis baseball program has been approved to resume practice and some team activities while the investigation continues. These activities will be closely monitored to ensure compliance with the University's rules prohibiting hazing. 
    We are fortunate that a few talented members of our local community have agreed to assist with team practices and baseball activities while the coaching staff remains on leave. These individuals have diverse baseball backgrounds and will provide a depth of experience for our student-athletes. I am pleased to introduce the following interim coaches who will help us prepare for the spring season:
    • Tony Bloomfield is one of the most respected and successful coaches at the California community college level, with over 25 years of experience as a head coach. His Cosumnes River College teams made playoff appearances 17 of the 19 years he served as head coach. 
    • Randy Choate is a former professional baseball pitcher. The New York Yankees selected him in the 1997 Major League Baseball (MLB) draft from Florida State University. Choate made his MLB debut for the Yankees in 2000, and also pitched for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida/Miami Marlins, Los Angeles Dodgers, and St. Louis Cardinals. He won the 2000 World Series with the Yankees, beating the New York Mets.
    • Ray McIntire has served as Director of Baseball Operations at the University of Arizona and has volunteer assistant coach experience at the University of San Diego and his alma mater, the University of Nevada. 
    We ask for privacy for the interim coaches and our student-athletes as they start practice later this week. There will be no additional updates or comments until the conclusion of the investigation. 
    https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/10/4/statement-from-director-of-athletics-rocko-deluca.aspx
  • 69aggie
    I would say that is very good news indeed!
  • NCagalum
    “The young lady in question…..”
    I had a female graduate student come to my office and essentially accuse all male faculty members in our department of inappropriate behavior of some type. She gave no specific details or names attached to details. I told her that she may be more comfortable with a female major professor….after listening to her litany of complaints all with no details or evidence. She was subsequently bandied about (including by female faculty members) due to her lack of progress. Later after I stepped down from my administrative role I heard her In the hallways one morning dropping f-bombs like nobody’s business (which ironically in todays environment could be considered harassment of another student was offended). I think she had some mental problems but I am not an expert - she came across as someone with an axe to grind blaming others for her own academic failures.

Bottom line - my eyes were opened to open-ended and baseless accusations that can arise in university settings. Not saying there are not valid cases.
  • fugawe09
    This is good news. It would seem to indicate that the accusations maybe weren’t so credible after all or perhaps existed in the past not involving the current students. I’m sure they have to slow walk any return to normal to avoid howling from self-proclaimed victim advocates, but whether or not the current staff turns out to guilty, my guess is they’re headed for pasture anyway based on performance.

@NCagalum estimates exist that somewhere between 5-60% of students are a victim of some sort. The dept of education assumes about 20%, but the number is shaky. Because far fewer than 20% of students report anything, schools assume they have a huge under-reporting problem. In an effort to “fix” their percentages (and self justify their jobs) campus investigators frequently push for 100% conviction rates, often in absence of fact. As you saw, there are individuals who manipulate the system for other axes they want to grind. I’m sure administrators realize this but won’t admit it publicly for fear of appearing soft on abusers. Ironically, there is anecdotal evidence that some “real” victims don’t come forward because of the dog and pony show schools make of the noisy nonsense cases.
  • Bengalzrule
    I can see how important baseball is to UCD by the way one person produces most of the posts by themselves.
  • StrikeThree
    The baseball team lost Jalen Smith-its best position player-to UC San Diego. He is on the Tritons' 2022 roster.

How is UCD even going to have enough players to field a team, let alone one that gets through a minimum four full games a week?

69Aggie-I think the Club team plays its home games over at the dairy fields. The students you saw throwing were not in uniform, yes ? What you saw might have been a mix of club and varsity players. With no NCAA team presently what is to stop them from practicing together ?
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!