• Goags20172
    This is a follow up to the topic MTBAggie, Movielover, and I started to discuss on the football section. asince it's a topic with potentially a lot of meat to it I've started a separate thread.

I believe everyone has specific roles in the success of an athletic program, and indirectly the university through said programs. This includes players + coaches, non-athlete students, alumni, townies, and others. I'm not going to talk about "others". Whether or not everyone chooses to fulfill their roles is up to them. The more the better though.

Before I get to people's roles I think it''s important to provide an answer to the question of why we have athletic programs at universities in the first place. If you polled a selection of administrators you would likely hear a lot of the same- to enrich and improve the college experience (placing no particular.

That is very true, but it's only part of the answer. Athletics programs are also an important means of keeping money flowing into the university so that there can continue to be athletic programs and a university. If you take a balance sheet approach to it rather than a long-term view it's tougher to see how. Universities need to attract students, and they have many choices. Given academic institutions of similar reputation where cost is not the ultimately deciding factor students may give heavy consideration to what kinds of enrichment activities they can enjoy. As an example, if you're a great student and baseball player and you want to keep playing competitively you may pick a university that allows you to do so.

Universities, though they won't admit it, are involved in a form of gambling,but they do it with their available admission spots. When they admit you they are gambling that you will not only pay your tuition but also provide them future added value as well. And if you play a sport they sponsor you are also potential present added-value too.

I like to think of an athletics program as an income machine for the university. Only some very successful programs see income that meets or exceeds the university investment the same year in ticket, merchandise, broadcast revenue, etc. The rest are waiting on deferred income on their investments. Long view as opposed to balance sheet.

That athletic department machine has several parts that have their own inter-dependent roles. When one of those parts works less efficiently it is a detriment to the machine.

Here are some of the principal parts and their roles:

Student-athletes and coaches- they are basically one group. Their principal responsibilities are to deliver results in competition and donate money at some point. Better performance is needed to motivate more people to attend as well as spend and donate money. Better performance also is supposed to lead to better outside sponsorships and national exposure, the latter of which brings you more student-athletes. And the wheel in the machine keeps on turning

To some extent athletes and coaches are sometimes expected to schmooze with fans, as they are potential donors. This is a function of Team Aggie, although not using the same terms I've chosen.

Of course citizenship and success in the classroom are also important responsibilities in this group as well.

Townies- I will define them as anyone who attends or could attend athletic events who is not affiliated with the university in any way. Don't work there-didn't go to school there. They're usually members of the surrounding community but not always. I count myself as a townie for example when I go see a CAL game, but as a visiting alumnus when I go to UCD or Sac State. I do not live anywhere near CAL. Townies may be a big source for season ticketholders as they're in the general area more.

The townie's responsibilities are to attend events, spend money, and maybe donate money if they really enjoy themselves.

Alumni-similar responsibilities to townies, only they are counted on much more heavily for donations.

Now the "regular student" has a huge set of roles. First pay tuition and fees. Second, attend athletic events when possible to boost the team's profile, help cheer the the team onto victory so that the alumni and townies will enjoy themselves and come back with their money. Third, after you've graduated, remember what a great time you had at those events as a student, come back and spend and donate money to athletics.

When this part doesn't work so well it can really hurt.
  • MTBAggie
    My point earlier was that sports aren't the only outlet to drive school spirit (and down the road bring in donations) and enthusiasm around the school. How much did we spend on the Mondavi Center for the Arts? How many of us have been to a performance?

I wear my UC Davis College of Engineering pullover very proudly. That's what makes me proud to be an Aggie, not the results of our athletic programs. I went to a lot of football games in college since we had a bunch of guys in our fraternity on the team (and other sports, too). But, do you think I could drag any of my old friends or my family to a game against Dixie St., or pretty much anybody else on our schedule besides Stanford or Cal? Nope. I'll always cheer for the Davis athletic teams, but not because they are winning. What makes me passionate about our sports programs is that they draw true student athletes. I love hearing a player's position, followed by their major. To me, that's what makes Davis so great; that we attract really smart kids. That some of them can also compete at a high level in sports is pretty awesome.

Anyway, just my two cents. I don't have any understanding of the athletic program's budget, and how that impacts the school. Riverside, Irvine, Modesto, San Diego, Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara all don't have football teams. Are they failing universities? Probably not. Do Davis, Cal and UCLA attract more students because of football and other sports? I'd argue that Cal and UCLA probably do, but I don't think it applies to Davis. As agalum said in the other thread, "Bob Dunning seems to think poor student attendance is the result of being FCS," and I'd agree with that statement.

For me and the friends that I have that are sending their kids to Davis right now, it has little to nothing to do with the athletics program, and most of them might only go to one football game in their 4-5 years. But, that it's an option is awesome. Just like so many other activities in college. I just think the sports programs have very little to do with attracting the majority of students that apply to Davis. But I'm glad the athletic program exists so that kids who do want to continue playing sports have the option.

Long story short, Go Ags, and looking forward to crushing Dixie St. Saturday night!
  • movielover
    In past decades, Santa Cruz and Riverside were the least desirable campuses and had minimal sports programs. DIII? The most common non academic references I heard about their school was the beach, no grades, and stoner culture.

More traditional campuses compete - in the classroom, intramurals, Greek life, ICA, etc.
  • NCagalum
    MTV Aggie - I think you meant Merced, not Modesto. Modesto has a JC (I attended there many years ago) and I think they actually have a pretty good football team (I only remember going to to one game).

I don’t think academic excellence and good athletics and student/other support is mutually exclusive. I would note Stanford with the qualifier that their enthusiasm seems to stop at the Stanford band and it seems to be a wine and cheese social with fans sitting on their hands. I noted while watching college game day today, that many years ago, the Penn State students in the know had to explain to others the nuances of the game, traditions, etc., and it has culminated in white out crowds as will be the case today - I am not saying that is a goal.

What makes college football so great - in my opinion - are the traditions passed down that unite alums and current students - such things as marching bands/ fight songs/ others along with rooting for your universities team that builds a sense of community. I am a big Aggie fan ( particularly football) due to my participation in the Aggie band-uh many years ago when we were the principle cheering section for the team and went to all games. I do value the degree I got at UCD and know that it has a good reputation, but my “affection” is not to the calculus classes I took (well didn’t do so great) or the degree program I graduated in. Of course the team was very good then and winning certainly helped. In a water law class I took - an adjunct professor who was a lawyer from Sacramento, talked up the impending playoff game. Probably not something one would hear today.

I guess my point is that academics and athletics don’t necessarily have to be at odds (although I dont like transfer portal built teams- how much loyalty or concern about academics is shown there)? And I do admire teams that have more true student athletes, e.g. Davis, Stanford, Northwestern, (perhaps USD in past years) that win as much with coaching and playing smart as with pure athletic potential.
  • MTBAggie
    Yep, Merced. Doh! And yes, not mutually exclusive at all, or at odds with each other. My point was that attending sporting events shouldn't be some sort of requirement. Athletic teams should be able to survive if some percentage of students never go to a game. And students who don't go to games shouldn't be looked down on for finding passion in something other than sports in college.
  • Goags20172
    I had a lengthy counter-argument prepared that would've pointed out how my last couple of posts have been twisted, but this time I'm going to take a knee. Had a change of heart. Students can support the teams or not. Now they can sit around blowing bubbles and celebrating how unbiased they think they are for all I care. I fulfilled my roles in the athletics machine at UCD to a great extent and now I've had enough.

The suspension of the baseball team was really a death blow to my interest in Aggie athletics, more like a delayed one that puts you in the hospital and you die months later from complications. The university administrators and their far-left agenda, their desire to crush the traditions I cared about, can go take a long walk off a short pier.

Sorry, just don't have the interest level in other sports to do more than make puns or random, fairly obvious observations.

So I probably quit this board every couple of months (sometimes not saying anything when I do and sometimes with a long rant.) over the groupthink problems that plague the board. Since the now-kaput Band-Uh performed a lot of their songs I felt it appropriate to paraphrase and re-purpose a Green Day lyric. I'm nuking the bridge I've torched 2,000 times before. This time I'll blast it all to hell.

God speed. I hope you have the time of your life

goags20172.

FIN
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!