• Oldbanduhalum
    that’s right, and from what I’ve heard, it can’t be pretty “uncomfortable” for the visiting teams to be that close to fans.
  • BlueGoldAg
    “There was a time in the third quarter where I thought maybe we didn’t deserve to win, but that’s when Aggie Pride kicked in and our guys showed their character,” said UC Davis head coach Dan Hawkins at his weekly press conference. “We showed a tremendous amount of heart and character. We’re 5-0 and there are a lot of teams that would like to be 5-0 right now.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies-win-moves-up-in-poll/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=60b15163f1-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-60b15163f1-171004309
  • MTBAggie
    Hawkins is really good in those press conferences. They're posted on Facebook and well worth the watch if you have access.
  • NCagalum
    Holt arena is a Quonset-hut type indoor stadium. So only mud would be mud-slinging talk.
  • Toke69
    How much input does the UCD administration have on who does the broadcasts? For each football game I've seen on ESPN+ so far, they use the home-field announcers. This suggests that ESPN is handing the choice to someone at the host campus. I suspect the SID would be the person to contact if anyone has problems with the choice of the Aggie call and color guys.
  • movielover
    I thought it was the Associate AD / External Relations for ICA, previously Swanson, and Scott Brayden.
  • DrMike
    I’m watching the game now. Marsh does a decent job on play by play, although there are a number of misidentified players (we do throw to a bunch of guys, but….). Dunning wasn’t good, but I think that was a one-off. Scott Barry is pretty solid. Informative, usually doesn’t talk over the play by play. Doug Kelly is a bit droll and doesn’t add much insight. In Marsh’s defense, hard to get in synch when you have a new guy weekly. He’s certainly as good or better than most of the Big Sky guys I hear.
  • 69aggie
    I would agree with that DrM. We all love BD, but hey, we are all getting along and so can’t he just take a victory lap? And its who wins the game right, not who has the best media guys.
  • movielover
    They both completely blew the opening score. BD got better. PBP should know who's in at QB.

Funny, I think early on they were caught during a break, saying the stadium wasn't full.
  • DrMike
    it wasn't AS full as Dixie, but it was pretty full. the band section was 1/2 full, but the rest of the east side was full. west side was full. berms had quite a few people, not as many as the Dixie mob, but much more than normal.
  • Riveraggie
    I wondered why Gunnor Faulk almost never gets any mention of his quarterbacking a divisional state championship team in Georgia. Its the kind of thing you might expect Scott Marsh to mention. But, it turns out it’s due to the roster bio! Gunnor only played one year at Christian Brothers the prior accomplishments were at Pace Academy in Georgia.

Here is the roster bio:

CHRISTIAN BROTHERS HS '18: Played football all four years, baseball and basketball for one... With Faulk on each team's roster, Christian Brothers won football and basketball state championships during his sophomore year... Focused on football throughout his final two years on campus... Threw for 1,000 yards, and ran for another 400 during his junior season... Ended his senior season with 1,500 passing yards, 550 rushing yards and 55 touchdowns.

Gunnor, by the way broke most of the Christian Brothers high school passing records previously held by the Idaho State QB Tyler Van Der Waal.
    Gunnor was 13 of 15 with a touchdown as a high school sophomore in the state title game.
  • agalum

Gunnor is always right there on the side lines wearing a headset and cheering teammates on. I’m not sure how he competed in camp. But would love to see him get some snaps.
  • movielover

Spring season: "Completed 3 of 3 passes for 48 yards plus rushes of 5 and 3 in home opener against Cal Poly (3/20), his only appearance of the spring... All five plays came in the final series, with passes of 20 and 22 to Robert Simkins."

If I recall correctly, he also seems mobile.
  • Zander
    I seem to remember GF came in as essentially a wildcat QB late in the San Diego game -- he just immediately rushed up the middle after the snap a few times. Then his helmet came off and TT had to come back in

ESPN says two rushes for 4 yards this season
  • movielover
    I wished we gave our backup QBs more time vs Dixie State.
  • Riveraggie
    What’s with Winston Williams not having a roster number? He seemed to be one of our most offered recruits. The game notes by the way list everyone, not just the traveling roster.
  • Zander
    Yeah, it's pretty clear in retrospect now that Hastings and Tompkins at minimum could ahve moved the ball against a tired Dixie State.

Just noticed a peculiarity that I didn't pick up on before in the Idaho game video Finn linked before; right at the beginning of the 2nd quarter Faulk takes a snap under center as part of a super-short-yardage package that I can't recall seeing before. (Marsh mistakenly said it was Hastings, I actually forgive that one because the 4 and 7 can be confused and it was only for one play.)

Something deeply amuses me about the notion that Hawk apparenly has a chart of distances and at least two different gadget QBs that go in based exactly how close the line to gain is
  • DrMike
    he mentioned in the press conference that Faulk got in the game; I had no idea when. Good insight!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bob Dunning picks the Ags by 27:

AGGIES over IDAHO STATE … UC Davis is a team of destiny. Three fourth-quarter comebacks in a 5-0 season. The Bengals are hungry, but the Aggies are way too smart and way too focused to look past anyone. Expect another high-octane performance from the boys wearing Blue and Gold. Take the Ags by 27.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bobs-picks/
  • CA Forever
    I find this prediction more believable than him picking the Aggies by 24 or whatever it was over Idaho. The thing about the Big Sky is that it's any given Saturday. Got to show up and play the game. Look at Northern Colorado beating Northern Arizona for instance.
  • Riveraggie
    Having watched a bit of ISU against North Dakota, Sac State and NAU, they repeatedly look like they’re competitive and then something happens.
    Against North Dakota it was trying four runs at the goal line and not getting any points, against Sac State they shifted their defensive line just before the snap on a punt and got called for having a man over the long snapper, which is apparently against the rules. Against NAU they were in the game until they collapsed in the second quarter largely due to interceptions, thrown by their backup QB. If they don’t shoot themselves in the foot they can be a threat, their game against Sac is more indicative than their NAU game.
    The mobile true freshman NAU QB looked good, too bad he’s too short just like our guys.
  • DrMike
    Spring game they head us to 300 yards and 13 first downs at our place. Is their defense weaker? Our offense much stronger? Took a last minute drive to win. Hopefully he get a confident accurate HR back, and unleash all our weapons. I can’t take another nailbiter this early in the year
  • NCagalum
    ISU has had injuries at quarterback and running back. Their offense has not been consistent (or very good at all) this year. In their best game (against sac state with 21 points) they only had 280 yards).
  • Zander
    It must be good for team morale that even the 4th-string guy in the game's most visible position practices for moments where he'll be counted on for key plays. (Also since there were 9 linemen in on the Gunnor Package I imagine some of those guys don't get much playing time, on offense anyway)
  • agalum
    https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies-playing-indoors-on-saturday/

Said Hawkins, “When Magic comes into the game, you’d better put your popcorn down and sit on the edge of your seat.”
  • CA Forever
    If TT sees the field tomorrow I hope that we continue to let him throw the ball some. The kid is a game changer. He does nothing but win.
  • DrMike
    I guess what makes me nervous is that we really struggled on offense in spring. Have things changed that much since then? We were missing Gilliam, which effects us in many ways and we had two turnovers in March.

I expect a much closer game than Dunning
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!