• Riveraggie
    Connors has been on the depth chart at middle linebackers since the start of the season. But Smalley said they recently moved Porter to join the in the Inside linebacker group, but didn’t say when. Both Smalley and Connors started, one in place of Buchanan. Buchanan is listed at weak side linebacker,
    I don’t see how they split the linebackers up into two groups coached by different assistants in apparently different “rooms”. It seems guys move between inside and outside linebackers quite a bit.
  • DavisAggie
    the linebacker play is much improved this year
  • movielover
    Can we conclude that Combs' defense is successful? [See below.] That's over a 20% reduction in PPG scored.

What is our base package, and did we change it (going lighter up front) for Cal?

PPG allowed by our defense:

2022 - 23.7
    2021 - 22.7 (DC Combs 1st yr, favorable schedule)
    2019 - 29.3
    2018 - 27.4
    2017 - 32.2 (Hawks 1st yr)
    2016 - 37.1
    2015 - 34.2
  • DavisAggie
    faster lineman, faster linebackers, more depth; DB play may have taken a half-step back or could be the same
  • Riveraggie
    Injuries influence lineup in all games so I don’t think we know if there is a trend. Big defensive linemen out vs Cal. But we’ve got more options in defensive linemen than we had last year.
    We’ve been playing a number of new guys on defense a significant amount , at all positions. I think it’s going to jell, and then we can see what Combs wants to do.
  • movielover
    It looks like our schedule has been tougher, but here are some comparative stats anyway.

Total Offense - Weber 14 UCD 38
    Total Defense - Weber 5 UCD 38
    Team Passing Efficiency - Weber 31 UCD 51
    Red Zone Defense - Weber 2 UCD 66
    Interceptions - Weber 1 (10) UCD 13 (4)
  • CA Forever
    The San Diego result did not encourage me as much as it could have. Weber is a heck of a football team and they should be firing on all cylinders unlike last time we played. Offense is going to have to be entirely mistake free and the defense needs to tighten down and prevent their 2 headed monster in the run game from getting going.
  • Riveraggie
    Weber unquestionably should be favored in the game. The biggest reason is Davis barely beat them last year when they had their QB out, and aside from that win, they’ve owned Davis for years, and they have an impressive win against a what is probably a not very good FBS team.
    Comparative stats don’t mean much after 3 games when Davis played two teams tougher than anyone Weber has played, and Weber has played a division 2 team.
  • Toke69
    I spent 8 years at the University of Washington and the fans there told me that Oregon fans are notorious for not respecting any bounds when it comes to disrespecting other teams, their fans or their players. I'm not sure where that comes from because I've never met anyone who went there that was of such a despicable nature. Maybe it takes a few beers?
  • movielover

All valid points, our early competition has been better, maybe much better.

I'm hoping our strong showing in South Dakota bodes well vs a #2 team. We need to take care of the ball.
  • agalum
    Hasting doesn’t mind throwing into coverage. He didn’t get away with it with the jacks. He did with the Toreros. With Weber he’s going to get picked if he does. As movie said above, need to take care of the ball. Turnovers will put this game out of reach real fast.
  • CA Forever
    Another thing that I was looking at is how our WRs just aren't producing. Now I'm only watching the games online so I don't necessarily get to see what is going on downfield, but it's slightly concerning that the best game we've gotten from any singular WR through 3 games was Chaz Davis' 5 reception, 53 yards, 1 TD performance against Cal. Davis is additionally our leading receiver in terms of yards through 3 games... with 76... just over 25 yards per game. That is... less than ideal. Lan Larison and Ulonzo Gilliam have basically been leading the receiving game otherwise with the TEs chipping in.

Is Hastings just not finding open guys or are our WRs doing an exceptionally poor job of getting separation and finding the soft spots in the defense?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bob Dunning picks the Ags by 3:

AGGIES over WEBER STATE … A critical Big Sky opener for both schools. Weber State coach Jay Hill applied for the Utah State job and didn’t get it. Apparently, if you can’t join ’em, beat ’em, so his Wildcats went out two weeks ago and routed Utah State (also the Aggies), 35-7. This is a very good Weber State team trying to go 2-0 against teams nicknamed “Aggies.” Won’t happen. Take the Ags by 3.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bobs-picks-golden-bears-are-good-but-not-great/
  • Riveraggie
    I think they were playing an almost exclusive short passing game against Cal and SDSU due to fear they couldn’t pass protect.
    We are playing personnel that aren’t really deep threats, guys with great speed and skill with catching deep balls. I don’t think Tompkins is a deep threat receiver, or Poerio, or Kraft, and Hutton is too short to throw it and hope he’s going to outjump someone down field. We play a lot of two tight ends and threw deep to Gale. Chaz Davis didn’t play against San Diego, and they still averaged 16 yards per reception,
  • agalum
    In the sdsu game, Hastings was throwing some balls that were just behind the receiver making them uncatchable. That could have been a game changer. Castles had at least two drops from passes tossed behind him. He might be the closest we have to a deep threat. He has the size and physical presence to be a game maker. But the deep ball has been missing for a while (years).
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    It may be true but remember that Oregon vs UW is a huge rivalry that eclipses the Civil War with OSU and the Apple Cup with Washington State,
  • Toke69
    Yes, I think that's about right.
  • Toke69
    Does anyone know the spread for the Weber State game?
  • movielover
    I spoke with a WR Dad at the Cal game 3 years ago, he claimed JM, who he loved, couldn't go deep and that his son competed w the Cal DBs in HS.
  • NCagalum
    Hastings has gone downfield seldom, whether it’s a coaching decision or his reads/preference. When he has gone deep, including last year, he has not been accurate.

After seeing Gale pull away from the defensive back last Saturday, I would consider making him a wide receiver. Big body and tall - could grab 50/50 balls.
  • AggieFinn
    UC Davis @ Penn State...

Dunning: "Ags by 3 over Penn State..."
  • DrMike
    i haven't seen a 'vegas' type spread, but Sagarin has them by 1.5 points. There is a another national guy, Bill Conelly at ESPN, that has it 22.6 to 22.1, us. so a toss up. DRatings has them at 60% chance of winning. I have no clue how accurate these algorithms are at this level, this early in the season.
  • movielover

One or less TOs, and we have a 50% or greater chance of victory.
  • DavisAggie
    5dimes has Weber -3 which is about right
  • CA Forever
    Gameday! GO AGS!
  • NCagalum
    watching the Weber USU highlights the Weber DBs we’re jumping routes. One int was a pick 6 and one pick was in Webers end zone. USU qb was staring down receivers.

4 interceptions and 3.9 yards per throw for USU. pretty ugly although Weber threw 3 picks (obviously not as deleterious).

Ball safety/ turnovers are going to be a key factor in this game. I also hope our punting game improves/gets more consistent. Field position another key factor. (OK so I woke up as captain obvious today).
  • CA Forever
    Hahaha even if it's in captain obvious territory, you're completely correct. I think this game is going to come down to if the offense can play a clean game and if the defense can prevent their run game from getting going. Aggies have a chance if they can accomplish both of those things. 1 or more of them go haywire then I think Weber rolls in this one.
  • AggieFinn
    Will the heat favor Davis tonight?
  • movielover
    Doesn't affect teams of this caliber. They're in the groove.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!