• 72Aggie
    The No, 7 ranked Aggies finished the home portion of the 2022 regular season with a sudden death "golden goal" to defeat No. 3 Pacific 12-11 today. They conclude the regular season next weekend with a trip to Southern California to face LMU and UCSD.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2022/10/30/mens-water-polo-no-7-aggies-knock-off-no-3-pacific-12-11-on-golden-goal-by-connor-norton.aspx
  • Jackbacker2
    A huge win for the Aggies. Beating UOP inches the team closer to the level of the elite in Men
    s waterpolo. Traditionally this has been CAL, Stanford, UCLA & USC with UOP on top years making it a top 5. After playing USC so tough last year in the NCAA;s semis looks like Dan Leyson and the team are still moving toward a top tier progarm.
  • 72Aggie
    This will be a tough road trip. UCD, LMU and UCSD are the top three teams in the conference.
  • Jackbacker2
    Beat LMU 10-9. Today is a rest day and tomorrow against the Tritons. Hopefully the men get another win and enjoy playing against a pumped up team and loud crowd. I feel could with the 2 seniors Levi and Connor leading them.
  • 72Aggie
    Defeated UCSD this evening, 8-7. They finish the WWPA regular season 8-0, win the regular season championship and secure the top seed for the conference tournament which will take place Nov. 18-20. I believe this year’s tournament will be at LMU.
  • 72Aggie
    Ags easily defeated Fresno Pacific, 22-6, in the first round of the WWPA conference tournament. They will play Santa Clara, a 16-15 double overtime winner over Air Force, in a Saturday semi-final. LMU plays UCSD in the other semi-final.
  • Jackbacker2
    Thanks 72 Aggie--Went to the Aggie web-site--Then WTF! This is NOT the UCD team; BUT age group water-polo players. This is NOT OK. How did this happen? You just do NOT post children on the web without their parents permission. Second, how thick is our sports info team in not knowing the difference in caps size and pool venue.
  • 72Aggie
    FWIW: I couldn't find anything on the UCD site and went straight to he WWPA website. Even there it took a little bit of navigating and all I found was a list of Day 1 scores and an image of the site's Tweet showing the Day 2 schedule.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm couldn't find anything that you were talking about.
  • Jackbacker2
    Just checked the picture on the Aggie ICA web-site is NOT of the UC Davis team, but of youth water-polo players.
  • 72Aggie
    WWPA Semi-final results:
    UCD 12, Santa Clara 7
    UCSD 13, LMU10

For what seems like the hundredth straight year the Ags and Tritons will meet for the league tournament championship and a spot in the NCAA tournament.
  • Jackbacker2
    I like our chances. The Aggies are the defending champions and have a great team concept. I believe in Coach Leyson to have them ready!
  • 72Aggie
    Final from LMU: UCD 13, UCSD 12 (2OT - but water polo always goes to double OT)

UCD advances to NCAA Men's Water Polo championships to be held in Berkeley the week of November 28 to December 4. The water polo tournament is confusing as there are a series of play-ins before the play-offs.

UCD has the WWPA's sole bid. This will be the final WWPA men's tournaments as both the Big West and the West Coast Conference have announced they will sponsor men's water polo beginning with the 2023-24 school year.

The selections and brackets for this year's championships will be announced on the NCAA website this evening.

Go Ags!
  • Jackbacker2
    Watched the game on live stream. Aggies showed competitive greatness; they were their best when their best was called for. Great last possession to tie the game. Took control with better conditioning to control the game in over-time. The Age can play with any this year! They will do a great job at the dance.
  • 72Aggie
    Ags will play UOP in an “opening round” game on December 1st at Cal. Winner will play host Cal in one semi-final on December 3rd. Earlier, on November 28th, Princeton will host Fordham in an opening round game with the winner traveling to play USC in yet a third opening round game on December 1st, even if it is a second round opening round. Winner of that game will play UCLA in the second semi-final on December 3rd. Winners of the semi-finals will play for the championship on December 4th.

https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/waterpolo-men/nc/2022-ncaa-mens-water-polo-championship-scores-schedule-live-updates?utm_campaign=trending
  • Jackbacker2
    Aggies face UOP in the quarterfinals of the NCAA championship today. I will not be able to watch the game but I have seen the team play this year in person and through streaming.
    This team has an excellent chance to make the semi-finals this year.

The Aggies in my opinion are greater than the sum of their parts. Coach Leyson has taken the typical formula of having California players with a sprinkling of international players. He has had Spaniard, Canadian, New Zealanders to round out his squad. The Aggies have had stronger individual players in the past and some super stars in the recent and far past, but this year's squad has shown toughness and grit playing at their highest level when facing the best teams in the county. I was very impressed by their 1 goal loss to #1` ranked UCLA at Westwood. The Bruins led by 1 at the end of the 1st quarter, half time and 3rd quarter. The Aggies never went away but fought and scraped every possession of the game This is very impressive because of the physical demands of the game.

As for today;s game I believe the Aggies will win in a close one. The Tigers whined about the officiating last time, but the game was called true . It seems to me that they were hoping for a handful of bail-out calls which they did not get. The Tigers have reached the finals and have a history of talented international players who are used to playing under pressure and in important games. I call the Aggies to win. The edge being that for most of the UCD players this tournament will be the pinnacle of their polo career.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags will be without their senior attacker, Connor Norton, who had a recent medical emergency. Live stream on the PAC12 Network at 3 p.m. Thursday.

“He did not have a pulse when we got him out of the pool and we had to do CPR right there,” Leyson explained.

“All of his signs and tests are now positive and he’s making a full recovery, but he won’t be able to play. He was one of our key seniors and we’ll miss him, but we’re just glad he’s okay.”

Coach Leyson comments:

Aggie head coach Dan Leyson, now in his eighth highly successful season guiding Aggie fortunes, refuses to look past UOP, a team UCD beat, 12-11, on a sudden death goal by Connor Norton less than a month ago.

“They’re hard to stop,” said Leyson of the Tigers, who enter the tournament with a 21-6 overall record.

“They have a really, really strong starting seven, good at every position and able to score a lot of goals quickly. They can play with anybody in the country.”

Add to that the feeling among the UOP coaching staff that there were several controversial calls that went UCD’s way in their first meeting.

“I don’t agree with them (UOP) about the calls, but I know it left a bitter feeling for them, so they’ll be highly motivated,” Leyson added.

As if playing for the national championship is not motivation enough.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/water-polo-aggies-preparing-for-ncaa-championship/
  • 72Aggie
    With less than three minutes left to play the Tigers are comfortably in the lead, 10-5.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags fall 11-7. Pacific moves onto the semi-finals on Saturday.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!