• Toke69
    The Aggies travel to Cheney, WA to play Big Sky football rival Eastern Washington. The contest will be shown on ESPN+. The Golden Eagles have played a much tougher schedule than UC Davis, so do not be fooled by their record. They are a big team with 6 players at 6' 7" or taller, including 6' 10" starting forward Ethan Price. On the other hand, the combined record of the teams they have beaten is 7-36 (if my calculator is working properly). Their most recent loss was a close 77-70 setback at Texas Tech, so they might be rounding into form. This will be far from the toughest opponent the Ags will face before Big West play, since they go to UCLA on Dec. 21.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggie schedule a tough one in the next couple of weeks for sure. EWU, UCLA and Hawaii on the road before coming home to play Irvine who just may be the best team in the Big West.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This game will be a tough road test for the Aggies against a pretty good basketball team. The Ags lead the all-time series 2-1 having won last year in Davis 84-76. Anigwe had an outstanding game in that win over the Eagles. He had a double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds.

Eli Pepper is approaching another UCD milestone in scoring also. He currently sits in 21st place in all-time scoring for the Aggies with 1081 points which is just 25 points behind #20 Dominic Calegari who scored 1106 points during his basketball career with the Ags.
  • DrMike
    EWU is 4-7 with a win over hapless Cal; not sure they have a good win. They’ve played a challenging schedule. That’s a tough trip. Hopefully FT shooting continues to be good since we get to the line ALOT.

Semi homecoming for Pepper snd DeBruhl. Like to see Leo have a solid game - his confidence seems a bit shaky right now. Like to see his hard effort rewarded
  • Toke69
    EWU favored by only 2 points, but ESPN gives them a 70% chance of winning.
  • Toke69
    So far, so good. Ags making 100% of their free throws. :)
  • BlueGoldAg
    DeBruhl is fun to watch because he plays with such passion and effort. He has really improved a lot in the past year.
  • Toke69
    The end of the half was pretty strange.Lots of odd calls by the refs. Ags not hitting from the 3 line so far: 18%. If they were stroking at their usual rate, they might be ahead by double figures. I think the Eagles made an early mistake trying to get the ball to their big man, Price. The Aggies did a great job of collapsing on him and forcing turnovers or missed shots. I notice they gave up on that at about the mid-point of the half. Nice that we have the lead. Even nicer that they're shooting 90% from the free throw line. I suspect they worked on the mental angle over the finals break.
  • BlueGoldAg
    37-35 Ags at the half. We had several opportunities to stretch the lead to double digits at times but poor 3 point shooting and lapses on defense allowed the Eagles keep it close. The offense has not found a good rhythm.
  • Toke69
    Good to see Milling back. He's made half of their 3s. John Stockton is in the audience.
  • AggieFinn2
    I wonder if John Stockton ever attends UOP games.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Dreadful 3 point shooting by the Aggies 2-14 so far.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags can't get their offense going and are down 6 now. 57-61 with 9:27 to go.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Our perimeter defense is MIA. EWU is 8-13 from 3 and the Ags are 2-15.
  • Toke69
    Eagles have more assists (13-7) and rebounds (31-29). Ags have 10 more points from the foul line, but the 3s push everything to EWU's advantage.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This one is slipping away. The Ags can't make a 3 (2-16) and EWU can't miss a 3 (9-15).
  • Toke69
    Hard to believe that the Ags have now missed 17 3s in a row since the early minutes, one by Pepper and one by Milling.
  • DrMike
    I missed the first ten minutes of the second half; last 10 minutes we looked lost on both ends
  • Toke69
    This was easily the worst I've seen the team play this year. They lost their composure when they lost their lead. I'm going to guess that they will come home in January against UCI hoping to avoid a 4th straight loss. Hope I'm wrong.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags lose 79-68.

I think this may be the poorest performance overall by the Aggies this year. You simply can not allow a team to shoot 10-18 from 3 while we go 3-20. Way too many break downs on defense also. Les will not be happy at all with this effort.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Unfortunately, I don't think you are wrong, Toke. We just haven't found any kind of consistency game to game or even half to half this year. We don't seem to be able to stretch a lead and keep it throughout the whole 40 minutes. We even lost a 29 point lead to Boston University in the final 16 minutes of the second half before winning in OT.

I feel like this team has the makings of a pretty good basketball team but something is missing or just hasn't gelled yet. I can't put my finger on it but something is not clicking. If the coaches don't get it figured out, I think we'll be hard pressed to be in the top half of the Big West.

We can't have a game like this against UCLA, Hawaii and Irvine and expect to have a chance to win. The Bruins will run us out of Pauley Pavilian and Hawaii is always hard to beat in Hawaii. We follow those two games up with our conference opener at home against Irvine who is perhaps the best team in the BW.

We've had 11 games now figure things out but we're still very inconsistent and that doesn't bode well for us in these next 3 very tough games.

I'll be pulling for us but I'm not real confident at the moment...
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags came into this game as one of the top 5 rebounding teams in the nation but EWU beat us on the boards today. The last time that happened was in our 10 point loss to LMU.
  • Lizaggie
    Less TOs would help. Slowing down and ball control may help too. Fun to watch fast plays but if you get a ball passed to you under the net don’t miss the shot, and if you’re under the basket be prepared to get a pass. Players having more aware of where everyone is plus where the ball is might also help. I like seeing Pepper, DeBruhl, and Beasley on the floor. Hope they have a better showing Wednesday.
  • Toke69
    I wondered over the hyperbole of the EWU broadcasters calling us the best team in the Big West or one of the best teams in California. I guess that's how they pump up the Eagles to make the W a lot bigger than it really is.
  • Lizaggie
    The 3s made the difference, they made theirs. UC didn’t, which was unusual for them. Now they’ve worked out the FT they can work on other weak spots.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!