• BlueGoldAg
    There will be a couple of rule changes in place for the fall season.

1. The clock will not stop after a first down except in the final two minutes of each half.
    2. Teams may not call two time outs in a row. So no more consecutive time outs to ice the kicker.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bob-dunning-another-change-in-college-football/
  • movielover
    Are games going too long?
  • Riveraggie
    Now long drives can eat up more clock. Eventually a team will use up 15 minutes on a possession the current longest drive record is 14min 26 sec.
  • DavisAggie
    outliers should not dictate the rules
  • DavisAggie
    This will shave 10-15 minutes off games, easy.
  • Riveraggie
    I don't have an opinion on the rule. Drives will use more clock, and that assists offenses that aspire to minimize the opponents possessions by dominating time of possession. May be small effect, we’ll see.
  • Jackbacker2
    I like the rule changes for UCD. At the FCS level we have a limited number of players. Every time we play a FBS school we face more scholarship players and sometimes we have been worn down. The FCS play-offs are tough and extend the season to sometimes almost NFL length. Having less plays every game lessen the wear and tear at the end of the year and for those teams that go deep into the FCS play-offs.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I'm just glad they didn't add the rule where the clock would run on incomplete passes. That I was really against. It could just move the Overton window but I don't hate the changes. NFL rules are similar.
  • Jackbacker2
    At the FCS level cutting the number of plays run I believe is good the the FCS teams. No need to run a huge number of plays against FBS teams and the play-offs are very taxing.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Not a rule change but the NCAA is looking at possibly increasing the number of teams that get seeded in the FCS Playoffs.

June 1 update: The FCS playoff committee met in mid-May to review/discuss findings from the NCAA’s research regarding changes to the bracket structure after NCAA staff has been looking into what the change in cost would be to seed more teams. After review, the playoff committee has recommended seeding the top 16 teams in the 24-team bracket moving forward. It still has a couple of approvals to go through this month, including the Football Oversight Committee. The hope is by the end of June there will be more concrete news/details.

Whole article here: https://herosports.com/fcs-playoff-increase-seeds-bzbz/
  • AggieFinn2
    I think the NCAA is being cheap and lazy. They can get both seeds and help with their bracket structure at Home Depot.
  • NCagalum
    not to mention lime and fertilizer….
  • Toke69
    I always thought that they stopped the clock after a first down to allow the chain gang to reset? On the other hand the NFL does not do it, so maybe the chan gangs will just have to hustle like the pros.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!