• aggie6thman
    Hawkins has tweeted about how high school athletes should play multiple sports, maybe he would be ok with baseball?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I'd like that! I remember Marshawn Lynch or Deshawn Jackson at Cal playing on their baseball team and it was pretty cool.
  • aggie6thman
    Catcher? He's be bigger than the backstop.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Okay guys, I think I had it mixed up. Deshawn Jackson WAS going to play for their baseball team, thats what I remember but he decided to only play football after his first FB season there. Marshawn didn't play Baseball but did compete on the track team as well.
  • Riveraggie
    Davis used to participate in the PAC-12 in wrestling until we dropped the sport.
    We had several football players who wrestled.
    When we first played North Dakota State we dominated their offfenaive line and their coach said that Davis and Cal Poly’s defensive line were like wrestlers and they couldnt get them off their feet.
    Leads to the question: is there much overlap in skills between wrestling and defensive line?
  • SloStang
    At Cal Poly several football players have competed in track and a few have played baseball. Freshman running back Brock Mortensen will also play baseball at Cal Poly.
  • Riveraggie
    Davis dropped wrestling in 2010.
    Up until then we had occasional football players in wrestling team.
    Davis was prominent wrestling team with a national reputation.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Morgan Bertsch, the Aggie women's basketball talented post, is an outstanding high jumper who competes in track and basketball with the support of her coaches. I think that the Aggie coaches in our various sports don't have a problem with dual sport athletes. I think in Morgan's case that basketball may create some time limitations or conflicts with her practicing for track but she works that out with her coaches.
  • DrMike
    We have at least two players running track this year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I love it when we have football players who run track because that usually means speed!
  • movielover
    "gridiron standout" DrMike made The Enterprise.

OL Jake Parks had 18 sacks his senior year!
  • Zander
    On the subject of 2-sport athletes, I just noticed that Garren O'Keefe is one of the walk on commits. He's also a 20ppg SF for Colfax's good basketball team; I wonder if he's going to try to do both in college? Seems he'd fit into Les's system as a 2/3 if his defense is good.
  • DrMike
    dr Mike = grid standout? Fake news!
  • movielover
    Napa Valley Register: "Gramlick has an offer already from Fresno State and has drawn interest from two other colleges, Duke and Nevada."

His team ran the triple option.
  • 69aggie
    Talk about two sport athletes. Does anyone remember TIM LAJCIK? He was an all american in football and wrestling at UCD. He is a UCD hall of fame person. He then got into WWC. You have to see this youtube of him: “Tim Lajcik: Unlocking the Cage”. You will be very proud of an Aggie that did all the fighting stuff, then acting and is very well and soft spoken and intelligent about all things we all can elate to. Tim is a very impressive guy and a role model. Wish we had him now!
  • movielover
    Beast. I prefer this clip, talk about persevering and composure. Underground fight where he took on the champ. Tim in green shorts, Rocky intro, 7 minutes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpzS-Nj_FmM
  • movielover
    New walk on from ARC announced.

WR Jacob Sipes, 6'5", 193#s, 35 rec, 472 yards.

http://arcbeavers.com/sports/fball/2017-18/releases/20180213ke73dt
  • movielover
    Pesefea signs?

Or did we land a JC stud?
  • Riveraggie
    Maybe the new walk-in is the GIANT
    6’5”
  • Riveraggie
    “WE ARE NOT A SPREAD TEAM!!!”
    We often look like a spread offense.. three or four wideout receivers,QB in shotgun, frequent no huddle.
    Is Plough trying to build a brand or is there something different about shredville? I know their is something different but what?
    If it’s in relation to the walk-on, spread receivers are classically shifty types who are dangerous ball carriers. I would imagine a 6’5” receiver would be more of a possession receiver.. Perhaps we are a pro type offense now that the pros run a lot of spread plays. Any thoughts about that?
  • movielover
    A nuanced difference? Hurry up offense? ... or would the SO label have hurt Doss, ie detractors would say "he only put up those numbers because he was in a SO system?"

Edited.
  • Riveraggie
    the just noted walk-on is a wide receiver who played at American river with hunter Rodriques 35 catches.
    On defense we return our starting Nose Guard and defensive tackle, have a touted redsirt from last year who is a big guy probably at 6’4” 300 lbs next year and added the new 6’ 325 lbs guy who Thetoe thinks will be a contributor. Gould’s last recruiting class had 5 DL, three or four are stil on team and just getting where they contributed last year. We brought in a JC guy Cloud who started for us. We have bodies, the likelihood of a walk-on JC guy being better than the guys we have are slim. Coaches have to figure out how to get the job done. We returned most the secondary and added four more tall defensive backs. we’ve got a boatload of defensive ends and linebackers some of whom are actually good. We need some players to step up and be great.
  • movielover
    Copy.

What happened to the Northwest TE with the ridiculous wingspan? I hope he's a walk on.
  • Zander
    Could've fooled me. I suppose one might quibble that the Fly is an option offense but the way the Ags use it it definitely looks like a spread, as you pointed out.

Maybe it's harder to recruit RBs if you get known as a spread team?
  • Riveraggie
    I think we have blended some fly plays into the offense, but we aren’t a fly offense. I think we’ve borrowed bits of this and bits of that. Because we still feature a pocket passer and some longer developing routes we look like the current pro teams, at least to me who doesn’t watch a lot of pro football. Some of the college spread teams feature a QB who is a running threat, and short quick passes to receivers that have running back skills.
  • Riveraggie
    It’s come to me that Ploughs tweet is likely a metaphor for spring practice starting. That Aggies are the Giant, albeit a sleeping one. The boat is the stadium.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!