• CA Forever
    HA! I mean I'll take what we can get, but some diversity would be nice!
  • movielover
    Instead of another article on Gould...why not a one on one with Kevin Daft about why our offense struggled for 2 years. He might feel a bit freer to speak his mind now... Or daft and McCann.
  • GunRockFaceMask
    Movielover,
    To me the recent culture needs to change in a big way! Additionally, too much time has past to find a coach with "the Davis way" credentials.
    Right now (next year) we need to start winning, period. The coach that can bring that fire is the coach we need hire.
  • fugawe09
    Here are my thoughts
    • Blue seems to have been planning to fire Gould for quite a while. I don't think it would have mattered even if we won the close games this season.
    • I think Gould has known --or should have known-- for a while that he was going to be fired. He seems to have a new job lined up pretty quickly if he was truly blindsided. Blue and Gould may not have talked about it beforehand, but there's a fair chance it was "double secret".
    • $117k is a lower number than I would have expected. I know buyout terms typically decrease in the later years of a contract, but it seems like a good deal if it is a clean break. At least compared to George O'Leary (University of Central Florida) who was fired mid-season last year and then rehired as a 12-hour per year "consultant" fetching $200k annually through 2020.
    • In Bruce's article, it mentioned that the $117k buyout would be "mitigated" if Gould found new employment in the next 13 months. If his Fresno State job holds true (not sure what the official start date would be), it sounds like we could get a discount on the buyout. Curious what happens to the balance of the donor money in that case... return to donors or used for other football purposes?
  • movielover
    My guess is they save the dough. Win-win-win. The full contract is posted online.
  • oldschool
    When I watch Charlie Strong interviews, I can't help but hear Coach Gould. Well liked by his players, highly respected as a man, but disappointing results on the field and a swift end to his season. Coach Strong gets $10 million as a buy-out though. I wonder if he will look for another job soon...
  • movielover
    Recent Aggie profile on Coach Gould: The Gould standard

5 minute drills, and Big Brother / Accountability Teams.

https://theaggie.org/2016/11/21/the-gould-standard-2/
  • SochorField

"Since his appointment, Gould has taken UC Davis’ football program to a new level — both on the field and in the classroom."
    Uhhhhh, what? I just don't know what to say. This is actually insulting to the legacy of past Aggie coaches.....is this representative of a student population that has no clue what they are watching?
  • BlueGoldAg
    For the most part, yes...
  • movielover
    +2.

I took it for what it is. An undergrad got to spend half an hour with a gracious coach, probably their first interview with a DI FB HC.... we were once this young.
  • OldAggie
    The key to improving our big three sports programs is to give the coaches what they need. If we don't make institutional changes, we will be having the same conversations in three years for all sports. I believe Blue is the right guy to get us there, but he can't do it alone. I certainly don't think Gould had it all together, but we asked him to recruit championship level talent with average (at best) resources. In the end recruiting is as important, if not more, than the X's & O's. Washington State was in the hunt for the Pac-12 North Title, and they lost to EWU. Does anyone really think we've ever had that level of talent. Don't point to the year we beat an awful Stanford team...that may never happen again. We have to recruit as close that level of talent as possible, and it starts with friendly academic admissions (which requires academic support infrastructure once they get there), better facilities (at least a weight-room, coaches offices, and meeting rooms at the stadium), and the best benefits we can legally provide. We all love Davis and are proud of our school, but we have to offer a lot more than the "UCD Degree" if we want to win this conference or the Big West in hoops or baseball.
  • goaggs1
    Glad to read coach Gould will continue his football career:

On offense, the biggest question is whether interim head coach Eric Kiesau will be retained as coordinator. There are reports Marcus Arroyo, the former San Jose State quarterback who worked under Tedford at Cal, has been targeted for that position. I have also been told Ron Gould, the longtime Cal running backs coach who was recently fired by UC Davis, will have a spot on Tedford’s new staff. http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/marek-warszawski/article117302268.html

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/marek-warszawski/article117302268.html#storylink=cpy
  • movielover
    FWIW, I wasn't expecting championship level athletes or teams from Coach Gould, but hoping to get to 6 or 7 wins ... which changes the equation. Six or 7 wins makes us stronger in recruiting, and at 7 wins maybe we even get a playoff birth. This is what I think many hoped for with Coach Gould.

That kind of progress then brings Momentum for facilities improvements, and continued success in recruiting.

OldAggie, did you just see non-scholarship USD paste Cal-Poly? No schollies, probably no state of the art Training Facility, either... which I am not against... but it's not an excuse... I really don't think new coaches offices will get us 4 more wins a year.

Now time for fundraising to kick into high gear.
  • movielover
    Still no new job for Coach Gould?
  • agalum
    Still no new job for Coach Gould?movielover

His Twitter page has been fairly quiet. After that one article in Scout about him going to Fresno, I haven't heard anything new.
  • Davisbear
    I saw Coach Gould at Starbucks in Davis yesterday, so he's still in town. It will be interesting to see where he lands next
  • movielover
    Last DE article said he would be teaching PE for the time being...
  • movielover
    FootballScoop, and several SoCal websites say that Gould is a candidate to be the RB coach for the Trojans.
  • 69aggie
    Wish the best for the gould family. They were great friends and great at what they did. Just did not work out. Move on with pride.
  • BlueGoldAg
    That would be great if he gets the job. He has certainly proven that he's a great RB coach while at Cal. Best of luck to the Gould's.
  • Davisbear
    Saw Coach Gould at the south Davis Starbucks this afternoon, so he's still in town. I suspect he will land somewhere soon.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This is great news for Coach Gould and his wife. He's back to doing what he does best coaching RB's and they both get to return to the bay area where they have deep connections. I wish him the best with The Cardinal.
  • CA Forever
    Congratulations Coach! While I am very happy he is no longer here at UCD (as a coach, not a person) I am equally as happy that he was able to land another job. Stanford is a great program and I'm sure that he will find success there.
  • movielover
    In a Stanford publication Gould said he and his wife felt like they died and went to Heaven.

Will TG still work at UCD?
  • agalum
    In a Stanford publication Gould said he and his wife felt like they died and went to Heaven.

Will TG still work at UCD?
    movielover

My guess would be no. Universities often have special packages for the spouse of recruits, at least in the academic setting. And with her talents, I bet she lands in Palo Alto.
  • 72Aggie
    I'm betting that whatever the Junior University can offer will more than make up for any interruption in either of the Goulds' UC retirement plans.
  • DrMike
    i just had a co-worker leave here to work at Stanford. one of the big draws was the tuition assistance program:
    'Receive assistance with up to four years of undergraduate college tuition (a maximum of $20,625 per year as of 2012-13) for eligible dependent children attending approved colleges and universities. Staff members qualify for this program after completing five years of continuing benefits eligible service.'

co-worker has 3 kids that will be hitting college within a few years of each other.
  • zythe

Most private colleges participate in that program. When I worked at a private liberal arts college I literally "billed" other colleges for tuition expenses.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!