• BlueGoldAg
    I'm sure he is in concussion protocol. Hope he doesn't end up with lingering symptoms.
  • Kerberos
    Well, all 3 FCS games so far have delivered something completely different from what any of us expected.
  • agalum
    Can we score on their reserves?
  • Kerberos
    Their starters are still in. Weird.
  • agalum
    Ok, i have a Weber BBQ. Why do they pronounce "weber" "weeber"? I would imagine it should be spelled "weaber" if thats how they want to pronounce it.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Magic 8-ball says: "Don't count on it."

Dang. :(
  • Russ Bowlus
    As a German immigrant, John Henry Weber probably would've pronounced it "VAY-burr," so everyone's wrong. ;)
  • Russ Bowlus
    That said, here's the wikipedia entry:

"Pronunciation:
    The proper pronunciation of Weber's surname, Weeber or Webber, has been debated. In the American East and Midwest, where Weber spent most of his life, the name is pronounced as Webber. This is substantiated by Warren Angus Ferris' map of the fur trade era in which he gives the name of the Weber River as "Webber's Fork." However, references by other fur trappers, such as Osborne Russell and Daniel Potts, give credence to the long vowel sound. The long vowel pronunciation is used in all Utah place names. Weber's own family descendants use the traditional Midwest pronunciation of Webber."

Clear as mud. :D
  • Russ Bowlus
    This is much more interesting than watching a botched hand-off.
  • movielover
    Back to reality?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yep..with a resounding thud...
  • movielover
    So we now know that Maier isn't Joe Montana and Hawkins isn't Bill Walsh.

Were we outcoached that badly, lack of execution? Probably doesn't hurt that they have more film on us.

Boy, I wish we still had Josh Kelly.
  • Kerberos
    Absolutely. Our lack of a run game imposes a pretty inflexible ceiling on how well our offense can do in any given game.
  • PortlandAggie
    Well, not what I expected. But, 2-2 is better than 1-3 or even 0-4 like pervious years
  • BlueGoldAg
    I like your "glass half full" perspective...I'm still working on it after the past 6 years!
  • tokyoag
    Next week should be better. The Ags better take out their frustration against a struggling UND team at home.
  • agalum
    Size, team speed killed us. They were just better then we were. Move on to the next week. But beat cal poly and suc. 50% season would be a positive step.
  • movielover
    I thought Gould recruited for speed every year? I know a few key players left.

The same claim was made about PSU in past years, 'better athletes'... is it possible that 2 blocked punts and their lack of focused were do critical?
  • movielover
    Congratulations to a few new freshmen contributing tonight. Tehran Thomas had 60 or 70 yards on offense, including 2 catches and 4.8 ypr average. Congrats also to redshirt freshm Connor Airey for recording a tackle at the LB position.
  • DrMike
    3 huge plays for TD's ?, inability to get a TD after first and goal within the 5, and a bad early INT-> RX for disaster vs a good team. Once it was 17 3 their D pinned back their ears and sent a ton of pressure. Weber is a better team. But not that much better. That long pass and the 98 yard run were killers. Somehow we have to get six points out of those first and goal posessions.
  • movielover
    Any insight into the issues with our O line? ... back to similar issues under Gould, and suggestions from AST that we run some bubble screens or other screen plays as a partial solution?
  • Bige70
    That is was a turd in the lunch bowl. Nothing to do but move on, learn from it and pretend it didn't happen.
  • Goags20172
    As long as it's not in my dinner bowl >:O
  • agalum
    If the band-uh was there, we would have converted inside the10. We need them back at ALL away games!
  • BlueGoldAg
    The final stats are telling:

Total yards: WS 430 Ags 373 - not a huge disparity given the 41-3 final score.

Rushing yards: WS 222 Ags 13 - we've had problem running the ball and Weber forced us into being one dimensional on offense.

Passing yards: Ags 360 WS 208 - but Weber got all their passing yards on only 8 completions which equals an average of 26 yards per completion.

The big plays killed us: 98 yard TD run, 67 yard TD pass and a punt return for a TD.

We had 2 early 1st and goals inside the 5 and came away with 3 points.

Maier's first INT was big also even though the D limited the damage to a FG. Maier has a tendency to throw dangerous passes into tight coverage when he pressured and he got pressured a lot. I know those passes at least give the receiver a chance to make a play but he had 2 INT's and several others were close.

They have players who can make the big plays and they burned our DB's often and we weren't able to create any pressure on Cantwell.

They were the better team but I don't think we played very well either. We failed to contain their big plays, turned the ball over and failed inside the red zone. If we could have found the end zone early in the game when we had a chance, it might have given us some energy.

We need to put this one behind us and play better next week.
  • DrMike
    no great insights. Thought they played well vs Portland. They were able to stick to game plan, toss in some wrinkles like I-formation and wildcat, and used careens and swings to keep defense off balance. Today we put ourselves in such a hole that they took away a lot of our game with tons of pressure. Move forward and learn from it
  • DrMike
    weird to say if only..... when we lose 41-3 but that was what I was thinking. After the punt return, it was most over. When we couldn't get a point out of first and goal, it was done. We had -48 in sacks so we ran for 61 -> subpar but not totally anemic
  • aggie6thman
    I'm sure whatever game plan we had going in was thrown out the window once we were down 17-3 at the end of the first quarter and especially at half.

UND is no slouch even though their record doesn't reflect it. Have to focus on the Fighting Hawks (doesn't sound right).
  • DrMike
    we'll lead the cheer of 'screw the sioux' for old time sake
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!