• movielover
    Coaches had good replies in the Davis Enterprise.
  • zythe
    Last nights loss hurt, but I still think we are going in the right direction.

Everyone has a bad loss.
  • movielover
    Hawkins said something in the DEnt like, "Momma said there were going to be days like this, we just didn't know it was today."
  • DrMike
    a lot of young guys out there facing their first case of adversity, and we didn't handle it well. it was 10-3 and we punted them into a hole. great place to turn the field position, and be in a place where you can tie it up. 98 yard run? 17-3 and we got a little desperate. still its 17-3 with 4:00 to go in the half, one hold and regroup at the half. 84-yard punt return? yikes. a quick 3-and-out, a 54 yard pass and 17 yard TD pass...31-3. with them getting the 2nd half kickoff. at 17-3 their defense REALLY got aggressive. at 24-3 they were like the '86 bears blitzing poor Tony Eason play after play. Big Sky = Big Plays. that's been the story of the past couple weeks. i think we'll regroup and be okay. i thought if we could get ONE win on this road swing, this team was ahead of schedule. now we need a win on the home stand.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nice analysis... (Y)

A game like this, where we had some early chances and missed and then got burnt with some big plays that left us in a deep hole, is the kind of adversity that can teach a young team a whole lot. It won't be easy for the players to watch the game film this week and see where they broke down and made mistakes but they can learn a ton from it.

We'll be ok if we learn from our mistakes, make some adjustments, put it behind us and get thoroughly ready for North Dakota. Learn, move on and get better...
  • Riveraggie
    Thanks Dr. Mike I was getting depressed.

It does seem that we have reverted back to our condition a couple of years prior to Biggs' departure where we had an almost total inability to run the ball. At the time the offensive line coach, who is still with us, said something along the line that we had so many plays where the offensive linemen moved laterally that they lost proficiency at just plan down the field run blocking. To get some run effectiveness Biggs added a fullback and also experimented with the wildcat. But now we seem pretty poor, generalizing from this game. The fly sweep plays seem to be inherently vulnerable to defensive penetration.
    I really was expecting that we would be good in the red zone this year because of our coaches, but nothing worked yesterday. I think we need to figure out how to run the ball again.
  • movielover
    The Sage speaks.

I didn't watch the game but was part of the meltdown after Parenteau left? Zach Jones was key last year (with RP), and this year it seems to be RP and Olave as mainstays?
  • DrMike
    I don't think there was s connection. Long passes were streaks past our CB isolated in man. I didn't see the long run ( all out run blitz exposing the next level?) punt return looked like we had him pinned down and runner made a great run ( and we may have missed a tackle or two) Weber had big plays vs cal so it wasn't too shocking. The fact that they bunched them like they did was a shock.
  • DrMike
    I'm pretty happy with 2-2. A lot of new faces, completely different scheme (especially the run game), good FBS team and three playoff type (maybe PSU was overhyped?) FCS team and our recent years of losing had me fearing an 0-4. We'll compete, but it's gonna be a challenge every week
  • Goags20172
    Happy nice things and no sarcasm.
  • DrMike
    I have to say that the Southern Utah trip is still high on my road trip list (2019 is the next time out there i think), because of the National and State parks near Cedar City. And my wife's uncanny slot machine luck may pay for the trip with our one night overnight stay in Vegas!
  • Goags20172
    Ah, but you made your own fun Dr. Mike. It's no fair using the nature card- that requires using your imagination lol. Still the Aggies have done better in Cedar City, and I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the teams involved :D
  • aggie6thman
    Montana is a fantastic place to visit! Fishing, hunting, hiking, if you love the outdoors it is the place to go!

The reason why people show up isn't because they are bored, it's because Montana and Montana State are the only game in town.
  • Goags20172
    :D lol you made my point for me re: Montana fans. Those are more of the make your own fun activities one could do closer to home..

Ok, I see people are starting to take me very seriously about this, and I don't have any likes so it must not be funny. I'll take the post down before anyone from Cheney, Wash reminds me that the city was named after the former vice president when he visited there on his 50th birthday back in 1863.
  • aggie6thman
    Don't take it down! People who love the outdoors live in states where they can hike and generally stay away from New York City.

I get what you're saying. ;)
  • movielover
    No UND thread?
  • CA Forever
    Sorry I've had a ton of work to get done. I can try to get one up this sometime this week or if someone else wants to start one they are welcome to do it!

GO AGS!
  • Goags20172
    Ah, the fighting hawks. I'm glad they clarified that the hawks are fighting. I was concerned they might be the Twitter Hawks.

I wonder why Niagara University has the purple eagle as i's mascot. The eagle makes sense, but I don't get the purple. That could be offensive to people with difficulties seeing certain colors.

One of these days some school is going to get sued and change their mascot to the human being like the fictional Greendale Community College in "Community".
  • The Big Easy
    You can really see where the Aggies made mistakes in this game.

Game highlight video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fU-2qbQo-I
  • DrMike
    on the long run, we had 10 guys in the box, and the SS (lone back) pinched in on the run. that lane was wide enough for me (the now me, not the one from 35 years ago) to get through untouched. he's got good speed, so he was off to the endzone. the punt return was ugly. had him trapped on the sideline and bad angles (along with a couple blocks in the back at the 30 and 40) opened up a huge lane. put it behind us
  • OldAggie
    We are 2-2. We beat a terrible team and a mediocre team. We played pretty well against a FBS, and got destroyed against a team in our league. We are a long way from being at the top of this conference. I've said it for years, we need to make institutional changes (which I believe are slowly happening) and it's a long road. Hawk is a step in the right direction, but put him in Gould's shoes and I think we still have 4 losing seasons. Patience.
  • movielover
    4th and short at SLO, Hawk would go for it. ... I also don't see us perpetually coming out flat before a game under Hawkins. Budgets jumped under Gould and likely again under Hawk.

We get to 6 or 7 wins, recruiting really changes. An exciting brand of ball will also entice ballers. We're headed in the right directipn. Now bring back the steam engine and cow bells!
  • SochorField
    We get to 6 or 7 wins, recruiting really changes. An exciting brand of ball will also entice ballers. We're headed in the right directipn. Now bring back the steam engine and cow bells!movielover

Also love how the "Davis" helmets seem to be back for good, and the CA logo has made it onto the home jerseys. Also, helmets do not appear to be touching the ground. All good things.

I know I got too excited too soon. This is going to take time. The product on the field is far better thus far than under Gould- clock management, risk taking (for better or worse), player motivation, etc. The level of coaching experience and talent is obviously well improved across the entire staff.
  • OldAggie
    Don't celebrate too early. 6 or 7 wins seems great, but remember, we would be 1-3 if we played two FBS teams like the past few years. Not to be Debbie Downer, but we are not there yet.
  • movielover
    Were helmets touching the ground in recent years?

I'm with you OldAggie. Maier helps... we miss Kelly... new system, new playbook. A record recruiting class has to help, fantastic move by Dr. Blue.

I've only seen one sentence on injuries (Jared Harrell), so either they are way down or not a focus.

Go Aggies! Home cooking for 2 weeks!
  • DrMike
    like many of us, my hopes rose faster than a skinny kid on a tetter-totter. I'm trying not to let them drop faster than the chubby kid on the other end! There's going to be growing pains along the way but I think we're on the right path.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!