• movielover
    Interesting discussion on College Sports Network

Will Cal and UCLA ever let UC Davis move to FBS?

UCD has room to expand campus ... to 60,000 enrollment?

Cracker box gym?

Football attendance an issue.

$5 Million donation for Phase 2 facilities?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-835314.html

[Edit for clarification.]
  • Goags20172
    I don't think it's up to them. UCD is what is mainly in the way of UCD joining the FBS. And why do it ? You expand seating to 60,000 and you'll have 52,000 empty seats. The students aren't going to be less indifferent just because better teams (Not CAL, they still won't come) come to steamroll the Aggies.

This the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say the university acts like it's too big for its britches. The D- I move has slowly been killing the fun atmosphere since 2005. Luckily bball brought a little of it back.
  • movielover
    The reference to 60,000 one person made was campus enrollment.

Several wrote about our plans to expand AS to 30,000.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Cal and UCLA are a non-factor. The commenters on the board are right. We are good in FCS and need to focus on our issues first. Cal and UCLA wouldn't care if it was the MW or some other mid major conference because they'd still be top dogs along with Stan/U$C. Its not an Alabama vs UAB situation at all.
  • CA Forever
    I don't think UCLA and Cal are holding UCD back at all. A move to FBS is totally irrelevant at this point because we don't have the support from the students or community to support it nor are we consistently competitive at the FCS level. I'm not saying that a move up will never happen, but currently we aren't even close and should just focus on making our program competitive where we are now. We have to be able to walk before we try running.
  • zythe
    Although I would love to be an FBS school, I think a couple of more years with winning seasons would be good for us.

Also, we don’t have the stadium built out yet.

If we win, we’ll get student and area residents’ support. I’m pretty confident of that.
  • movielover
    Reasonable members there say we have options in the future.
  • SochorField
    Will Cal and UCLA ever let UC Davis move to FBS?movielover

I think we will do a good enough job of that on our own.
    We need to figure out how to get more than 150 students to show up to conference games first.
  • 69aggie
    The last time I looked an FCS school had to average 15,000 fans for two years to even qualify for FBS status. Our stadium does not even have that capacity much less the attendance. Next there’s the scholarship money issue: 22 more schlarships for FBS. Next there’s the TIX issues- woman’s sports expenditures will have to equal the men’s sclarships increase. Next there’s the operational expenses issue: at least 4-5 million dollars in new coaches, travel, equipment, etc. etc. . . I believe only Liberty was able to do this recently and they fill their 19,000+ stadium every game. So, Cal UCLA are the least of the worries. CSN just a lot of blah, blah, blah for its readers and no helpful insight at all.
  • Davisbear
    Not even worth talking about, need to focus on winning more games and filling up the stadium first. I think if the team wins, the students will come out. But in general the overall fan base for football and basketball is just not there. I was surprised at the small attendance at the Northern Colorado basketball game. I noticed they had pulled out the center bleachers and was hoping the stands would fill in, but the attendance was lousy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!