• Zander
    UC Davis must be the only D1 school where the school needs to make a conscious effort to get students to drink MORE on gamedays, not less.

That being said, it's seriously a great idea. RAs can get some of the freshmen walk over but hopefully upperclassmen turn out big for the cheap beer.
  • Fiat Lux
    I've actually talked to some people in my classes who are pretty hyped for the tailgate and the game so there is hope tons of students will turn out!
  • CA Forever
    Talk to more of them, get them hyped, have those people get other people hyped. We need this to be the loudest, rowdiest, Aggie Pack in the D1 era.
  • agalum

And have them bring their cow bells!
  • Bige70
    And bring back Kenny Kane, aka the "Chicken Man."
  • agalum
    7618D694-A9B0-45FE-9600-784305AFCA13.jpeg

Coaches show at El Macero. Not sure if this is open to the public or not.
    Attachment
    7618D694-A9B0-45FE-9600-784305AFCA13 (116K)
  • lucche
    I think having a quick place to throw the football could help Maier if he is getting too much pressure. That would be have Doss on one side and 6'7 Martinez on the other. Martinez only needs to jump and catch the 5 yard out, while Doss and Harrel can just do what they do.
  • PortlandAggie
    The “Chicken Man” was during my time at school. Find that dude and bring him back for one game, that dude was awesome.
  • Bige70
    @PortlandAggie, that was my era as well; Kenny Kane was remarkable. I think a good portion of students came to see him as much as the game.
  • agalum

Are you guys talking about “Captain Aggie?”
  • PortlandAggie
    Could be, I don’t remember if “Captain Aggie” and “Chicken Man” were/are the same person but man, those were the days.
  • CK2
    I was there during the Capt Aggie days. Indiana Aggie. Chico the burrito Bomber. Woodstocks pizza into the stands. Launching Chico's burritos into the stands. Chants like "whose SOCKS are these?" (as someone holds up a pair of socks. In unison, SAC ST SOCKS. Fans were always there at those games. BUT they were used to winning. During my 4.5 years no Aggie team lost more than 4 games, went to the playoffs every year, and were led by the following QB's:

Mark Greib (10+ years in Arena league)
    Kevin Daft (drafted 5th roudn of NFL)
    JTO (drafted 5th round of NFL, 10 year career)

There was a culture of winning. Hawk is bringing that back and the fans will follow. If you build it, they will come. Everything is pointing in the right direction.
  • movielover
    Was the Chicken Man the character who spoke like "Ugga ugga ugga bugga?" and such?

I believe the Chicken Man and Captain Aggie are different guys. ... it was a team effort. ... KK came back periodically after graduation, fun ... but not the same... students were not completely in sync.
  • fugawe09
    There was something special about the north end zone for sure. Interesting write up on AP history on DavisWiki. Anybody remember Aggie Fanatics, the fan club for general public? I still have some of the shirts. You could earn Aggie Bucks for checking in at games and trade them in for free swag.
  • agalum
    Captain Aggie worked on campus, i think he was a janitor for facilities. He lived in Woodland. He continued to come to games, he sat in section 122 and would always be in the Bruce Edwards room at half time. I always greeted him when i saw him. The last time i saw him, maybe 5 years ago, it looked like his health was poor. While doing the Captain Aggie gig, he got in a little heat with the administration which i dont want to put out publicly. He had a great costume and was good at working the crowd.
  • DrMike
    Some interesting changes for this game since it’s officially hosted by the NCAA. Parking in lot 56 is limited only to Team Aggie donors (only one spot, and has to be person on the list), because ESPN and NCAA needs a good chunk for parking. No stadium club hospitality-> NCAA taking it over for merchandise and other ‘experiences’. I think announcement today that ASUCD is paying for students is due to NCAA rules against ‘free’ tickets.

I’ll be there earlier than normal for a good parking spot and soak up the atmosphere
  • Zander
    Ah, I wondered why suddenly ASUCD was sponsoring the student section.

Shifting money around was really the only logical option; I don't think we're at a point yet where students will pay for tickets.

Edit/afterthought: I remember being a little perplexed at SDSU when I had to pay $5 to see a home playoff soccer game. I'm glad UCD collectively has the means and will to subsidize compared to smaller D1 schools.
  • Southendzonefan
    Lurker here.. Ran into Captain Aggie last Friday night at Woodland COSTCO.. He is not in the best of health..... driving a chair... Still Captain Aggie through and through.. Go Ags!
  • Toke69
    I see the game will b eon ESPN3 which I do not get in Hawaii. Anyone know of another way I can watch the game live?
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Toke, ESPN3 is ESPN’s streaming video service. The feed can be accessed via the ESPN app (iPhone, Apple TV, etc.) or ESPN website.
  • movielover
    I saw Captain Aggie last game, yes, health compromised... I recall he had a cape, don't recall him at every game in my time.

Why should students pay? They funded a large portion of the stadium.
  • CA Forever
    Wow, anyone else surprised at how quiet the UNI fan forum is for a team that has been fairly consistently good to great over the last 10 to 15 years and are currently in the 2nd round of the playoffs?
  • agalum
    Wow, anyone else surprised at how quiet the UNI fan forum is for a team that has been fairly consistently good to great over the last 10 to 15 years and are currently in the 2nd round of the playoffs?

Agreed. I posted over there to stir up conversation. I think they see the writing on the wall regarding this game.
  • aggiemba

Chicken man was a huge crowd favorite. Also what about Super Pope?

I'll never forget there was a "preacher" on the quad one day condemning all college students for being fornicators. Super Pope appeared and matched him word for word only condemning college students for not going to the women's lacrosse game.
  • DrMike
    NCAA regulation. I mentioned on a FCS board prices for our game and someone said ‘you must have a sponsor buying them because NCAA doesn’t allow free tickets for playoffs’ . From what I gleaned from that board, Aggies were the only students getting in free ! And they have a hosted tailgate!
  • movielover
    Nice.

FWIW, I pinged a NI beat writer to refrain from using 'UC-Davis'. He agreed.
  • Riveraggie
    Article on game. Mostly drawn from UNI press conference. Key info is their first team all conference cornerback missed games with ankle sprain, warmed up last week but didn’t play, so I would expect he will play. McCann is calling their plays as OC is out do to father’s death.
    Elsewhere I saw that one of their linebackers has two pick sixes this year and four for his career. Duncan Ferch

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/fcs-playoffs-uc-davis-has-earned-uni-s-respect/article_015b528f-c58f-50ee-834c-076e38ee2c70.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
  • agalum
    FWIW, I pinged a NI beat writer to refrain from using 'UC-Davis'. He agreedmovielover

Not sure it is the same guy, but they like "Cal Davis" also.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!