• DrMike
    Virtual kickoff was moved up to this week, Juky 23-24. Hawkins and Ulonzo Gilliam represent the Ags. State of the Big Sky kicks off coverage on the morning of the 23rd. Should be interesting.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/7/17/football-big-sky-virtual-kickoff-moved-up-to-july-23-24.aspx

It’s bring shown on Pluto
  • NCagalum
    My favorite quote so far (Barnum from PSU) when suggested that he had a good sense of humor. “If you didn’t have a sense of humor growing up in the Barnum household you got your A$$ kicked”.
  • DrMike
    Anything interesting from the commissioner? I believe these were taped last week from what I understand. At least our contributions were.
  • NCagalum
    The commissioner did a plenary introduction but no details on fate of season.

I did not realize until today that Ed McCaffrey was the new UNC head coach. I think that’s a good hire for them. He was very, very eloquent in the interview. I thought most all head coaches handled themselves well. I got to thinking- if I had a son being recruited to any of these programs I would feel good about most (in terms of head coach). There is one I would definitely not feel good about (no names but he coaches at one of the “brawl of the wild“ schools - he just drips with arrogance and at times was sort of a jerk to the interviewer. He or someone else across from him was just holding a phone and the view was bouncing all over the place - needed anti-nausea medicine time watch. Beau Baldwin was a bit disconcerting as he keep looking down at his lap and I assumed he was constantly checking his phone. Not a good look - other coaches at least tried to look engaged. Also found out that Wyoming QB transferred to Idaho State. Montana State had picked up a transfer from NC State earlier. Don’t know what to think about this transfer portal thing. Most of these guys (especially these two) are not going to get a sniff at the pros. I don’t think the NC State transfer will even start at Montana State.
  • 69aggie
    So is Friday going to be the day the “big announcement” will be made by the BSC on the upcoming football season? They cant wait much longer or can they?
  • DrMike
    Missouri Valley said ‘business as usual’ in an announcement today. They are less spread geographically and in states less impacted, so maybe they can pull it off. Big Sky is much more challenging. I can’t imagine San Diego’s conference will try for fall
  • SloStang
    Pioneer Football League just canceled all non conference games. That means both Davis and Poly will lose the game with San Diego.

My bet is we played conference only schedule in the spring if we play.
  • DrMike
    I agree with you on that. Not sure when the Big Sky will decide, but that what I’m expecting.

As for San Diego, their closest games are Davis and Poly, both in state. And those get cancelled
  • SloStang
    I see that PFL member Morehead State is asking the Pioneer Football League for an exemption to play their scheduled game at Montana. I would bet USD would do the same for Davis and Poly. Does not make sense to cancel their only in state games.
  • DrMike
    i think their reasoning is based more in timing than travel. Pushing first games until late September pushes camp to late August. Our camp should be going now to get ready for our Aug 26 opener; I expect camp to start closer to August 26 or Feburary 26. Hopefully not February 29

Their coach is 77; pretty high risk!
  • blueforce
    Big West conference canceled Fall Sports yesterday. Hard to imagine the Ags only fielding one sport in the Fall... although that could be the highest profit quarter in UC Davis Athletics history.
  • Fiat Lux
    Even if we do end up fielding a football team in the fall, I find it hard to believe there will be fans in the stands. Outside ticket/concessions revenue, where else do we see revenue? Is there a TV contract with Pluto? Usually we would see revenue from FBS games but that looks unlikely as well.
  • DrMike
    if there are fans, it will season ticket and limited family. I could see the box seats being every other row, staggered from section to section for distancing. No concessions. Masks. Much of our big donor base is way up in the high-risk area , so it would be interesting to see who would opt in.

It’s not clear to me all schools in our conference have the resources to meet protocols required, especially after losing payoff games.
  • agalum

If its fall ball every other row at best seems possible. But you could still end up with non family members next to you. Base it on donation level? Lottery? Spring ball would hopefully make covid precautions more subdued. Fall ball just seems like a very remote possibility. As much as we love football, student health needs to be the big priority, and i believe it is in the eyes of the department.
  • NCagalum
    I just don’t see how things are going to be different in the spring. I think either go This fall or just wait until next fall.
  • NCagalum
    Good news for MVC. Looks like we may be able to watch a little college football this fall. I will have to adopt a MVC school if Big Sky does not go. Football in spring just sounds to weird to me. Don’t know that conditions will be any different then unless a vaccine is out.
  • NCagalum
    Looks like MVC looking for lead by ACC Big12 and SEC to make final decision. If any conference goes it would be SEC due to the importance and culture of the region. Big12 probably the other end.
  • movielover
    A lot of games aren't packed to begin with. Spread em out, and maybe have an age cap (70? 65?).

Regarding the health of students, those under 30 already have an extremely low mortality rate.

Rarely does anyone mention the 'unintended consequences' of our prolonged lockdown - reportedly spikes or huge jumps in suicides, attempted suicides, drug & alcohol use, domestic abuse, depression, etc. I believe these are some of the reasons why football was played during the Spanish Flu.
  • fugawe09
    max age of 70? You just cleared out most of the box seats! Would it really be Aggie Football without a bunch of old guys in khaki pants and straw hats golf clapping?
  • movielover
    ... and / or have people sign legal waivers (assumption of the risk?).upon entry?
  • DrMike
    If they let us in, there’s no telling what the seating will look like. I have 4 seats in our box, AgAlum has 2 and my buddy opted out. They would have to spread us out over a couple boxes to get some type of distancing. If a majority of boxes renewed, we’d be spread out over the whole west side. I’d hate to lose our current seats (40 yard line at the top, great view AND shade) but seems inevitable.
  • DrMike
    Seems to me IF our Aug 29 game were to be played, we’d need to start practice right about now. I don’t think we’ve progressed past small group ‘walk-throughs’. Big Sky nor Mountain West have announced anything but...,

At least neither conference has players threatening to boycott like the Pac12.
  • movielover
    This article might add some sunlight to the Big Sky's / Covid potential risks. Look at the infection rate, per million, in North Dakota, Montana, etc.

We aren't New York, or the Bronx.

https://www.outkick.com/florida-texas-and-california-have-a-fraction-of-covid-deaths-of-new-york/
  • DrMike
    This probably concerns them more:

https://news.yahoo.com/these-are-the-13-states-that-need-to-lock-down-now-according-to-harvard-coronavirus-experts-162201179.html

Two states, Arizona and Idaho, on the shut down list, California and Utah on the next level.
  • DrMike
    Sounds like we’ll know (maybe) more tomorrow. The BSC already pushed other fall sports back, waiting in football

https://www.montanasports.com/big-sky-conference/big-sky-conference-delays-fall-sports-decision-new-meeting-next-week
  • DrMike
    Nevada started ‘practicing’ last Friday. I believe we were originally slated to start Saturday but I believe that’s on hold.

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/2020/07/31/nevada-football-wolf-pack-2020-schedule-tickets-mountain-west/5557534002/
  • 69aggie
    The Montana, Utah, AZ and ID teams will vote to go for it. CA, WA OR, CO teams will vote no so it is very doubtful there will be BSC football this year IMHO. So, again, a virus becomes a political "football". So sad.
  • movielover
    Especially since there look to be many downward indicators, and it primarily effects those 75+. I've read numerous claims the mortality rate is now well below the seasonal flu. And then the HCQ drug combo is attacked, I don't ever recall such an occurence to a safe, cheap drug.

Maybe they just delay the season?
  • Riveraggie
    Teams who wish to do so should play the games on their schedule that also wish to play.
    Without full stadiums, little risk above what people face in other activities.
    Whether the season is cancelled or not, some students/coaches/fans are going to catch COVID.
    NCAA could say the limited season doesn’t cost a year of eligibility.
    Issue shouldn’t require near unanimity of opinion between various colleges and politicians.
  • DrMike
    I can’t see us playing the Reno game in August 29. They have started modified practices and I think we’re still at the small group stage. USD is out. SJSU?
  • Idaho Aggie
    Here's an excerpt from a story about University of Idaho athletes today (8/4/20):
    '9 Vandal athletes test positive for coronavirus
    UI official says other students have quarantined, some with symptoms and others without

Nine cases of COVID-19 have emerged among 125 University of Idaho student-athletes tested during the past month, the school confirmed Monday.

The majority of reported positive cases are among football players, and two Vandal staffers have contracted the virus, according to multiple sources close to the program who spoke to the Tribune on the condition of anonymity.'

If I had to bet, I'd bet the same thing is going to happen across the country. It's hard to see football happening into October.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!