• Toke69
    I see on ESPN that the UC Davis men's team opens the season on November 25 at the Pavilion against Nicholls State. The Colonels are a Southland Conference team that was 21-10 last year, but has lost six seniors. They are at Davis to start a long swing through the west. A legitimate Div. 1 team they should provide a good test for the Ags as they force a lot of turnovers and are returning both starting guards.
  • DrMike
    it’s actually down at Santa Clara as part of a tournament. Looking forward to watching online. Lots of new faces and names to get familiar with.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggie website doesn't show any links to any kind of media coverage of the tournament, Did you find a link for watching the Ags online?

The Colonels look like they like to play up tempo and run. They averaged 77 ppg last year and, like you said, they force a lot of turnovers...18 per game last year. They will be very athletic and scrappy. I think this will be a tough test for the Ags.
  • DrMike
    I haven’t seen any links for coverage. Blue mentioned that it would be online during a donor meeting earlier this week. It might be a feed from Santa Clara. Really tough test coming in with a limited preseason practice schedule
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Santa Clara’s website doesn’t show the tournament at all. Hopefully they get the stream up.

This game reminds me of the last time we started the season down at at SCU. It was Chima’s first year and we started with a loss to an athletic Tennessee State team. That was a good test, as this one will be. We need to figure out on offense how to replace our shooters, and on defense how to match up with bigger teams. The big west has some quality big men (UCI most notably) that we’ll need to contain.

Go Ags!
  • Toke69
    Thanks DrMike, the ESPN site I saw made it look like a home game for the Aggies, but it's pretty clear now that it's a tournament including UC Davis, Nicholls State, Santa Clara and Idaho State.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Finally some information for this weeks invitational at SCU. It mentions that the SCU games will be streamed, but doesn't say anything about the non-SCU games.

Bronco Invitational

Bronco Invitational Schedule
    Date Game Time
    Wed., Nov. 25 Idaho State at Santa Clara 4 p.m.
    UC Davis vs. Nicholls State 7 p.m.
    Fri., Nov. 27 Santa Clara vs. UC Davis 1 p.m.
    Idaho State vs. Nicholls State 4 p.m.
    Sat., Nov. 28 UC Davis vs. Idaho State 1 p.m.
    Santa Clara vs. Nicholls State 4 p.m.
  • DrMike
    I’ll reach out and see if anyone knows
  • DrMike
    Sounds like it’s probable that only the Santa Clara game will be streamed. Some snags trying to get the others set up.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Too bad, but not surprising. It'll be radio time!
  • DrMike
    I’m not do sure about radio. Hope so. I’m going to see if I can find anything out
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Hmmm...I just assumed there would be radio, but I guess in this world now, I shouldn't assume anything. Real time stats????
  • DrMike
    games will be on KHTK from what I’ve heard.
  • Toke69
    ESPN gives the Aggies only a 44.3% chance to win.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It looks like there will only be radio with Scott Marsh on KHTK 1140 AM and Live Stats for this game and for the game with Idaho State. I expect the Santa Clara game will be live streamed.

The Ags are 2-0 lifetime against Nicholls State having beat the Colonels 82-71 back on December 22, 2012.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/11/24/mens-basketball-uc-davis-starts-2020-21-season-vs-nicholls-state.aspx
  • BlueGoldAg
    Santa Clara beat Idaho State 62-49 in first game of the tournament this afternoon.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    No surprises in the starting lineup. Manjon, Squire, Pepper, Fuller, and Koehler
  • Toke69
    Geez, only one starter over 6'5". Reminds me of the teams I used to watch when I was there back in the 60s and early 70s.:grin:
  • Oldbanduhalum
    So no Hogland this weekend. Hurt his hand in practice. Borra is out due to his knee injury in high school. He might make it back late in the season. Anigwe is sitting out due to transfer rules. Ags have appealed that and hope they can get him at some point. So back to small ball.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Ags down 4 at the first media to
  • MTBAggie
    Wow, 33 first half fouls. Should be an interesting 2nd half.
  • MTBAggie
    20 turners and the Aggies take a loss on the season opener.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Way too many turnovers and some very poor defense. Lots of work to do.
  • DrMike
    Turnovers were a concern coming in, especially with the odd preseason practices. Les can’t be thrilled about giving up 101. Looks like we can score; defense will be a challenge
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ooof..Les won’t be happy giving 101 points and turning the ball over 20 times. Lots of work to do for sure.
  • movielover
    NS is led by HC Austin Claunch, at 31, the youngest head coach in the NCAA. 14 wins his 1st season, 21 wins last year.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!