• CA Forever
    Almost another interception. 4th and goal for the Toreros
  • AggieFinn
    Alright, kept 'em out.
  • CA Forever
    No good on 4th down. Turnover on downs and that's the game. Aggies win 53-7.
  • movielover
    We lost the TOP game ... by a lot. s/

Hastings 5 - 12

Smalley, Eaton, Duncan, Thomas shine on D.
  • AggieFinn
    I was watching Rudy in the background during the finish of the game. They carried him off the field as the clock ran down and I was tearing up. Great win for Davis, the kind of win they should have if they want to be considered legit...this is how you follow up a big upset to open the season, you show consistency, both offensively and defensively.
  • 69aggie
    TT is special. TV guys said it again and again. Probably he and Larison are the best athletes that were on the field today in SD. I hope the Niners saw Hawks new two point conversion system in action. It will work with Lance as it did with TT. The position players on the left are all deception. It requires an agile and versatile QB to work. TT is all that and does it for us. Trey can do it for the Niners. Great win!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Two big wins and a full house, next Saturday should be rockin in Davis!
  • CA Forever
    I think a combination of the Aggies being very good and the Toreros having a down year. As I had earlier in the thread this was the first time in as long as I can remember that USD wasn't picked to win the pioneer
  • zythe
    Can we beat EWU? They have always given us problems.
  • NCagalum
    yes we can beat them. But, need to do it and get the monkey off the back.

Watching Montana- western Illinois. I haver never been so thrilled as when the Ags went into Missoula and gave Montana and Bobby Hauck their worst drubbing at Washington-Grizzly ever (2018)
  • Zander
    I still view that as Hawkins' signature win, more than the FBS wins against undermanned or struggling Group of 5 teams. Going down three possessions and then achieving that kind of victory margin was just a standout declaration to the FCS that things had turned the corner in Davis
  • zythe
    That was an epic game. The homers couldn't contain themselves.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Montana looks very good.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The white jerseys and tan pants are my least favorite Aggie uniforms. Bland and boring, IMO.
  • NCagalum
    yes they have a good defense. I really dislike Hauck- so. I admit a bias against them. They don’t appear to have the offensive weapons of say the Ags and EWU, but defense always gets you far.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I don't care for Hauck either or Aaron Best.
  • DrMike
    I was pleasantly surprised how we shut them down. They had 330 yards but over 100 was after we had 46-7 lead and emptied the bench. I’m still a little concerned about run defense. Seemed like big gaps there, unless they had to abandon the run game.

I liked the agressive approach early ( flea flicker, 2 point tries) - set a tone that we weren’t going to take our foot off the throttle. Helps to have a kicker to kick it out the end zone and eliminate big special teams play.

Other minor nit….Hunter had a couple forced passes that could have been a disaster against good DBs. He avoided those v Tulsa.

Home opener with big crowd and good chance to be 3-0? Good time to be an Ag
  • 88Aggie
    I was at the game. Very hot and no shade in the stands. Hunter had a lot of yards but also missed several open receivers. Should get sharper as the year progresses I hope. Lots of UCD fans, more than expected which was pretty cool
  • DrMike
    if you were the USD AD, and saw no fans in the stands (some in the shade above the stadium) wouldn’t you think on scheduling night games in September? I get the Pioneer league games since teams need to get back East but not for preseason. We played night games here before, once in mid November. Last two years have been miserable
  • 88Aggie
    I agree. I’m sure the heat kept people away. I went back and forth myself on whether I would go. Ended up leaving after 3 quarters as my friend who lives in SD but did not go to either school, so not a fan, wanted to get out of the heat. Missed TT punt return unfortunately. I knew he would be a good punt returner. Hope they keep him there in future games
  • DrMike
    2008 and 2010 we had 6:05 kickoffs, one in September one in November. Perfect conditions for football and I remember their endzone fairly full with students. Not so the last two trips.
  • 88Aggie
    Three minutes into the video and you see Tompkins punt return

https://wccsports.com/watch/?sid=466890
  • Riveraggie
    I’m mystified why we have Doug Kelly as a commentator. Since I knew from watching the Cal Poly game that the San Diego play by play guy wasn’t the greatest, I watched the game with KTHK for audio. Big disappointment. Its just sad People get lazy in jobs, and those two guys are a case study.
    They don’t know the roster. Its not that challenging to internalize that some jersey numbers are used by different players on offense and defense. At one point they informed us that Trever Facey was getting a lot of play as a reserve linebacker, he.s a 5’7” diminutive running back, who shares a roster number with a linebacker who’s played a lot over the last two years. The guy who’s not doing play by play should be able to catch that kind of error.
    I think you could listen to Kelly all season and not learn a thing. He has no association with the school, what’s he doing there?
  • movielover
    FCS media types paid pennies, you'd figure passion would take over. Did he highlight Budgett or Smalley much? (Budgetts second game, DB size we don't usually have.) DK may be related to Ken O'Briens wife.

How about rotate in former players, Gazanaga, Preston Jackson, Biggs?
  • Riveraggie
    I think his best comment was on the two point conversions that somebody must have seen something.
    When KDVS broadcast the games they had better commentators. Doug Kelly knows something about the Kansas City Chiefs on the 20th century. That’s got him this far, and he’s comfortable with that.
  • agalum
    Toreros jump into the fire again next week, visiting Montana State Bobcats. For years they would hang mainly in their weak conference then go to the playoffs by virtue of being conference champions. This year appears to be their toughest schedule that i recall.
  • DrMike
    was reading comments post Cal Poly, and their coach didn’t seem pleased with the schedule. One scholarship game is okay, but back to back? To back? That’s a stiff challenge.

I was surprised in that article how many of their seniors stuck around (I think 16) and they had a couple transfers. I thought that attrition might have explained their drop off in talent
  • Riveraggie
    Perhaps we’ll be complaining about our schedule next year if we’re 0-2 after Cal and South Dakota State.
    Cal Poly was likely a winnable game for them, as Cal Poly is still a work in progress. Can’t blame the schedule for losing to an unranked FCS team, when you're a perennial playoff contender. If they were 1-1 they wouldn’t be complaining about the schedule.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!