• BlueGoldAg
    Did they ever have grass tickets? I always thought that the fans in the grass areas had seats but chose to sit in the grass to get chase the shade or so their kids could play.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Yup, the end zone "seats" were (will be again?) GA tickets.
  • DavisAggie
    I see plenty are available in future games
  • movielover
    Recall the 2 point conversion Magic ran in the special formation. TT one on one with a linebacker?

Imagine that formation on 3rd and short, or 4th and short in a critical juncture, in a critical game. EWU? Midfield.
  • DrMike
    i thought it odd v Tulsa when we brought him in on 4th and 1, and lined HR up behind a guard as deception. cute setup, but we lost a blocker. he finds holes, and is VERY patient. i swear that punt return took 20 seconds, but it may have been heat stroke.
  • Zander
    They must be including end zones in the student allotment this game, the 6,000 estimated attendance number thrown around means that they expect over half the capacity to be students. I would hope that means tactical moves to organize events by the RAs, but also might just be a logistical consequence of there being less things to do than normal in Davis this summer.
  • Zander
    I thought it was Larison who took the snap on that trick play vs Tulsa, but I might have missed it and/or the announcers didn't name him right.

QB under center -> direct snap to halfback seems like a pretty standard and useful trick play to have in the kit; it would be weirder to me to bring out TT in the backfield specifically for that play because it pretty much screams to an opponent who did their homework that he's going to end up with the ball.
  • Riveraggie
    The advantage of running run “ trick” plays with personnel not giving it away suggests that we should run regular plays with TT in at a regular position sometimes. He could be in there as a slot back.
    Imagine TT getting the ball on some screen plays with a few blockers or in Fly sweeps.
    Then without changing personnel have him take a snap at qb, with Rodrigues as a wideout. In the spring they had HR and TT together in the backfield, and either could get the snap. We could run some “special” plays with no huddle, so they don’t have time to substitute. Not to mention TT might be able to run most of our offense when he does take a snap so they don’t know what the play is until it develops.
  • DrMike
    it was Larison. Makes more sense now.
  • NCagalum
    agreed on the Dixie qb assessment. He is a load (I call him Herman Munster) but keep him in the pocket and you”ll sack him and he is an erratic passer. Dixie hung with Weber for about a half then they simply got worn out and overwhelmed. The Ags should roll them. Hope they do like usd and hit early and hard and take them out of the game early. Their best defensive player (I think a previous poster got his name backwards ) was injured in the Weber game. Dixie plays a murderers row of FCS. Weber, then the Aggies, then South Dakota State, then Montana. There is such a thing as playing better competition to make you better, but I think it may lead as much to discouragement and getting used to losing.
  • movielover
    Game officially a sellout. I hope students stay at least until halftime.

Would be nice if Hawkins pulled some first half trickery to liven it up. More 2 point fun?
  • agalum
    From todays Dixie Sun News

https://dixiesunnews.com/news/articles/2021/09/13/sports-opinion-dsu-football/

“ #2 – No “Offense”, But…

There’s no denying that the Trailblazer offense has struggled to put up points on the board. DSU has been outscored 60-10 this season which means they have only reached the end zone just once this season. Compared to last season, DSU had put up 55 points through their first two games. If a team fails to score and score frequently, it is difficult to win football games. Again, the level of competition is far higher than DSU has ever played before, but it’s hard to believe this is what they’d hope to see offensively this season.”
  • Zander
    I would hope that the trickling in TT at WR for pass plays that we were seeing this Sat means they're building up to some fantastic trickery once defenses are used to seeing him lined up on offense for generic stuff.

The concerning part to me is that I'm pretty sure he's gotten the snap every single time he's in the backfield this season, which is a bit of a tell. I hope they bring back the formation you mentioned (I still want Dragonfly to stick!) with both HR and TT in the backfield to mix that up.

I also saw Crawford back in the action and I just imagine the fits that will cause defenses having three passers to cover
  • Goags20172
    It would be nice if the students even show up to take the seats allotted to them..

When you come right down to it this is about more than just simply liking a sport or not having anything better to do. It's about being willing to show up to support other students and their efforts on behalf of the school. College students sometimes forget to support their own immediate communities when they rhetorically defend others much further away. I blame the smartphone for creating the illusion of a single global community when really it's many distinct communities that can communicate with each other.

Now obviously a student can't attend every event or even most of them, but a few games here and there across multiple sports in the space of four years isn't asking much. They're paying for it-why not ? Sometimes you have to wonder what the level of school spirit is. If they sold other schools' gear at the UCD bookstore, would UCD students buy and wear it around campus if it were a little bit cheaper than the UCD stuff? That would be an interesting social experiment.
  • MTBAggie
    I work with a few Davis graduates. They never went to any sporting events while they were there in the early 2000s. You don't have to support athletics to have school spirit, especially in an academic-first school. They laugh at me regularly for knowing sports scores and knowing the names of female basketball players. But, they are proud of their engineering degrees. Davis isn't TX or any other school where the kids grow up with HS football being religion. Plenty of students at Davis probably didn't even play a sport in HS, and, I'd argue that a lot of the kids that go to Davis probably didn't get along with the "jocks" in HS. I don't think school spirit should be linked to attendance of football games. There are a ton of clubs and activities that allow kids to be a part of the UC Davis community.

When I was there in the late 90s, I had plenty of classmates that never attended a sporting event. Mostly, they were studying much more than I was.
  • movielover
    I supported or tried almost everything as an undergrad. Sports, blood drive, Black Family Day, Whole Earth Festival, social dance, volunteering, PE classes, Coffee House concerts. Though I can't recall if I ever made the Picnic Day pancake breakfast. Never made it to the top of Mrak Hall, never tipped a cow or made it to Plainfield Station (when did it open?).
  • Toke69
    Does anyone of you have an ESPN+ account? Since I can't get to Davis very often, I want to see the game, but I'm wondering how flexible their streaming is? Can you watch it on a delayed basis? Record it Watch the entire game replayed? Any reviews or comments about it would be welcome.
  • Riveraggie
    Replays of the full games are available on demand. I don’t know yet for how long as I’m a new user too. The replay includes the commercial breaks but thankfully not the commercials themselves. Video and audio quality are unchanged from Pluto. Better than what we saw from the WCC site that carried USD game
  • BlueGoldAg
    I've found ESPN+ good overall. I've been watching Jake Maier in the CFL too. Of course, there are lots of other teams to watch that are of interest to Aggie fans also. Pretty good deal for $70 a year. As for the commercials on the replays, you can always skip forward to avoid matching them.
  • MTBAggie
    I've been happy with ESPN+, but it was only a $1 or so per month to add it to our Disney+ account.
  • 69aggie
    Punt returner. One of the hardest positions to play next to DB. Why not let IT concentrate on DB and let TT take over as the No. 1 PR? I know, hard to sit a captain. I have to think after last game Hawk has to be giving it some serious thought. Frankly, I admit I did not know TT could even return punts before last game.
  • DrMike
    it will be interesting to see if we've made upgrades in our video capabilities with the move to ESPN. i remember reading that some Big Sky brass had toured different stadiums to see what changes could be made -> not sure where the money comes from. I know Scott Marsh and Scott Barry are doing the announcing.
  • Riveraggie
    As I understand it, from the Idaho blog guys, who actually had someone attend the big sky media days, the conference had some money to upgrade the capabilities of schools who may otherwise lack the resources. One example was Idaho State. Those guys didn’t think UCD was in the needy category,. But the conference was going to do an assessment of where the teams were so as to get teams to a baseline.
  • NCagalum
    can’t “record, but can watch on demand for at least a week subsequently (maybe more but haven’t explored that).
  • NCagalum
    and you can fast forward the Leo ugh most commercials.
  • Riveraggie
    I just watched a little of the Tulsa game again, so more than a week. I hope it’s as long as the big sky site, which was the season
  • NCagalum
    Anyone know the status of Devon King? Is he injured? Not playing football now? I know the Ags seem to have good depth in the secondary, but I always thought he was their best cover corner and tackler. Just fun to see him play.
  • Riveraggie
    He was on the travel roster against SD, not against Tulsa. Hopefully he’s getting over an injury. He missed last few games in the spring. I’ve been hoping to see him out there.
    It is disappointing we don’t have any reporting on the team. When a guy like Devon was the star of the 2019 game with San Diego, you would think the game announcers might say something about his status. The game notes educated us in his nickname but not on his availability.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    King was cleared to play at usd but didn’t dress. he’s still day-to-day but I imagine he might get some time this week.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!