• movielover
    Davis Enterprise: "In the interest of public health and to ensure the safest possible environment for spectators, coaches and student-athletes, UC Davis will require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within 72 hours of the event at all Aggie home football games the rest of this season.

"The policy will go into effect starting with the Saturday, Oct. 2 contest against Idaho."

Interesting. The elites didn't wear masks at the Emmy's, Obama's birthday bash in Martha's Vineyard, or even Aggie / Mayor London Breed when out partying recently. (She has twice now broken her own rules, and referred to her critics as "fun police".)
  • CA Forever
    Good. I hope it's strictly enforced. It's not hard to do your part to keep everyone around you safe.
  • BlueGoldAg
    100% agree.

It is the people who are unvaccinated who are continuing to drive the Covid pandemic which has now killed more people than the the Great Flu Pandemic of 1918.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2021-09-20/us-coronavirus-death-toll-surpasses-1918-flu-pandemic

Based on approximately 530,000 hospital admissions with confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis in June-August 2021, we estimate 98.6% of hospital admissions with COVID-19 during this period were among unvaccinated people (1 – 7,617/530,000 equals 98.6%). Reports of COVID-related hospitalizations among unvaccinated people range from 95% to 99.9% by state. Based on a recent CDC study of 13 jurisdictions, we used a conservative estimate of 86% of COVID-19 hospitalizations were unvaccinated people.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/unvaccinated-covid-patients-cost-the-u-s-health-system-billions-of-dollars/
  • Riveraggie
    I’m vaccinated and would get a booster if they offered one, but I have to point out that the vaccine does not prevent vaccinated people from spreading COVID.
    It is primarily of benefit to the vaccinated, in lessening severity of symptoms when they get a breakthrough infection.
  • agalum

On the short term with the delta variant, yes vaccinated people can spread the virus. But it appears this is a short term issue. The delta variant reproduces so fast it takes a few days for your primed immune system to catch up. Once it does, shedding should be mitigated. Boosters bring your immediate titers up to deal with this rapidly reproducing variant, and while i havent seen the data yet, my hunch is boosters will decrease shedding live virus.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes and the percentages of breakthrough cases in the vaccinated is extremely low:

The data reported from these states indicate that breakthrough cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are extremely rare events among those who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (see Figure 1). The rate of breakthrough cases reported among those fully vaccinated is below 1% in all reporting states, ranging from 0.01% in Connecticut to 0.54% in Arkansas.
    The hospitalization rate among fully vaccinated people with COVID-19 ranged from effectively zero (0.00%) in California, Delaware, D.C., Indiana, New Jersey, New Mexico, Vermont, and Virginia to 0.06% in Arkansas. (Note: Hospitalization may or may not have been due to COVID-19.)
    The rates of death among fully vaccinated people with COVID-19 were even lower, effectively zero (0.00%) in all but two reporting states, Arkansas and Michigan where they were 0.01%. (Note: Deaths may or may not have been due to COVID-19.)

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/covid-19-vaccine-breakthrough-cases-data-from-the-states/
  • cmt
    Movielover gonna movielover just like always.

If he just posts the part about the changes UCD is making regarding fans at sporting events, it would be a perfectly fine post. Instead, he has to include his biased far-right viewpoint, as he does all too frequently.

It's ironic because movielover should probably take the advice of some of the right wing pundits he certainly follows on TV/Twitter when a famous black athlete speaks out on political matters and just stick to sports.
  • Riveraggie
    UCD seems to be taking the minority position on this. Haven’t seen Cal doing this, or the SF Giants. I think the arbitrariness and lack of uniformity of these policies is what people find irritating.
  • movielover
    Remember "15 days to slow the spread"? Now we're talking jab #4. Meanwhile, Sweden had no mass scale lockdown, and Denmark seems to be following suit.
  • DrMike
    this is the new rule as of September 20 for mega events outdoor (10000). I suspect that’s why we had 9999 on. Saturday. Not sure how the other teams will react; Giants lifted their restrictions May 18. But reading more closely, sounds like it recommended for outdoor mega events, required by indoor.
  • cmt
    But seriously, is there any sort of moderator presence on this board? How hard is it to tell him to keep this crap to the OT Forum (or better yet, just stop altogether) or get booted? I’ve seen other boards do it all the time to trolls. It’s not that hard.
  • movielover
    It is directly relevant to the next home football game. At least 6 people have replied in a civil manner with various input.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I am an active member the Model Ship World Forum which is a forum for model ship building enthusiasts, We have over 35,000 members world wide. The forum does not allow any topics or posts about politics or religion or posts that are sexual in nature and the moderators monitor the posts carefully. A member can get up to 2 warnings and is permanently suspended for a 3rd violation.

With over 35,000 members, we have folks of every political and religious persuasion and most certainly all sexual orientations but warnings are rare because everyone respects the rules not to post about these topics. The forum is for ship modeling discussions and that's what we do. I've made friends from all over the world on the MSW forum through our collective interest in ship modeling.

It would nice if politics were kept out of our Aggie sports topics and everyone just discussed our love of Aggie athletics. I with you on that 100%.
  • Zander
    I think the first two paragraphs of the initial post are relevant, the last one absolutely isn't. It described events that are not football games and not even in the same county. A better comparison would be to rules at other football stadiums as a compare/contrast thing I think.

I just try to ignore the politics on the non-OT forums, I feel/hope the way to make a platform less useful for stuff that doesn't belong is to just not be part of the audience. Discussion of the latest science is a different matter IMO because it can help to inform folks' decisions on whether they're going to go to the game or how they'll interpret guidelines if any offer flexibility.

The study that found that vaccinated people can get infected and spread COVID-19 (Provincetown) had significant shortfalls -- not due to study design, but self-admission from the authors on the limited facts they actually looked at. Other research shown that mRNA vaccines still do help prevent you from getting sick from Delta in the first place, though obviously with less efficacy than earlier forms of the disease. So there's some assurance that you're less likely to get coughed on by someone who is actively sick with the virus if you're surrounded by vaccinated people, and less likely to catch it if you are exposed.

This one shows that infection-prevention effectiveness fell but was still at 50% in nursing homes during delta -- bear in mind, a very vulnerable population that also got their shots early: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7034e3.htm
  • cmt
    Evidently reading comprehension is not your strong suit. So I'll be more clear.

These two paragraphs are directly relevant to the next home football game:

Davis Enterprise: "In the interest of public health and to ensure the safest possible environment for spectators, coaches and student-athletes, UC Davis will require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within 72 hours of the event at all Aggie home football games the rest of this season.

"The policy will go into effect starting with the Saturday, Oct. 2 contest against Idaho."
    movielover

There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting that.

This paragraph, however, is not the could not be any less relevant to the next home football game:

Interesting. The elites didn't wear masks at the Emmy's, Obama's birthday bash in Martha's Vineyard, or even Aggie / Mayor London Breed when out partying recently. (She has twice now broken her own rules, and referred to her critics as "fun police".)movielover

So again, I, nor anybody else on this board (I'm guessing) has any issue with the first two paragraphs. Just post that next time. This isn't that difficult.
  • AggieFinn

In answer to the moderator question...yes. 05 and I are moderators, however, he's raising a big, growing family and running administration for multiple City projects in the South Bay, and I have a full schedule managing infrastructrue builds across the Bay Area 12 hours a day, so if something creeps in that causes a little controversy and we can't get to it please have a little patience, thank you.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here are the latest details explaining the proof of Covid vaccination or negative test requirements for students and fans in order to enter the stadium. They will have 4 Covid requirement checkpoints around the stadium that open 3 hours before kickoff. Fans can get cleared at these checkpoints in order to avoid lines at the gate.

More here with a map showing the location of the checkpoints:

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/9/27/football-details-on-new-home-football-policies.aspx
  • movielover
    NBA player Jonathan Isaac gives two eloquent, thoughtful answers regarding the vaccine and Covid. (He was apparently mischaracterized by Rolling Stone magazine.) Two shorts video clips.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/09/28/nba_player_jonathan_isaac_i_didnt_come_to_my_current_vaccination_status_by_studying_black_history_or_watching_donald_trump.html
  • agalum

Having the pre-screening check points is a really good idea to stream line stadium entry.
  • MTBAggie
    This is what they did at the Stanford game over the weekend. It went very quickly. The only fuzzy area was that they required a photo ID. But it was unclear what was required for kids under 16 (or without a passport or DL). Is a student ID acceptable? They were all good about it though and just verified the last name on the kid's card matched the parent's last name.
  • 69aggie
    Will we have metal detectors at the gates? Idaho is a no permit concealed carry state, i.e. anyone can carry a concealed weapon with very few exceptions. But I will assume that most concealed gun people are anti Vaxer’s anyway, so we should still keep them at bay with our vax requirement..
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Idahoans never wear masks. That said, Moscow is better than most and it's a slightly more conservative version of Davis. Lots of mask wearing in Moscow compared to podunk nowhere in WA (very near to ID though) that I am in.

Its too bad the Ags are home. This would have been the perfect weekend to see them up here. Both UI and WSU are playing the norcal UCs in CA this weekend and my spouse is on a trip.
  • Riveraggie
    [ Hadn’t noticed this thread was in other topic thread.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Yeah, WSU is playing at Cal and UI is playing on campus at Davis.
  • movielover
    Wizards star Bradley Beal more eloquent than many of our talking heads.

https://twitter.com/pnjaban/status/1443059962305908736?s=20
  • cmt
    Sounds like a guy who doesn't really know what he's talking about. Same with Isaac.
  • CA Forever
    His entire basis for his argument is based off of misinformation. The vaccine doesn't JUST reduce the chances of going to the hospital for a severe case. It does reduce the chance of contracting the virus in the first place. No vaccine is 100%, but this information is incredibly easy to look up and anyone refusing the vaccine at this point is an incredibly selfish human being with little to no moral compass in regard to the health and safety of those around themselves. Really that simple.
  • movielover
    Basic science would mean we'd also honor natural immunity. Israel calculated that natural immunity is up to 27 times stronger than the current vaccine, and it is estimated that over 100 Million Americans have it.

Our officials changed definitions and changed vaccines from making us "immune" to "protected". And thus we have booster shot 2, 3, maybe 4.

Now Gov Newsom (Teacher's Union) mandating our safest group - children - get vaccinated. With no long term studies or control group.
  • CA Forever
    I'm siding with the virologists, epidemiologists, and doctors who have spent their careers studying disease, viruses, and vaccines who say the best thing you can do is get the vaccine as opposed to... a basketball player...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!