• BlueGoldAg
    The attendance figure in the box score says 11,622. That can't be right, can it?
  • Zander
    I read through the lines and thought that the 10K capacity limit was only ever a mechanism to fall under less restrictive county rules for vaccine requirements. Since UCD is now claiming compliance with Yolo's policies for 10K+ events as I understand it, then they may have decided to quietly raise the capacity and open up more seats.

That being said, it didn't look like 11.6K. I would have guessed a healthy 9K crowd or so
  • agalum
    Not sure what the announced attendance was for the last game, but there is no question about it, tonights crowd was significantly less. With that said, still a healthy turnout compared to what we were seeing a few years ago.

Hard not to like TT. But I’d like to see Hastings get the start next Saturday. Neither one has the efficiency of a healthy HR. Several of Hastings passes were behind the receiver making the reception difficult. I think he improves with another start. ISU - not so good. Should be a weaker team than the Vandals. Another good reason to rest up HR.

Wow, nail biter tonight. I’m still wound up.
  • tokyoag
    ckdzyqvuc2jjn39h.jpeg

Just keep winning ;)
  • CA Forever
    Oh my. I took a peek at the Idaho forum and according to them the team is pretty close to mutiny on Petrino. Players commenting on how he never takes responsibility and players' parents voicing that they are done with his bs. FCS schools don't typically fire head coaches mid season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets bought out at the end of the season.
  • DrMike
    i was listening to radio on drive to hotel and Doug Kelly was incredulous on their FG attempt with 4 to go. They were rolling offensively and STILL would need a TD to win. Lucky there.

I don’t like our defensive approach. We play free safety 25 yards deep, with man to man almost every play. FS never is involved in the play since nobody throws deep middle (can’t help on deep sideline). We give up so many short passes underneath and on the edges. They had 3-4 short crosses that turned into 20-25 yard plays. I don’t see any other team with that approach.

Crowd was a bit smaller than week one but pretty full. Once the students settled that side was nearly full, and west side was full. Berms were solid. Might be biggest crowd I’ve seen at the END of a game especially the students. They were loud.

We gotta get a new PA guy. Monotone, and barely audible. Show some excitement for a first down or a stop!!
  • movielover
    Wild guess. Is this some pre-EWU move to establish a permanent stopgap against big plays?

Does any other team do this?
  • CA Forever
    Scott Marsh and Bob Dunning couldn't believe it either. I think the only human being on planet earth who thought it was the right call was Petrino.
  • agalum
    I also peaked at their boards. Their must be some other laundry, but with the field go decision aside, Petrino had his guys ready to go with a solid game plan which nearly knocked us off. Idaho has a ton of talent. I wish them well now that we are past them, (wink).
  • CA Forever
    I am really curious how the game would have looked if Hunter was 100%. The offense was really struggling for a good part of the game and QB mobility seemed to really gouge them when TT came into the game. Hunter is obviously more mobile than Hastings.
  • agalum

Yeah, agreed. With ISU, i think we rest HR another week. And he certainly had some other undisclosed problem going into the third game. Hopefully all that heals. We are going to need HR on his A game when EWU comes to town.
  • Riveraggie
    Idaho has an impressive group of receivers, lots of size, a good running back, a QB who can throw and their own version of Magic. We still held them to three scores. I think that’s impressive.

Hopefully TT will get a chance to throw again. They e been inexplicably reluctant to let him throw.

I wonder why Larison didn’t get a bigger role.

Best game for our pair of senior wide receivers in a long while. Its usually been one or the other but they both had big games.
  • DrMike
    We made enough little mistakes to stop any momentum. Unsportsmanlike after TD, drive starts at 40 instead of 25. Offensive PI to go to 1st and 25 after a promising drive start. Procedure after on a 2nd and 2 on a promising drive leading to punt. Dropped pass on wide open crossing pattern. Seemed like that was story of 3rd quarter (unsportsmanlike was early)

They had a good game plan and a couple weeks to focus on us. There were times they stacked 10 guys in the box when we had TT and Larison. They swarmed on UG on the little swings. Running QB, passing QB, etc.

On that replay on the sideline pass, was that a catch? I’m stadium it sure looked like he landed on elbows out of bounds. Could have been a big play. We’ll, unless you go for a FG down 7 with 4:00 to go
  • DrMike
    Really positive note from last night - ran into Bib Biggs last night looking healthy and as cheery as usual!
  • CA Forever
    It sure looked like the elbow landed out of bounds to me and I'm not even sure if his hand was fully under the ball to be perfectly honest. I think the replay guys and refs flubbed that one.
  • AggieFinn

That's great news! Bob's the best.
  • DrMike
    Hastings wasn’t overly sharp, but we dropped a couple passes that would have been nice gains. I liked the pass game plan better than the recent games with Hunter. More quick hitters to WRs that gave them a chance to run. The INT could have been a big play but it floated a bit - hard pass rolling left. That could have led to a late half score; follow that up with a nice opening second half drive and…..

But not to be. I thought Hastings looked poised. A little more mobile than i expected
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I wonder why Larison didn’t get a bigger role.Riveraggie

I saw Larison come out early with with an injury. That may have limited his availability (or at least his effectiveness) the rest of the way.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree, Mike, something doesn't seem right with the defensive scheme. Idaho sliced through us much too easily with both the run and the pass. We finally got some pressure on their QB in the second half but, for the most part, their OL stifled us and we had trouble punching any holes in their DL also. All in all, I thought they won the battle in the trenches.

The team energy on the field and in the stadium was going south before TT came in. He plays with so much fire and it's infectious for everyone. We really needed that jolt of adrenaline and it turned the tide of the game for us. We can't overlook how much of a game changer Castles' one-handed grab for the TD was either. That was a very difficult catch with the defender interfering and hanging onto him at the same time when he dove for the ball. He's a special talent.

I like the resilience of this team. They got pushed around a lot by the Vandals but still made some big plays to eke out the win. Overall, Idaho looked like the better team on the field last night. We bent a lot but kept doing enough to put ourselves in a position to win and it paid off in the end. The Vandals have size and talent and they could make some noise in the Big Sky this year if their morale doesn't tank.

We saw Biggs in the Team Aggie tent and he looked good. He's been through a lot and it's wonderful to see him back. He's an Aggie legend.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Some post-game quotes:

“It’s a great team win for us,” said Tompkins. “It’s just fun for me to get out there with the guys. It’s hard to put into words the feeling we all had on the sidelines. There was never a doubt. I just like playing ball whenever and wherever. Being out there with the boys, there’s nothing like it.”

“He’s a baller,” said Aggie head coach Dan Hawkins of Tompkins. “The spirit, the culture and the heart we have on this team is great. We didn’t necessarily play well enough to win at times, but we were able to make plays when we need to. Blocking that field goal was huge.”

“I give Paul Petrino a lot of credit and tip my hat to the Vandals,” Hawkins added. “That’s a good football team.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/uc-davis-idaho-football-game-story/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=4e537e5959-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-4e537e5959-171004309
  • Toke69
    Anyone think that UC Davis will move up in the FCS polls? Montana lost, but to EWU.
  • eastbayaggie

I don't know about the FCS polls, but we are dropping slightly overall in the College Football Ranking Composite after 13 rankings so far:
    https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

Our median has dropped to 11.
  • CA Forever
    I doubt we move up at all. In most polls EWU was already ahead of us so I don't think that Montana will drop down below us with their loss. I think all the other teams ranked ahead of us won.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped a few spots even though we won. I don't think the poll voters have much respect for Idaho and, given that we struggled against them, they won't be impressed with our performance. I think that's fair but I also think that Idaho is better than a lot of people think they are.
  • Riveraggie
    Any normal media environment would have had a story about our new defensive coordinator and his philosophy before this season or last spring. . We’re now 11 games into his tenure. While it’s hard to quibble with the results, because we’re winning, we give up yards too willingly. It would be nice to hear what his philosophy is. Not much to go on from his past, because he’s a newbie.
    I still wonder if Eaton should be back where he played before, which I think was strong side linebacker. The rush position seems to be where good linebackers go to disappear. He had one assisted tackle against Idaho.
  • Zander
    In our actual meaningful (Weeks 1, 4, 5) games we've been giving up 17 a game which is pretty serviceable since that includes a ton of turnovers that either iced games or put the offense in great position. In comparison to previous years this seems very serviceable when complementing an offense who should be able to score three TDs.

Because of the seeming bend-don't break mentality and the offense being basically designed to lose the ToP battle I think there's some psychological effects at play where the defense looks somewhat worse than it actually is. Other teams are racking up yards but not able to capitalize (and partly they're just starting in bad field position and have a lot of territory available to cover because our punting is phenomenal).
  • DavisAggie
    Scoreboard operator: Amateur Hour, never seen a worse performance, at any level.
    PA: improved? but still making noticeable mistakes
  • Riveraggie
    I know, but does our points against success mask opportunities to be better? The Idaho pass receivers said they like playing us because we’re almost all man. Maybe we need to mix coverages up more? But anyway, it would be interesting to hear what the philosophy is. Robert Tucker always talked about being disruptive. It seems that that’s deemphasized. The stats don’t show that because of the five interceptions against Dixie.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!