• AggieFinn
    The Battle for the Golden Horseshoe

Who's making the trip, and does SLO have any special fan admission requirements?
  • agalum

Doesn’t sound like much compared to ours.
    Alex G. Spanos Stadium
    Attendees at Cal Poly Football games, and Men’s and Women’s Soccer matches at Alex G. Spanos Stadium will be expected to adhere to the following guidelines.

· Face Coverings – Face coverings are strongly recommended for all fans but not required for vaccinated individuals. Masks will be provided for fans upon request.

https://gopoly.com/sports/2021/9/21/covid-protocols.aspx

Are you going Finn?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm surprised they aren't requiring proof of vaccination. We've had 10,000 plus at all of our home games so far even though we require proof of vaccination. It's a much safer policy for everyone than a mask only requirement.
  • agalum
    yes. My wife and I are super careful about exposure, but we both feel very comfortable at the team aggie gatherings and the game bc of the safety protocols and essentially being around other vaccinated people.
  • DrMike
    We are planning on going ( hotel is booked) but may have to cancel due to some family conflicts. We’ll have to hit the road EARLY to get back for granddaughter birthday on Sunday. Still waiting bin word on something on Friday - that would scuttle it
  • zythe
    I went to SLO for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It’s really nice!
  • DrMike
    expensive; glad I booked back in March. Rates have really shot up. We really like Avila Beach. Neat community. Promenade area was rebuilt after a diesel spill something like 30 years ago, so it’s very pristine while maintains an old seaside feel
  • movielover
    NCAA Statistics - Aggies

Passes Intercepted - #1
    First Down Offense - #3 (tied)

3rd Down Conversion - #24 (up 12)
    3rd Down Conversion - Defense - #31 (up 7)

Red Zone Defense - #9 (tied)
    Red Zone Offense - #35 (down 6)

Total Defense - #80 (up 12)
    Total Offense - #26 (down 4)

NCAA Individual Stats - random

Passing Yds - Hunter Rodriguez - #42
    All Purpose Yds - Ulonzo Gilliam - #47 (up 12)

Passes Defended - Jaylin White - #8 (tied, down 5)
    Punting Yds - Daniel Whelan - #9 (up 8)

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/21
  • Riveraggie

Total Defense # 80
    Total Offense # 26
    don’t really square with being a top 20 team, but scoring defense #14 does
  • zythe
    The only thing I don’t like about the campus is that it’s not an easy walk to downtown. You really do need some sort of transportation to get there. That’s always a negative in my book. The same issues affects the other UC’s with the exception of Berkeley, LA, and Davis.
  • Riveraggie
    Downtown adjacent to campus a huge plus for students. Being able to not have a car, no DUI risk.
  • Bengalzrule
    Cal Poly is going to win !
  • agalum

Welcome to the boards.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm wondering how many OL we may be missing due to injuries? I saw several hobbling around on the sidelines during the NC game.
  • Riveraggie
    I believe I saw Ford Parks back in the game later. The two tackles I don’t know.
    One shortcoming of our broadcast team is they don’t remark on linemen much.
    It was interesting to hear the pause while Marsh named Nico Sarale, as he checked the pronunciation guide. He is a sophomore who’s been on the team for four years.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Nick Amoha (left tackle) should be fine. I'm not sure if he went back in after half, but I've heard he was doing well after the game. Haven't heard about the right tackle but I'll see if I can find anything out.
  • Toke69
    Back in the day, those who built pubic universities generally tried to place far from major urban areas under the belief that close proximity to such areas would distract them from their studies. Hence, Oregon State is in Corvallis, far from Portland, ditto U or O in Eugene; WSU in Pullman, U of Colorado in Boulder. Cal Poly, then falls under that scheme. I don't think UCLA was close to any urban areas when it was built and even Berkeley had The Bay separating it from The CIty. California and I think many other states also passed blue laws forbidding any place that sold alcohol be no closer than something like 10 miles from a campus. I don't know if that's still in effect, but I remember having to drive to the perimeter of that zone to get anything stronger than cough syrup.
  • Riveraggie

Right they were.
    I think the law was for a distance of one mile,but because of the size of the campus we had to go to the Mace blvd overpass area to buy liquor, one could get beer and wine in town.
  • AggieFinn
    Poly's 2021 so far

@ San Diego - W 28-17
    @ Fresno State - L 10-63
    vs. South Dakota - L 14-48
    @ Montana - L 7-39
    vs. Weber State - L 7-38
    @ Montana State - L 7-45

They are coming off a BYE before Horseshoe and frankly, a murderous schedule, of which still includes games vs. Davis, @ Portland State, @ Sac, vs. Idaho State and vs. Northern Arizona.

The offense clearly isn't doing much of anything. Now that Baldwin has student-athletes and not just athletes as well as the fact that they're about 9 months into a complete overhaul of the offense, it's clear that the transition is hurting the program in year one.

This Mustang squad has nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Get ready for the kitchen sink, because it's all getting called on Saturday.
  • Riveraggie
    They’ve played the second toughest schedule in the Big Sky to this point, a pretty good team might have their record.
    It seems they currently have a bad case of QB injuries. From their site:

“Brasch, winning a six-man battle for the starting nod at quarterback during Fall Camp, is a transfer from Cal, where he played two games in 2019 against Utah and Oregon State, after completing 359 of 602 passes for 5,522 yards with 78 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions over his final two prep seasons at Higley High School in Gilbert, Ariz. Brasch is currently sidelined with a fracture in his throwing hand and Conor Bruce, who made his first collegiate start four weeks ago at Montana and completed 16 of 30 passes for 183 yards, also is out with an injury. Freshman Kahliq Paulette from Converse, Texas, has missed the last two games as well. Redshirt freshman Jackson Pavitt and true freshman Jaden Jones are the top two signal callers on the depth chart this week.”

Those two QBs have not been impressive so far.
    Pavitt has started the last couple of games and is 15-35-1 with a rating of 62.34
    Jones is 4-13-3 for an efficiency rating of 0.12 in his one game. Jones is the only guy on their team who gets more than 4 yards a carry,
  • CA Forever
    I think logic goes out the door in a rivalry game, but I think the Aggies take this game with what should be relative ease. The Mustangs haven't posted double digit points in 3 straight games (all 3 were against good opponents though) and they have allowed 30+ points in 5 straight. Not that the Aggies don't have things to figure out going forward, but the Mustangs are currently in a sinking ship. I hope Baldwin can right the ship because while I enjoy winning consistently, I want California FCS football to remain healthy.
  • SloStang
    Not a sinking ship. One that was heavily damaged over the last five or so years. I expect another one sided loss this weekend, but I am confident that over the next 3 or 4 years this staff will right the ship.
  • CA Forever
    Like I said, I hope he can turn it around. How much of a leash do you think Baldwin gets to show signs of improvement? Obviously we don't have the same resources as Power 5 teams to fire and buy out coaches on a whim, but at the same time coaches have to start showing something to keep em around.
  • agalum

Slo, how are your fans/boosters doing through this rebuilding process? Supportive? Bailing ship? I stopped by your forum, it looked quiet.
    BTW, please beat Sac :).
  • blueforce
    Cal Poly has so much going for it, there will always be an opportunity to turn things around. Awesome college town/environment, great academics, engaged alumni, local support for the program, athlete-friendly admissions, and geographic location that's ideal for SoCal talent.... that's such a great foundation to build on.
  • SloStang
    I think most knowledgeable fans knew this was going to be a tough season. Attendance is dipping, but I believe will come back when we start winning again. I also believe that the administration will give Baldwin the time to build back the program and they are supporting him in ways they did not support the last staff (assistant salary pool, recruiting budget etc…). I really feel the recruiting is at a much higher level under Baldwin and it will start to show in the next year or two.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    We have a lot of respect for Poly on these boards. Of course we want to beat you guys more than any team but Sac in most years. But you guys aren't the dumb jocks from CSUS that we really hate. But CP is a game that we do get pumped up for. I kind of miss having CP be the second to last game before Sac though.
  • SloStang
    Davis is the team I most respect, but also the team I most want to beat in football. I would love to see the Big Sky Championship each year came down to the winner of the Battle for the Golden Horseshoe.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Quotes from CP HC Beau Baldwin:

“It takes time, but the thing I love about this job is the tremendous potential for growth,” Baldwin said. “The support and the vision from the president and the administration are what make me optimistic about what we can do at Cal Poly. There are so many positive things here that allow you to have a chance for success.”

Just seven months ago in the abbreviated spring season, Baldwin got a taste of Aggie football when he brought his team north to UC Davis Health Stadium and suffered a 73-24 setback.

The Poly coach has not forgotten the sting of that defeat.

“I definitely feel some stuff from last spring,” he said. “We’re ready to get after it.”

Regarding CP QB Spencer Brasch:

Brasch has battled back from injury and is expected to start Saturday night. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound redshirt sophomore from Gilbert, Ariz. has thrown for 523 yards and three touchdowns in limited action, but is highly regarded by both Baldwin and Aggie defensive coordinator Matt Coombs.

“He makes them a better team,” said Coombs of Brasch. “When he’s been in the game they move the ball well. He gets the ball out quick and is getting comfortable in their offense. Across the board they’re much improved from what we saw in the spring.”

Baldwin agrees.

“Spencer can create and extend plays with his feet,” said the Poly coach. “He can put a lot of stress on a defense. He’s a natural leader. I’m really impressed with his arm strength and how quickly the ball comes out of his hand.”

More here: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies-mustangs-to-battle-for-golden-horseshoe/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=71117f9da5-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-71117f9da5-171004309
  • Zander
    Looks like slight chance of precipitation in SLO but not much. When I saw the dreary weather in the SLO pictures on the football team's Instagram I got instinctively scared, but honestly UCD is so run-heavy that rain might benefit the Ags more than Cal Poly. Still getting used to thinking of them as anything other than a pure option team
  • 69aggie
    Aggies, you better be up for this game. Mustangs are upset at the last game results. Bad things happen with this atmosphere. Just saying, don’t relax for this game. Poly will be very tough tomorrow.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!