• Toke69
    Can't say I'm sorry I missed it, but I liked SloStang's point about at least being there. I hope we have something to build on for next year.
  • NCagalum
    SDSU O-line was dominating. There were a number of injuries and dings during the game in the Aggie defense, more than I have seen all hear. SDSU was very physical and that really sets the game feel. The Ags have size up the middle, but their O-line just worked very well as a unit and with their 2 excellent backs, Ags were outmatched. They would have won if we had 0 turnovers. So, in my opinion, if you want to be a playoff team and have a shot at going deep into playoffs, you have to be physical, be able to control the line of scrimmage, and also keep defensive team speed. If your have a Barriere-level QB, that will cover up some weaknesses. I’m watching the EWU- UNI game, EWU defense looked pretty stout and Barriere had a lot of time in the pocket so their LOS play was good.
  • NCagalum
    Yah, we could be Stanford or Cal fans, or USC fans (they will improve with Riley) or Poly fans this year. In recent years we would take 8-4 any day but after the spring and Hawk quotes of best-team ever and wins over Tulsa and Weber, it was disappointing to see the decline and to lose the last 3 games (and not be in any of them).
  • Riveraggie
    We basically play three down linemen. a nose guard a defensive tackle and a defensive end. There usually two of the big guys Chuba and Bryce for example and one lighter guy and then a “rush” linebacker. They steamrollered us on the edge more than up the middle.
    They play a four down lineman defense and 4/3 linemen are often lighter the the three down linemen teams.
  • 69aggie
    Sorry, but the scholarships disparity is simply not fair. Don’t get me wrong, no excuse at all for the loss. I thought the whole FBS/FBS decision by the NCAA was to try and lower costs but at the same time give parity to each subdivision within itself. Maybe COVID just screwed it all up.
  • Riveraggie
    I assume they’ll have to take scholarships away to get down to limit later.
  • movielover
    If we agree that our team was generally stacked and talented, then maybe our staff badly misjudged our QB capabilities. Vaughn and Harrell also never seemed to get untracked.

Our special teams play seemed above average or better. Our defense likely would have been better if they were on the field less.

Sac State seems ahead of us, and their QB was in our program.
  • Riveraggie
    The best team in Davis history doesn’t give other teams the shakes at this level.
  • movielover
    I don't see this team as better than 2018 (Maier / Doss), or 1982.
  • Riveraggie
    it’s better than 1982. I’m sure 82 was a better team for its level but not better head to head.
    2018 team is arguably better but Hawkins has a better view if talent, so maybe this team more talented but that team achieved more because they won their first playoff game. But SDS is better than NIU was in 2018
  • CA Forever
    I believe the 2018 team was 1-2 plays away from going to the national championship game with how Eastern demolished Maine in the semi finals. Way too many question marks on this seasons roster for me to give them the nod.
  • Riveraggie
    That’s one way of looking at it.
    Another is that we lost that game by getting gashed by huge plays in a way that is all too familiar. Not arguing that they weren’t a better team than 2021 but they shared some of the same major deficiencies.. Very few playoff teams would given up a touchdown 47 seconds after taking the lead with about a minute to play. Eastern dominated us in a game earlier that year so I’m not sure Eastern > Maine implies UCD > Maine.
  • movielover

Maybe the lesson is that studs at WR & QB > marginally better overall depth.
  • CA Forever
    Oh I agree. We continue to have deficiencies that realistically will hold us back from making a legitimate run at a national championship. I don't know if this stems from a limited scope of recruiting, recruitment requirements of Davis, we're simply not finding consistent talent, or maybe the coaching staff just isn't developing the players or have an effective game plan.
  • CA Forever
    I don't know if that's the main lesson, but having them wouldn't hurt. Ideally we could have improved depth WITH a stud at QB and a baller or 2 at WR.
  • Riveraggie
    I think it comes down to talent and player development. And I think maybe bring in a run oriented offensive line coach.
    Historically there seems to be a UC Davis style of line play that involves lateral movement, like for screen plays, and not as much power blocking. I noticed the Boise offensive line got a lot of criticism earlier this year, that they apparently were able to resolve by changing focus of practice. We had two offensive line coaches near end of Biggs era, because Keane, now the Boise coach, being a former UCDavis lineman didn’t coach run blocking well, and needed some mentorship. Now we have a former UC Davis tight end from that era as our offensive line coach.
  • cmt
    The 2018 team was unequivocally better than the 2021 team
    10-3 vs. 8-4
    12.3 point differential vs 5.6
    6.2 yards per play on offense vs 5.4
    5.5 yards per play allowed on defense vs 5.8
    61.86 Sagarin rating (8th in FCS) vs 54.08 (25th)
    6.21 Massey rating (4th in FCS) vs. 5.54 (18th)

I could make an argument that the 2019 team was better than this team, they just played a way tougher schedule (lost to an 8-5 Cal and 6 FCS playoff teams, didn't lose to a 1-win FCS team, only 1 loss by 20+ points vs. 2 for the 2021 team). Like what do you think our record is this year if we play UCLA (8-4), NDSt, Sac, Montana St, Montana, EW and either Northern Iowa (6-6) or South Dakota (7-5)? At best that's probably a 5-6 team.

At the very least, 2021 team is much closer to 2019 than they are to 2018.
  • eastbayaggie
    For what it's worth, Massey ranks the 2018 team better than the 2021 team, and the 2021 team barely edged the 2020 team pending if any of the future college games will affect the 2021 team's rating:
    https://masseyratings.com/top?lg=cf&t=8200

2018: 6.21
    2021: 5.54
    2020: 5.53
  • Riveraggie
    I think what started this sub thread was a reference harkening back to Hawkins saying this team had the best talent.
    The 2018 team achieved more, I haven’t seen an opinion voiced that disagrees with that.
    I think this team accomplished a lot by beating Weber and Tulsa, REMEBER Weber was a three time champion and their coach said this years recruiting class was best ever.
    The spring team lost to Weber and beat no one of note.
    The 2019 team beat no one of note.
  • agalum
    Brace yourself for the 2022 season. We could easily go 0-4, Cal, SDSU, weber, Montana State.
  • cmt
    Hawkins also said Barriere is arguably the best player he's ever coached against, which includes five Heisman winners, so maybe we don't take Hawkins literally on this stuff, especially when it comes to preseason quotes. Maybe he actually felt that way or maybe it was just preseason coach-speak where everything is positive. I bet it's the latter.

I'm not saying the 2021 team was bad. Second best record we've posted at the FCS level. Even if you're pessimistic on this team and rank 2019 above them, it's still a top-3 UCD team since we moved to FCS. We're in a pretty good spot right now as a program, though of course we want to keep building on it. I'm just saying that the 2018 was clearly better/more talented/however you want to frame it.
  • Riveraggie
    The 2005 team should be in there. Beat Stanford, and two ranked teams, #10 CalPoly and #17 North Dakota State. Lost to #7 New Hampshire in the final minute a team which went on to spend most the season ranked number 1.
    They were only 6-5 but losses included two games by two point plus the four point New Hampshire defeat. Lost to Stephen Austin and #19 Eastern Washington.back to back on the road; tough schedule.
  • DrMike
    that team was overlooked. That was a really tough schedule - Great West was 6 good teams. Could have easily been 2-0 heading into Stanford.
  • Riveraggie
    that year even with the narrow loss to a top FCS team we were 2-2 against ranked FCS teams and had a win over a Pac12 team. That was by a transitioning team, not eligible for the playoffs
    In comparing teams I value most who did you beat rather than what the score was or who did you lose to. That year we defeated two ranked FCS opponents and the FBS team. No other team has done that that I can think of.
  • DavisAggie
    Was there a reason Whelan wasn't punting? Or is that a stat error
  • Riveraggie
    Where did you see that? The box score on the team site lists him as punting. The box score has other errors though.
  • DrMike
    stat error; they listed the backup as our punter.
  • BlueGoldAg
    A CLASSY MOVE … Although the Aggie Band did not make the trip to South Dakota State, when UC Davis players ran onto the field just before the start of the game they were greeted with the strains of Aggie Fight playing loudly over the Dykhouse Stadium public address system.

As I listened to the familiar sounds I had known since childhood, I imagined I was wrong about the Band not making the trip. Still, as I looked around the field and out onto the vast prairie beyond, there was no Aggie band in sight. And from my vantage point at the top of the stadium, I could see all the way to Minnesota.

I was struck by what a kind gesture it was of SDSU officials to think of greeting the Aggies in this way.

But that was not all. The same tune was played loudly again after the Aggies scored their first touchdown. I have honestly never seen such wonderful consideration of a worthy opponent in my many decades of covering college football.

Someone back there in South Dakota has a heart of gold.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/news/local/dunning/bob-dunning-aggies-pointed-in-the-right-direction/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=19ac79851d-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-19ac79851d-171004309
  • 72Aggie
    Years ago I went to a USC game at Notre Dame. At some point the Notre Dame band lined up in front of the USC rooting section and played the USC fight song. Very impressive. It almost makes me want to say something nice about Notre Dame.

Seeing a game at the Notre Dame stadium, especially a rivalry game, in October when the Midwest is in full autumn display is a bucket list experience.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!