• 69aggie
    Somethings up here and I don’t know what it is? Are we waiting for the portal guys? Very interesting to see.
  • agalum
    Bobcats up 10-7 second quarter. MSU freshman Qb looking good.
  • agalum
    17-17 at half. Bobcats surprising me.
  • Russ Bowlus
    This Tommy Mellot guy might be ok at football.
  • agalum

He’s got to get the game ball but bobcat D is playing lights out against the jacks great running game.
  • agalum
    31-17, bobcats heading to Frisco
  • CA Forever
    Geez... I hope we don't have the new Barriere in conference (and he doesn't play for us :grimace: )
  • movielover
    "Mellott finished the game with 155 yards rushing and two scores and a career-best 233 yards passing and two other touchdowns. On the day, the freshman from Butte completed 10 of 15 passes."
  • agalum

I was really impressed with his poise as a freshman starting his first game in the playoffs. That kid van run and throw. He will be a force to be reckoned with.
  • cmt
    Random little fun fact:

Starting in 2010, Montana State has been in the playoffs 7 times, including this year. Of their six losses, three were to NDST (10, 18, 19), two were to Sam Houston St (11, 12) and one was to SDST (14). They've knocked off two of those teams already and get to face the third in the final.

I'd also recommend repeating what they did defensively this year against Sam Houston and SDST (19 points and 17 points) rather than what they did in the six previous playoff losses (34+ points allowed in all six games, 40+ in five of the six games) if they want to win in three weeks.

Also, good to see another Big Sky team make the final. Only the second time since EW won it in 2010 (EW in 2018).
  • agalum

I’m wondering how the freshman QB for MSU is going to hold up against NDSU’s big powerful dudes on the D line. He runs a lot and is not a slider.
  • DrMike
    he's a big kid, but does seem to take hits straight on. he's not the most elusive runner out there.

on the subject of 'post-season', anyone notice Tulsa is in a bowl? not sure how many FCS teams can lay claim to beating a bowl-bound FBS team (albeit with some key players missing).
  • Riveraggie
    Not only in a bowl but favored in the Sagarin predictions.

PS - Sagarin has Tulsa higher ranked than Montana State but below North Dakota State, James Madison and South Dakota State. That was a good win for us.
  • cmt
    None this year according to wikipedia. They've got a list of all FCS over FBS wins.

Last time it happened was in 2019, Central Arkansas beat Western Kentucky, which went 9-4 and played in a bowl. Also happened once in 2018 and 2017. In 2016 though, 5 FCS team beat FBS teams that went to bowls. That appears to be an outlier though.

So it happens, but it's still fairly rare. Most of the FCS over FBS upsets involve FBS teams that end the year with 3 or fewer wins.
  • SloStang
    MSU won that game without their stud running back Isaiah Ifanse who had 1,539 rushing yards this season. He sat out with a swollen knee. Because of this they leaned heavily on their young QB to make up for the loss of his production in the running game. With 3 weeks to prepare for the NC game I think there is a good chance Ifanse will be back. I bet the Bison are hoping he isn’t.
  • movielover
    I think the NDSU mindset and culture is so strong, they don't care.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think this will be a great ball game but, right now, I like MSU's chances.
  • agalum

I agree as long as their (backup) Qb doesnt get hurt. The cats are playing with a lot of confidence.
  • cmt
    First spread I've seen is NDST -9.5.
  • SloStang
    The line is not what Vegas think a team is favored by, but where they think they can half of the bets for each team. NDSU has a rabid fan base and that effects the line. If I was a betting man I would take MSU and the 9.5 points.
  • DrMike
    if their RB is back, I think MSU would be a good bet to at least cover.
  • cmt
    That was my instinct as well on the spread. If it gets over the 10, I might jump on it.
  • AggieFinn
    I'll check the line in Vegas this Monday when I'm there...probably won't lay down money until the night before though.
  • AggieFinn
    2021 FCS Championship
    1/8/22
    9 am PT
    Live from Frisco, TX on ESPN2

Montana State @ North Dakota State
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'd like to see MSU to bring the championship back to the Big Sky Conference. Go Bobcats!
  • 88Aggie
    That should be good for recruiting
  • movielover
    FWIW, a former Aggie assistant here:

FootballScoop: David Braun -- 2021 FootballScoop FCS Coordinator of the Year

North Dakota State's return to the FCS National Championship was once again powered by its best-in-class defense.
  • agalum
    And the bobcats ace freshman QB turned an ankle on first series.
  • agalum
    Bison making it look easy with their power running game. 14-0 Bison start of the second quarter.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!