• DrMike
    After an eternal break. Ags return to face UCSD in an empty ARC. I don’t think the long lay-off will do us well vs. good Triton team but I hope I’m wrong. 5;00 tip
  • movielover
    UCSD has become a solid DI team very quickly.
  • agalum
    I’m going to need a split screen. Ladies at 4, men at 5.
  • DrMike
    I don’t think you’ll need to watch the men for long. 16-6 with 14:00 to go. UCSD seems to score at will inside and beyond the 3; we’re 0-4 from behind the arc
  • DrMike
    We have 7 guys suited up. Oddly, it’s basically our normal starters and top 2 reserves
  • DrMike
    Foul trouble. He’s pretty cold
  • DrMike
    Fought back get within 39-37 at half. Shooting woes continue
  • agalum
    Back to this one. The ladies never took the lead. Need the men to take careof business
  • agalum
    No spectators, unless you’re the chancellor.
  • movielover
    Big night for Pepper.
  • DrMike
    I missed the second half. Looks like a nice comeback and a much better defensive effort than the first 5 minutes
  • Toke69
    Ags practically won this one at the foul line: 85% v. 55%. Great game by Fuller who always does well against the Tritons it seems.
  • DrMike
    Gutty win with 7 guys!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was finally able to watch the second half after having guests over for dinner and quite a bit of excellent scotch. Great win for the Aggies after a long layoff. Too bad no fans were able to attend.
  • DrMike
    6 minutes into the game it was 16-4 but felt like 36-4. Good timeout got the defense organized and eliminated some of the easy 3’s. We started chipping away with inside points and a couple Pepper 3’s, and all the sudden we’re back in the game.

We had TWO turnovers! That’s incredible
  • BlueGoldAg
    We had TWO turnovers! That’s incredibleDrMike

WOW! That must be a record for the least amount of TO's in a game...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    You know, if you had to play with only 7 players, this would probably be the 7 I’d pick. All the starters, your best perimeter sub and your best interior sub. Not ideal, but not as bad as it could have been
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Enterprise:

UCD started the game with the league-minimum seven players, losing two to injury and three to COVID protocols, but managed to pull out a gut-check victory thanks to some strong defense and a second-half explosion by Elijah Pepper.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Post-game comments from Les and Pepper:

“I’m really proud of our guys for everything they’ve had to overcome in the last few weeks,” said Aggie head coach Jim Les.

“We’ve been asking them to live like hermits and not socialize and not go to restaurants and they’ve taken it all in stride. Plus, it’s been hard to practice with so few players.”

“I’m a little bit tired,” admitted Pepper, who played all but a minute and five seconds of the game.

“It means a lot to finally get to play a game again and we’re just taking every time we play as if it’s our last game. It was a great team effort and we played hard and with a lot of heart.”

“There’s no substitute for getting back to playing a real game,” said the Aggie coach.

“There were times where we weren’t playing Aggie basketball, but our guys really stepped up late, especially on defense. As coaches we’ve run out of creative ideas for making practice interesting and fun. We told our guys we have no excuses. We needed to come out and get a win and that’s what we did.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-uc-davis-rallies-to-beat-uc-san-diego/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=a73d8d1fee-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-a73d8d1fee-171004309
  • DrMike
    that's what i was telling my wife when i noticed the lack of bench at the first substitution. Credit the Ags for staying out of foul trouble (Manjon had 2 early). Tritons were posting up quite a bit in the first half, and the bigs managed to defend without fouls.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    yeah I was worried about Manjon with his early fouls as perimeter defense was going to be very important against a heavy 3 point shooting team like ucsd. He did a good job of being aggressive without getting into further trouble.
  • Toke69
    Nice to see the guys are in good condition, although the media often exaggerates how tired athletes get from playing a lot of minutes. A 7-man rotation, plus half-time, should give varsity athletes enough rest to go full speed unless they're pressing most of the game.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!