• Toke69
    Yes, I can rewind, I meant that I would like to see a different camera angle of the play.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Total yards: Ags 475 SD 372
    Hastings: 16-21 for 270 and 3 TD's
    Gilliam: 12 rushes for 106 and 1 TD
    King: 10 tackles 7 solo with 2 TFL
  • lucche
    As I understand it, if you give an athlete am academic scholarship it counts as an athletic scholarship.
    Why? Because then teams could give out both academic and athletic schoolies and thus have more players on schollies than the amount allowed. Thus, all schoolies to athletes are also athletic schollies.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Great atmosphere tonight. Can’t wait for Weber next week. Go Ags!
  • movielover
    How did they get the students out? Covid lowback?

Were they into it? Did the UC Davis Band show up?

Was tonight the running of the First years?

Good to see Babbs w 2 catches. Next week is a TEST.
  • CA Forever
    Tough to watch the offense almost totally dry up in the 2nd half, but boy oh boy was that first half fun. USD simply did not have an answer for pretty much everything we threw at them.

Hastings going 16/21 for 270 with 3 TDs and NO TURNOVERS is a good outing for him. The one sack was totally on him for not throwing the ball away and he's lucky Gilliam bailed him out of that decision. Probably won't be as lucky against Weber or MSU. Gilliam continues to be an absolute menace and congrats to him on his record setting career! TE Josh Gale had SPEED that I wasn't expecting on his TD reception.

I thought our DBs for the most part did fine in coverage and were really beat most of the time due to Erickson having a comfortable pocket to sit in. Gotta get more consistent pressure on the QB. Now the run defense was giving up too many chunk plays. Had a tough time bringing down Childers with poor tackling and we were fooled too many times for my taste by Re-al Mitchell keepers.

Kicking game still feels like a concern. Gomez is 1/4 on FGs this season with a long of 36 made. His other attempts have been 40-50+ which is long, but 25% just isn't going to cut it for the season. We've also had 2 extra points blocked/missed.

Good win! Bring on Weber State!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    It was not the running of the freshman. They are doing that next week. Not sure what got most of the students out, but they were into it for most of the game, at least until the 4th qtr. Very good showing. Band was there…sounded and looked much better than last year. Still got a ways to go but a good first game. I know the owners of the new tee dog, Cori, and they were very nervous before the game. But Cori came through like a champ! It was a great environment and hopefully we get that again next week.
  • DrMike
    Most the students were there for orientation. When we walked the concourse at halftime, there was signage directing them into various orientation groupings. They stayed to the end
  • DrMike
    In Gomez’ defense, that kick last night was into the teeth of a stiff wind. From our seats, it looked like it got pushed at the end.
  • Riveraggie
    It may count against a limit, but their league doesn’t count it as being an athletic scholarship, so the school is still non-scholarship. So San Diego, hypothetically, could give out 60 financial or scholastic scholarships and not exceed an FCS limit. Not saying they do.
    Then there is income based tuition. If Princeton pays 100% of attendance costs for middle income families, that’s not a scholarship but certainly an incentive for an athlete offered admission.
  • DrMike
    I’m always impressed with USD’s offense. Beside the wildcat, they never seem to run the same play twice.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It sounds like the Athletic Department is trying to come up with imaginative ways to entice the students to come out to the games and actually stay past halftime. The stampede may bring a few thousand students out for the Weber game but I doubt it will match this turn out.

10,833 students is a massive turnout of students for us but, when you subtract that number from the total attendance of 14,394, that leaves 3561 non-students in attendance which is a pretty low number. Usually, the non-student attendance far out numbers the student attendance.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was impressed with USD's offense. Their play calling and execution gave our defense problems. There was a stretch in the second half where they were consistently picking up big chunks of yardage especially running the ball. We need to shore that up or Weber will slice and dice us all game long on the ground.

Although the game was never all that close on the scoreboard, it felt more competitive than the final score. USD was a couple of plays away from at least 2 more TD's that stalled with our INT at the goal line and when they nearly scored on that flea flicker except for barely stepping out of bounds and turning the ball over on downs.
  • agalum
    I left before Dixon was put in. How did he look?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Scott Gordon was outstanding doing the commentary alongside Scott Marsh. His knowledge of the game and articulate comments after each play were very insightful. Really, really good!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Was the steam engine operating? If so, where did they have it located? I didn't really hear it on the TV broadcast.
  • DrMike
    it was way behind the student section. We could barely hear it. I don’t think there’s any steam, either.

I was looking at USD roster. They show 95 players, 35 from out of state. 11 different states. We have 105 listed with 8 from out of state.

Speaking of out of state, Rex Connors sat the last 2/3 of the game. Didn’t look serious; maybe a muscle pull
  • DrMike
    I also liked that they turned the stadium club into a merchandise shop (and beer stand). It was pretty full once they got their card reader working.

I miss the old outlet by the team room (NE concourse)
  • movielover
    No steam, little noise ... doesn't sound impressive.

How were concession lines? The place must have been packed!

Some of those moves sound sharp. Get students introduced to FB early, then running of the Frosh at Game #2. I was disappointed last year in understaffed concessions, and not all concessions open. Possibly Covid related. The food options are light years ahead of Tomey... but you risk missing large chunks of the game to stand in line. If the lines went quicker, I might go a second time --> more revenue. And then a better fan experience.

RE non students ... is our core base aging overall? Are we bringing in alums in their 30s and 40s?
  • BlueGoldAg
    The TV broadcast showed Rex Connors pointing to his left ankle when he came out of the game. I sure hope he's good to go against Weber. I also wonder how long Jake Parks is going to be out?
  • DrMike
    he was moving around okay on the sideline, looked like he was testing something with his leg. Nobody seemed overly concerned. I think he kept his helmet on the whole game
  • Zander
    Our core base is 100% aging. Or to put it another way, there’san age group of about age 22-32 in which we don’t have a fan base. This is the full consequence we’re feeling from those awful sputtering years under Gould with mediocre teams and bad marketing. Covid did not help either.

If I tell an Aggie or local resident my age that I have Davis season tickets the universal reaction is “Oh I heard/remember that Davis is terrible at football”. Doesn’t matter that we’ve had as many winning seasons under Hawkins as we had <4 win seasons under Gould by now, if you lose a fan they stay lost because they never bother to look into Aggie ball again.

I’m in the Young Alumni section but there is no actual section, I don’t know if anyone else sitting there is actually young alumni who purchased season tickets. It all seems to be player families and students sneaking in for better seats.
  • agalum
    Concession lines on the home side were long, as was the line in the mens room. They had a taco truck that was very popular. The food looked really good.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think that was Chando’s Tacos food truck. They are actually supposed to take over the old red rum (murder) burger location. I heard that a while ago and haven’t seen much movement so I’m not sure that’s still the plan.
  • movielover
    Portor Connors w a nice game including a pick, and RB JEREMIAH CHUKWUDOBE had some nice yardage w only a few attempts. Would have been nice to give Mitchell Dixon some more snaps. Great game to gear up for Weber.
  • Zander
    Regarding the game, best experience in UCDH stadium maybe ever IMO. GREAT crowd, dwindled a little at the end but makes sense, it was chilly, we were winning, and the students needed to go enjoy their first weekend in the dorms. Good fan engagement, clever giveaways, classic quirky band show, concession lines weren't terrible compared to what I've seen, mobile ticketing was smooth once I got the email, etc. Good food truck selection too. Really feels like the AD is listening, especially on "easy-win" gameday experience issues.

Of course everything is better when the offense starts of red-hot. Similar concerns with other folks on here that the offense sputtered a little in the middle, but on the other hand I'm thinking we can still wear teams down on the ground mid-game so long as we're in reach or in the lead. I seem to remember that's pretty much what happened at Tulsa back then, we stopped getting TDs as their defense held for large stretches -- but they were so tired after chasing HR and Gilliam all day that the Aggies could chew clock at will at the end.

I know there are disadvantages to being predictable, but there's just such a "cool" factor to the offense when Tompkins comes in at the redzone or two point conversion. It doesn't always work, but it's great to UCD basically challenge the other team to a physical battle and you know TT is going to give it his all to make Magic happen regardless of what gets thrown at him defensively or the stakes on the line. By my count the wildcat was the go-ahead scoring play three times in the last two seasons, which a stunning amount considering by now everyone's seen it on film since the CJ Spencer days.
  • NCagalum
    Scott Gordon was outstanding doing the commentary alongside Scott Marsh. His knowledge of the game and articulate comments after each play were very insightful. Really, really good!

Totally agree. What a nice surprise to have a very insightful and articulate person for commentary. I don’t know his background. When I googled him all I can up with is a former UC Davis golfer who made the PGA tour?
  • NCagalum
    Gonna need him (Rex Connors) and hopefully Buchanan back for the next 2 weeks. They are difference makers. Tattersall looked like he had a good game as well as Smalley. I believe one of those two got the start to replace Buchanan.
  • DrMike
    I didn’t realize Buchanan was out. No wonder they attacked the edge. Nick Eaton was very active last night. Tedeye is a difference maker
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    The Gould era had no marketing and the admin did very little to encourage students to show up. They started doing running of the freshman a few years back and that was big. I think last year or a year ago they either did a transfer student run or a senior day run. Both are important too. You know I'm a Cal fan and when I first transfered to school I didn't really care about the Ags at all. My christian fellowship is and still was led by a former yell leader at Toomey by the name of Will so he always brings a big group to the first home game after classes start. I only went because of that. But that was the "Hail Bakari" game and as a result I started getting into UC Davis sports (particularly FB, Both BB, and the diamond sports). I still support Cal and attended games there when the Ags were away, but I would make a priority to attend 3-4 Aggies games each year and never miss any Causeway or home CP gm).

Sorry to ramble but it's really important to bring students in, esp new freshman or transfers because they can build a foundation for student support. If a student cares, they will invite friends who come because they can hang with their friend. Ditto for basketball, although it is an easier sport to understand if not familiar with American football.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!