• 72Aggie
    Bee article on Sac State coach Taylor and the prospects of him leaving. A couple of interesting points:

1) He took a massive salary cut to leave the OC job at Utah and take the head coaching job at Sac. From a base pay of $525K to $242K.

2) Don't rely on Cal to recruit him soon. Cal HC Justin Wilcox just signed a contract extension through 2027 with an annual salary of $3M. Can't see Cal coming up with that kind of money to buy him out even if this year's team continues to stumble.

Sac State’s biggest fear is losing coach Troy Taylor, but he has ‘no intention of leaving’

BY JOE DAVIDSON
    UPDATED NOVEMBER 11, 2022 11:37 AM

It happens to any coach who has immediate success, who elevates programs, who gets players to respond, and who makes it all look easier than it really is.

Winning turns heads. It draws attention. It intrigues deep-pocketed boosters and donors. This is especially true in college football, and the aura of speculation has hovered over the Sacramento State program like storm clouds. Have the Hornets become so historically good in remarkably short order that they could lose the man primarily responsible for their success?

Sacramento State is ranked second nationally in the FCS, and the No. 1 talking point after Sacramento State wins games is how can the Hornets possibly keep coach Troy Taylor in place? How can they outbid suitors who want to tap into his genius? Or this: How fast does he want to pack the moving trucks and bolt?

First of all, Taylor isn’t packing. The house isn’t for sale. The kids aren’t getting yanked from school any time soon. He isn’t leaving this week or next month. He may not leave at all.

Taylor is in the fourth year of a seven-year contract, and for all his achievements here, there’s more work to be done. The Hornets are closing in on a Big Sky Conference championship three-peat and then getting rid of the bitter taste of opening-round FCS playoff losses in 2019 and 2021.

Taylor craves to compete. His job isn’t finished here.

“I have no intention of leaving here,” Taylor told The Sacramento Bee. “I’m having a great time. I love where we live. I love our football program, love our players, our coaches. I don’t know what the future holds, but I know I’m really happy here. I love this university and the city of Sacramento.”
    Typical coach speak? Taylor doesn’t mislead. He doesn’t yank chains. He’s not in this gig to chase a paycheck or to pad his ego. He’s in it to coach in a comfort zone.

Taylor took a pay cut when he left Folsom High School and a record run of success as co-head coach following the 2015 season to be the play caller at Eastern Washington of the Big Sky Conference. He didn’t seek out that job. It sought him out. Taylor sacked out on a mattress in a rented house in Cheney, Washington, snow up to your ankles outside. He slept in the dining room, the bed strategically placed near the light switch so he could tap it after breaking down plays until fatigue won out.

After one season with Eastern Washington, Taylor accepted the offensive coordinator post at Utah of the Pac-12, a natural climb in the coaching ladder. It was a massive pay increase from Eastern Washington and Folsom High, a base salary of $525,000. Taylor could have done that gig for years. Sacramento State president Robert S. Nelsen and athletic director Mark Orr reached out to Taylor before the 2019 season, and though they couldn’t offer Utah money, they offered job security and the chance to head a program in his hometown. Taylor jumped at it.

Taylor’s base salary when he signed with Sacramento State was $242,000, with bonuses sprinkled in to increase it. That Taylor’s name still comes up regularly when there are coaching changes on the FBS landscape is a credit to his impact. The FBS is where $15 million buyouts are the norm.

Orr said his greatest concern is losing Taylor. Will Taylor be plucked by Cal, where he set passing records as a four-year starting quarterback in the late 1980s? Who knows, but Cal extended coach Justin Wilcox through the 2027 season. Do the Bears have the finances to buy him out of his annual salary of $3.05 million? Too much speculation makes one dizzy. It’s wasted energy.

Taylor’s gifts include focusing on the immediate. The only thing the Hornets are talking about this week is their next opponent, Portland State, and then it’ll be UC Davis for the annual Causeway Classic. Sacramento State was winless in the Big Sky in 2018 and Taylor has promptly gone 21-2 in the Big Sky ever since. The Hornets’ regular-season winning streak is a program-record 17. Sacramento State dropped a hammer at Colorado State 41-10 earlier this season, and Orr said he made sure to collect the $400,000 payout to even play the game.

But for all of that gloss, the Hornets are 0-2 in the FCS playoffs under Taylor and staff. That drives everyone on the roster. Should Sacramento State win its final two Big Sky games, the Hornets would secure the No. 1 or 2 national FCS seed. That means the Hornets could host up to three playoff games, if they win them. The opportunity to bring a national championship to Sacramento is right there for the taking, and if an FBS program plucks Taylor for that achievement, so be it. But Taylor isn’t spending late nights wondering where his next gig will be.

Or maybe Taylor and his staff ride out the contract and keep on winning here. Maybe it all leads to upgraded facilities, higher salaries, better recruits. Who knows? Taylor doesn’t even know.

“I know Troy and his staff want to win in the playoffs, and we all do,” said Orr, the athletic director, earlier this fall. “We hope to keep Troy here for a long time, but we know other schools will want him. Who wouldn’t want a great coach?”

Taylor has said he would coach for a sack lunch and a cold bottle of water. That’s pretty much what he earned while leading Folsom to record success. Money talks but not everyone walks.

“I’m doing the same thing I did at Folsom, only this pays more,” Taylor said with a laugh.

When Taylor was at Folsom, he drove a beater of a Toyota Camry, with years-old french fries wedged between the seats and melted crayons marking the beige carpets, the bonus of hauling your own kids around.

“It’s a miracle we get paid to do this, to coach,” Taylor said. “I’ve got a better car now. The Camry is somewhere, in a junkyard, crayons and all. I’m very happy here.”

This story was originally published November 11, 2022 5:00 AM.
    https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article268532647.html
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Great read. I know he'd take the Cal job if HC but do you see anyone else giving him an offer he couldn't refuse? I don't think he'd take the Assistant coach job for Cal though. He would still be close enough to Sac but the Cal fan in me and the Davis alum both want Troy Taylor out.
  • 69aggie
    As much as I am an Aggie fan, I have to give sac credit for hiring him and doing well. They have been the object of much ridicule (nonstick spray) and many years of not having much of a program and not many wins. So good for sac! But I view this article by Davidson who is not a bad writer as a “i hope he reads this and agrees) sort of article. The problem is Taylor is young and ambitious so he will be gone sooner than later. He will be getting offers after this season. Will he risk the dropping of is creds next season? His agent is telling him right now NO in very emphatic terms.
  • BlueGoldAg
    If Cal were to buy out Wilcox's $3 million a year contract and offer Taylor something similar, he'd be gone is the blink of an eye.
  • 72Aggie
    That's $3 million a year, with five years left on the contract. RIght now that's worth $15M to Wilcox

Who knows what specifics the contract may have about buyouts, but it would cost alot more than $3 million. Up to the $15M?? A Gofundme isn't going to do it.
  • cmt
    Yeah, there's been too many times when a coach has said some form of the "I'm happy here and I'm not leaving" only to then leave that there's no point in believing them.

Now, could Taylor be telling the truth? Sure. But only time will tell on that.
  • AggieFinn
    He's losing two senior QB's next season, and a star senior WR. They've been able to recruit well in the transfer portal, however, so the idea of being a power each year is real. Skattebo's only a sophomore so that helps.

This still feels like Taylor's peak season, if he goes deep in the playoffs his Sac HC resume will be sparkling this off-season. The offers, and the money will be there.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    We're paying Hawkins less about half of what Sac is paying Taylor. Is that an alumni/pay your son 145k discount?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Taylor took a sizable pay cut to come to Sacramento State, where his base annual pay is $242,000. That’s about $1.7 million through the duration of his seven-year contract. Taylor’s 2018 base salary at Utah was $525,000, plus a bonus of $87,500, a total about 2½ times his annual take at Sacramento State, where he is the highest-paid coach.

“It’s never been about the money for me,” says Taylor, who will earn a bonus if the Hornets win the conference title. “It’s about believing in where I am and being challenged. My goal when I left Folsom High School was to one day be a head coach, and this is a great opportunity. They’re paying me well. This is where I want to be.”

https://www.csus.edu/sacstatemagazine/2019/05/terms-of-endearment.html
  • SochorField
    Recently in CFB it seems coaches enjoy the immediate “jolt” and success for a couple season- call it the emotional boost if you will….Tedford @ Cal for a few seasons, Hawkins, now Taylor. Year 4-5 seems to be where the rubber meets the road.

Taylor doesn’t seem to have the deep emotional connection to Sac that Hawk does at Davis.

Bye, Falecia.
  • movielover
    I bet part if it is that they lose talented assistant coaches. Even Shaw is struggling at Stanford, possibly bc they can't take advantage of the transfer portal.
  • Wookie
    CAL cannot afford to buy out Wilcox. Wilcox turned down Oregon and the Ducks seems satisfied with Lanning even with last night’s upset to the Huskies. I don’t see Taylor leaving Sac anytime soon. But who knows, if he wins the National Championship there will be teams calling. We are lucky to have Hawkins. A win next week and success in the playoffs would be program improvement for me.
  • AggieFinn
    I'm watching the highlights from the Cal @ Oregon State game last night, and a 3 win Cal team....looks absolutely terrible in all three phases. Getting pushed around on defense, their offense flat out sucked, and they gave up a punt return TD.
  • 69aggie
    Be interesting to know who provides the $112,000 “other pay” and the same for Hawkins $5000. Too bad we have to ask this of publicly funded universities?
  • movielover
    My guess... bonuses, Hornet Club, and media rights.
  • Wookie
    Cal releases OC Musgrave and OLMcClure. As per Bear Insider.
  • movielover
    Six losses in a row, 1-6 in Pac 12 play.
  • Wookie
    Yup, Two more home games. Big Game this week. And then UCLA. Should be interesting.
  • 72Aggie
    Cal and the 'furd are both struggling this season. UCLA made it interesting by losing to Arizona last night.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here's an article about whether Cal will offer Taylor the OC job now that Bill Musgrave has been fired:

There is no doubting Taylor’s fondness for his alma mater, as you can tell from his remarks in an interview we did last season before Cal played Sac State.

“There’s not a place that’s more special to be than Berkeley. I love the place. It’s a big part of my life,” Taylor says in the video at the top of this story. “It kind of shaped the person I am in terms of being challenged academically and athletically.

“Yeah, I would have liked to have won a Rose Bowl — that was really my only goal in going there. Obviously, we did not do that, but still great memories and a very special place to me.”

vv16sk9lt9dvihm9.png

Whole article here: https://www.aggiesportstalk.com/discussion/1978/bee-article-on-sac-state-coach-taylor-and-the-prospects-for-him-moving-on
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!