• Riveraggie

CHRISTOPH HIROTA.
  • movielover
    Hirota had several nice runs, and so did the interesting Niko Harris, kind of a standup runner. Harris may give us other options.

When will we break out a new Trick play? Like hide the midget? (Not PC.)

https://youtu.be/uCeV-oOCB-w
  • agalum

And Figueroa. He looks to be a Gilliiam clone.
  • NCagalum
    Key in my mind is to contain Davis. He has busted several long ones this year and put opponents away with them. Prior to last week Weber had only averaged 270 or so yards of offense a game. Against SDSU they had something like 70 yards (yes Virginia). Playing SDSU will skew things a bit, but my point is they don’t have many offensive weapons and so containment of Davis will be key

Edit: actually besides cal poly and may, Davis has not been a big factor. He was banged up a bit early in the season and doesn’t have a ton of rushing attempts. He does have the home run potential and that needs to be contained. .
  • AggieFinn
    Niko Harris is playing, yes?
  • quadshock
    Whenever I hear "stop the run and we win" what I recall seeing is us giving up uncharacteristic huge passing plays to the other teams. Hope the D can put together a complete game
  • NCagalum
    Weber QB is not in the upper half of big sky QBs when it comes to passing.
  • movielover
    Yes, 6 rushes, 41 yards, a long of 21 with a 6.5 YPC. I believe he also had a rushing TD.

Hirota had 6 rushes for 21 yards. He did well his first 3 carries when he had some room.
  • Riveraggie
    Figueroa? I’ve wondered why we haven’t seen him but I don’t think he has had a carry.
  • movielover
    Is the crowd for Brewfest young?
  • DrMike
    yep. and thirsty!
  • movielover
    Where is Doug Kelly?
  • DrMike
    He don’t think he has ever done the coaches show. He was ‘on assignment’ last game and missed the broadcast. I think he still works with some bowls scouting ( he was involved in SF bowl). I saw a post he was at Troy v south Alabama game.

Speaking of Doug, did you know he was information officer for the USFL back in 80’s? I’m reading a book about the rise and fall of the USFL and he’s quoted often. I bet he has some stories, especially about Trump.
  • agalum

Well, looking at the roster there are two 31s, Spencer and Figueroa. I might have been watching Spencer and thinking it was Figueroa.
  • movielover
    Weber RB - FCS freshman of the year last year?

Solid back, but I did a little digging. I believe NAU gets gashed (isn't that the new term?) on the ground by everybody this year. So it was Weber's strength vs NAUs weakness.
  • agalum
    Either way, this is another pivotal game for us if the playoffs are going to be a possibility.
  • Riveraggie
    I hope Drakeley can play. Against SUU he was the leader among defensive linemen for tackles with four solo tackles, he seems to be a good run defender, as he said in 2010 profile “a brick wall with feet”.
    Drakeley and De’andre Morgan were the only 260+ lb non-starter defensive linemen to play and Drakeley was the only one of those two to record a tackle.
  • movielover
    Bo Eason a strange choice to be the 2nd name honored at Aggie Health Stadium.
  • Riveraggie
    Perhaps the criteria heavily favors NFL draft & career. Bo was a second round pick.
  • AggieFinn

By that measure, DT Tom Williams (drafted 2nd Rd. 1970, San Diego Chargers) or DE Mike Wise (drafted 4th Rd. 1986, Los Angeles Raiders) will be next...

Personally, I think it'll be O'Sullivan (darfted 6th Rd. 2002, New Orleans Saints) or Rolf (drafted 12th Rd. 1977, Oakland Raiders).

Aggie Football Draftees: History
  • Riveraggie
    I’d like to see Casey Merrill get recognized.
    Wikipedia:
    Merrill spent nine seasons in professional football as a defensive end and outside linebacker. Blessed with exceptional speed (4.65 40 yard dash), Merrill became the first designated pass rusher in the NFL to line up and pass rush from both defensive line and linebacker positions. In the 1981 season Merrill had 7 sacks and 3 fumble recoveries for the Green Bay Packers. In the strike shortened 1982 season Casey had 4 sacks. In 1984 with the New York Giants, Merrill led all Giant defensive lineman with 11 sacks, including 1 in the playoffs against the San Francisco 49ers bringing Joe Montana down with a crushing hit.
  • movielover
    Rolf had an AMAZING, long NFL career, and off the field charity work is legendary. (Eason played 2 years as a backup.)

Eason doesn't make the top 5, possibly not even the top 10 list.
  • Riveraggie
    Eason played five years and started all 16 games in 1985.
    I don’t think we can say he doesn’t deserve to have his name up there; maybe others are more deserving but we shouldn’t read too much into the order of selection, lots of deserving candidates.
  • AggieFinn

Ken O'Brien told the great story about Rolf and how he ended up at Davis, and how Sochor found out about him being there. Soch didn't even know he was on campus at the start of it, sort of got told through the coaching grapevine.
  • movielover
    I believe Kenny said other college coaches were calling, saying "We hear you pay players to come to Davis."

Sochor is like, "What the heck? We don't even have scholarships." They were told about Rolf's abilities, so they had to use the dorm directory to call him! Ha!
  • AggieFinn

Yeah, I guess he was all sewn up to kick at USC (who was damn near the top program back in the mid-70's) and Rolf realized he wanted to get into zoology and animal science so he ditched USC and the whole football thing to go to Davis because of the academics.

I think he was playing soccer at the time, so Soch worked it into his schedule that he obviously had to find a way to kick on gameday...and of course, get some work in with the special teams unit when he could during the week.

Of course, there's the story of Rolf banging in two goals during an afternoon match, then taking a small plane to San Luis Obispo (was that the place?) - to nail 3 or 4 field goals! Or maybe it was goals in Santa Barbara, and field goals in Davis. I don't remember the exact story. But good on the pilot making the special last minute trip.
  • AggieFinn
    Looks like James Madison and Weber just agreed to a home-and-home series.

Is NDSU slated to visit Davis soon?
  • DrMike
    i think that was a one-off. NDSU has the luxury of playing home-only games with opponents because they pack the dome.

my biggest concern this saturday is Weber controlling the clock with the run. we'd had problems this year when the offense is kept off the field -> not only does the defense get worn down (and we're thin to start) but the offense loses rhythm. perfect scenario is to get a nice early lead and see if they deviate from the run-first approach and put the ball in the QB's hands. good player, but, not their strength.
  • AggieFinn
    Maier is going to have to be crystal clean for us to stay in this game. Accuracy, timing, good decisions and no turnovers.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!