• BlueGoldAg
    Unfortunately for the Aggies, Holly Winterburn, a high-level guard transfer from Oregon with 3 years of eligibility left, has decided to go home and turn pro.

Expected to be a key transfer for UC Davis women’s basketball, former Oregon guard Holly Winterburn has announced her return to England over the weekend, signing a three-year deal with the Leicester Riders of the Women’s British Basketball League.

Winterburn, who had three seasons of NCAA eligibility remaining, also will study at Loughborough University, as per her professional contract.

In her only season as a Duck, the 5-11 Winterburn appeared in 28 games while backing up three-time Pac-12 Player of the Year Sabrina Ionescu.

Winterburn averaged 18.2 ppg for the English U20s last summer and was named to the FIBA U20 European Championship All-Star Five.

“I’m super excited to be back,” the 5-11 Winterburn said on the Riders’ website today. “I’m in a great place mentally and physically so I can’t wait to get the preseason underway.

“Playing in America was an amazing experience and I’m grateful for the memories and relationships I made. However, I missed home a lot so coming back to the UK was the best decision for me.

“I have the perfect situation with the Riders, being able to study and play in the place that made me who I am today.

Read more here: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggie-guard-winterburn-opts-for-pro-contract-home-in-u-k/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=80e7cd7f69-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-80e7cd7f69-171004309
  • Oldbanduhalum
    That's too bad. It felt like she had the chance to be a big part of a very talented Aggie team. Wish her the best.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Bummer for Davis, but, with college sports looking as shaky as they do for the near future, it's not totally surprising.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was looking forward to seeing her play but I'm not all that surprised with her decision to go home. It must have been tough for her transferring to a new school with the pandemic and shutdown taking place. It's hard enough to make new friends and settle into a new school without any restrictions in place. She must have felt very isolated when you add that to the fact that we won't be playing basketball this fall either. That makes it easy to understand why she would want to return back to her family, friends and UK.
  • 69aggie
    PAC 12 cancelled all sports to 2021, including MBB and WBB, so surely the BWC will follow suit. So she was looking at perhaps 2 years of not playing (as we do not yet know how the NCAA will rule on resulting eligibility issues). This no doubt factored in to her decision.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!