• fugawe09
    I don't know for sure, but I've gotten the sense that Campus Rec may "own" the Pavilion with ICA as a "tenant". But I could be wrong. The subdividing net would be in the way of a cube unless one or the other was off-centered. The net made sense when the building had wall-to-wall maple, but with the modern portable floor setup, you have to pull the floor to deploy the net. Not a 5-minute changeover, so I'm not sure how much value it provides. Curtains to mask the upper level from lower would seem more useful. It could make economic sense to replace some of the mezzanine chairs with cushy seats and develop a club room somewhere in the building as sort of a "caulk and paint make it what it ain't" faux luxury. But a wholesale reworking of the upper level probably wouldn't have a good cost/benefit equation vs purpose building something new. Regardless, new or old, the biggest ongoing problem I see with facilities across campus is a totally inadequate operations and maintenance budget where basic cleaning, repairs, and routine replacement schedules are ignored until they become substantial failures. I hate seeing new and refurbished spaces that I know won't be kept painted and polished.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Video of the video board

• movielover
    Good insight from Fugawe.

Elfan "They really need a modern space with at least average DI amenities for basketball and the flexibility to modulate between say 5k and 10k seats without looking like a horror show."

Let's not get ahead of ourselves beating up the Pavilion. Its been a while, but from what I recall UOP, SMC, USF, and many of the WCC schools don't have great facilities. They have modest size, and are fun w a packed house.

I have pondered how much we lost losing 2,000 or so seats. Graduation is one. Could we land bigger musicians w 2-3,000 more seats? There were some big names at Rec Hall.

Aggie6thman had a long list of missed opportunities w the facelift. (We can't even get consistent audio at Aggie Stadium.)

So ICA now controls these facilities, which were supposed to be for all students - The Pavilion, Upper & Lower Hickey?

Question for Fugawe - how about the chain link eyesore in front of the Pavilion & ARC. Emergency fire hydrants? There had to be other options.
  • fugawe09
    THAT is an eyesore. If I peeked over the fence in person I might have a better idea, but from aerial photos it looks like maybe a sewer lift station or water booster pump. Pre-2003 aerials are blurry, but it may have pre-dated the ARC when it wouldn't have been so front and center. With enough money you can move infrastructure, but a different landscape design could have mitigated it better at a reasonable cost.
  • Russ Bowlus
    I think it sat at the edge of the bike racks, pre-ARC, at the border between the Rec Hall hardscaping and the big grass fields that used to be there. My memory's about as fuzzy as the 1998 aerial photo, though. :rofl:
  • Zander
    I wonder, is there a particular reason why it has to be unadorned chain link? Could they not put up even some simple coverings with the UC Davis wordmark or something that people could use as selfie backgrounds or whatever?

(I assume there's some cost to replace them if they get tattered in a storm, but we're talking some very small costs by university standards. Even just having something adorning it for basketball season and commencement week would be better)
  • elfan

In agreement there. Not suggesting they should build anything crazy. But...the WCC, while a bad comp for Davis, each of those venues is better for hoops than the current version of the Pavilion, by a wide margin. Those schools are also tiny and have limited access to funding. Santa Clara, Gonzaga (obviously) and BYU (in development) have suites and premium seating. USD has a nice expensive functional space and USF, UOP are old, but very good for basketball. The Mountain West is a better comp for UCD. All public schools and most of their facilities are the largest or second largest within about 50 miles. Except for SJSU, they all have premium seating or 10k+ capacity. Many have both. If you look at the concert and entertainment events that Rec Hall hosted as a larger capacity venue versus what they are doing now it is obvious that things are not going well (and I recognize the University has 100 excuses about changing market dynamics to deflect blame).
  • fugawe09
    I don't think it has to be chain link. A printed scrim would be fairly economic at this point and they last about 6 months. I'm not sure why the original designer didn't shift the adjacent planter bed over a bit. The equipment could have been hidden in plain sight with a hedge and some green paint.

IDK if the venue makes a ton of money off renting to concerts, but it is good promotion of the university name in the metro area if a pop star appearance is being constantly advertised on the radio. Right now for an endstage 180 setup the Pavilion is viable for 4-5k. If you're a promoter that wants this capacity, does this make sense considering most of the seats have no back, the electrical and rigging capabilities are below par, no truck bay, a box office committed to Paciolan ticketing instead of Ticketmaster, and you gotta deal with Aggie Hosts and TAPS red tape? Memorial Auditorium is similar capacity with less friction. There is probably a market for 8-10k shows that wouldn't be viable at Golden 1 Center. And if you are serious about selling corporate suites, you need a mix of non-athletic events where that first right of refusal on desirable show tickets adds value. That said, athletics are the main reason for having an arena and the Pavilion is fun when it's full (I think more fun prior to the last renovation). I remember the Davis-Stanford game circa 2006; place was filled to the rafters and rocking.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Lets be honest, Sac State would kill for this upgrade. They play in a middle school gym for all intents and purposes.

Also, I really like the graduation set-up. It is very different from all of the other events I have attended there. I've seen BB, gymnastics, and pretty much any ica team event there, career/housing fairs, and Doxie. But the graduation set up is my favorite.
  • 69aggie
    A very sad event, but the Corona funeral service was exceptionally well done. I agree the space has its limitations, but all in all it is a very user friendly and versatile event space. Acoustics are very good as well for such a big place.
  • DrMike
    this should be really nice for graduation since the screen will be above the stage.

My oldest graduated at ARCO and having a big screen to see kids get their diploma up close and personal
  • Oldbanduhalum
    And there’s the new addition, transfer from Nevada. 3 years of eligibility left. Usually he’d need to sit out a year but not sure what the rules are now. 6’4” wing. Looks like a good shooter out of France.

• BlueGoldAg
    His highlight reel is impressive...quick release on the deep 3's and a nice step back jumper. I'm excited to see him play this fall. Les sure does like his lefties!
  • DrMike
    Another MWC transfer. Looks like a good addition
  • BlueGoldAg
    UCSB landed Zack Harvey a 6'4, 4 star, sophomore SG, transfer from Cincinnati who had offers from many Power 5 programs out of high school including UCLA, Oregon, Ohio State, Kansas and Oklahoma. Pasternack has really been bringing in high level talent in the past couple of years.
  • movielover
    Stats, Nevada 16-10

MPG 22
    PPG 4.8
    APG 1.0
    FG 38%
    3FG 37%
    FT 67%
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I saw Harvey signed to SB. He’ll fill the McLoughlin roll as I’m sure he’ll be playing for money somewhere next year. The rest of the BW better step up the recruiting or we’ll all be fighting for second.
  • BlueGoldAg
    True. Irvine comes close to SB in recruiting but the Matadors have been outpacing the rest of the BW lately. I'm not sure that SB has as strict academic requirements as Irvine and Davis though and that may make things easier for them to land top talent.

Northridge is able to recruit very talented players also but often has other problems that hinder their success. Bakersfield will be another BW school who will undoubtedly bring in some very athletic players on a regular basis.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I tried to read up on the transfer rules and it looks like the ncaa will approve this week new rules that will allow athletes to transfer once in the their careers without sitting out one year. So it looks like we’ll get Milling right away. I assume he’ll fit right into the current guard/wing rotation.
  • DrMike
    UCSB has been killing it with P5 transfers; i believe that 4 of their starters from last year's team were of that variety. That's probably not an area we will make any inroads.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    we’ll get the odd one every once in a while, Hawk from ASU and Eddie Miller from Cal, but you’re right, we’ll need to rely on finding the diamonds in the rough.
  • Gauchofreg
    UC Davis sure likes the Gaucho legacy players, Kane's dad, Kyle Milling, played for UCSB for two years before transferring to Oregon. So Kane & BJ Shaw have that in common.

As for UCSB hitting the transfer market hard since Pasternack took over, transfers have definitely been the bedrock of the program's success. That being said, two time All BW 1st Teamer Amadou Sow was a HS recruit. The other HS players Pasternack has recruited have had small roles. I had misgivings on it at first but given what is happening (1300 players in the portal now) it seems that he was just a bit ahead of many of the other programs. UCSB does have two freshmen guards coming in next season that are supposed to be good but will probably need some time to make a major impact. Depending on if any players take advantage of the waiver year or not, SB will probably pick up at least one more transfer for next season.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Thanks for the info, Freg. I hadn't realized that Milling had ties to UCSB. I guess in about 10 years will be signing Alan Williams Jr.
  • DrMike
    Sow was a great keep. I’m like you -the transfer portal isn’t a favorite of mine, but it’s here to stay. I like giving a chance for a kid to leave early in his career if he decides it’s not a right fit - that gives him time to become part of a new program and campus. Less excited about guys showing up for one year.
  • Gauchofreg
    Btw, Milling looks like a player that can make an impact for you guys. I know that highlight videos can be misleading but his quick release and first step moves seem legit. Last year I was telling friends, ok lets see UCSB beat up on Davis but I hope Shaw goes off for 20. Now I can maybe hope that Shaw & Milling go "off" for maybe 10 apiece ;-)
  • DrMike
    ugh; that stings
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah, that sucks. Squire was a tough defender, strong inside for his size, and I think had some untapped potential in his outside shot. Wish him luck wherever he ends up. I hope he is the only player we lose!

The signing of Milling makes even more sense. He could step right into Squire's starting spot, or be one of the first guards off the bench. I wonder if we are in the market for another transfer?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!