• Goags20172
    Please scroll up. 69aggie asked a question about baseball as it relates to the continuation of sports (budgetary concerns). MLB has a direct impact on the college sport financially and in terms of fan support. I'd explain why but you clearly aren't interested

You're free to talk about basketball. There are 3 pages of responses on yhis topic. Some scrolling is necessary.
  • MTBAggie
    It was a rhetorical question. I'm specifically calling out @movielover for bringing up "riots" in Portland, "MSM" and "war zones," and taking a knee in the MLB. None of it has anything to do with Aggie basketball or the transfer portal (which has ties to other sports including baseball). All I'm saying is, we don't have to devolve in to politics whenever a controversial city, person, subject, etc. gets mentioned. If Squire wants to go to Portland, best of luck to the young man.
  • 69aggie
    I was wondering if this talk of Aggie Baseball being cut is irrelevant if the BWC requires it for all members? I cannot find the answer online and I do not possess the BWC school contract(s). Baseball and MBB are the only teams that all BWC members have fielded in 2021. Other sports: here and there. The Aggies have the maximum number of all sports listed except men’s volleyball as far as my research has taken me.
  • DrMike
    I think the post about cutting baseball was misposted
  • Goags20172
    The Big West has sent mixed messages about it. It has had baseball-less members (Utah State, Idaho, and UC Irvine-until the 2001-2 season), affiliate members (Sac State) and they told CSUB they had to have a team to join. Now that there are 11 members that play it. I don't think they'd have a problem with 1 team opting out.

Remember, no BW team competes in all sports. Some don't have both soccer or tennis teams; at least 1 doesn't have softball. UCD doesn't sponsor men's volleyball.

Now to make this relevant-I hope UCD's better baseball players (like Jalen Smith and Kyler Arenado) don't pull a Squires or a Yanez and jump in the transfer portal or decide to play basketball instead. There we go.
  • BlueGoldAg
    He came to CSUN after being fired from NC State due to allegations of NCAA rules violations. So he brought a questionable ethics history with him and now this...
  • DrMike
    shocking, just shocking!!!
  • True Blue Aggie
    and BlueGoldAg
    Agree 100% and I join BlueGoldAg in substantial sarcasm when I also say, "shocking!".

Man... CSUN has been a qualified mess for years. The Theus years were a joke. I mean . . . I like Reggie . . . I enjoyed watching him when he played for the Kings, coached the Kings, etc... but as a college coach at CSUN, he was a jackass. Regularly and brutally belittling his players (one of whom was his own kid). And I'm not talking about about the "normal" yelling and barking that coaches do. It was personal. And it was extremely mean-spirited. Theus getting in to a fist fight with the AD in 2018 was just the height of jackassery on both their parts. And a HUGE embarrassment for CSUN. Both of them getting fired within hours was the best thing CSUN could have done.

And then . . . they bring on Gottfried, along with all his seriously questionable baggage?????? CSUN MBB needs to figure out who they are and what they are going to stand for. Right now . . . the optics look awful.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Coach Gross just signed a contract extension through 2030-2031 season. :up: :up:

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/5/7/womens-basketball-gross-inks-deal-to-remain-at-aggie-helm.aspx
  • Zander
    Amazing and well-deserved.

Gonna be interesting to see who makes overtures to her in 2031 when she has a streak of 15 conference championships though
  • Russ Bowlus
    Certainly makes me worry a little bit less about Tara VanDerveer deciding to retire in the next few years... :D

And yeah, the WBB seems like a sports team being run the Right Way (the Davis Way?). Very happy to see that the University is looking long-term.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Perfect...she's right up there with the best coaches in D1 women's basketball.
  • movielover
    Congrats. Well deserved.
  • 69aggie
    She is the best! I have worried that Stanford might get her after Tara retired. But not so! She is a monument to Aggies sports.Just love the girl!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Sydney Fipps and Corey Hawkins are among the 2021 selections for the Cal Aggie Athletics Hall of Fame: https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/5/11/athletics-uc-davis-announces-2021-hall-of-fame-class.aspx
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Good stuff. Both are well deserving.
  • DrMike
    Hawkins was a game changer for the men’s program!
  • DrMike
    0ip8ys3yx30zml4a.png

Best of luck to Kennedy. Hard-nosed kid who brought energy every time he was on the court. I think his ‘transfer’ was a numbers game - no room for another grad transfer.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    New HS commit per verbal commits. Sione Lose is a 6’4” local kid from Sac. Had an offer from suc st. Looks like he’ll need to develop a bit physically but his tape show a pretty athletic player with a good all around skill set.

This is from last year so I don’t know how he has developed.

• BlueGoldAg
    I really like what I'm seeing in his highlights video. He has great moves off the dribble...crossover, jab and Euro steps with the ability create his own shot with. His passing and assist skills are impressive and he can really leap and play above the rim. It will be fun to watch him develop over the years.

• Oldbanduhalum
    So three new faces for the coming season. One, Milling, will see a lot of time and may even start, while the two freshmen, Lose and Niles, will probably take some time to develop but seem to have high ceilings. All 3 are very athletic and listed between 6’4” and 6’6, which will fit nicely into Les’ scheme. Losing Squire and Koehler hurts but the future looks bright. Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    WBB news: Trpcic will be leaving for graduate school while Hall and Svanholm will be playing this fall.

One of the top point guards in the history of the UC Davis women’s basketball program Mackenzie Trpcic won’t be back on the Aggie sidelines this upcoming hoops season.

Mackie T is heading home.

Graduating this past week with a psychology degree, Trpcic, a Hamilton, Ontario, native will continue her playing career at the University of Calgary, where she plans to begin coursework on a masters in kinesiology.

However, her Aggie teammate, fellow graduating senior and 2021 Big West Player of the Year, Cierra Hall, will be back. Hall has told head coach Jennifer Gross that she plans to return this fall, after snaring MVP honors this past spring after posting 14.6-point and 6.8-rebound averages. Davis post Lena Svanholm also has announced her intention to return. The 6-foot-6 international Aggie from Hoersholm, Denmark, will be working on a masters in pharmaceutical chemistry.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies/do-i-stay-or-do-i-go-graduating-aggies-retain-season-of-ncaa-eligibility/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=923a1968b5-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-923a1968b5-171004309
  • 69aggie
    DE article has a paywall. Couldn’t read it. So who plays point for us? Hard to see Campbell back so soon.
  • Gunrock47
    based on minutes last season I think we will be seeing a lot more from PG /F Allie Carreon. Turner, who could honestly make a run at BWC MVP if she continues playing like she did toward the end of this past season, could possibly handle the ball too.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The box that shows up on the DE site is only asking for a donation or subscription. You can just click the X in the upper right hand corner of the box if you do not want to do that and then you can read the article for free.

If you are not a subscriber, a small donation now and then can help them stay in business.
  • 69aggie
    Blue. Will do.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hall initiate a lot of the offense.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!