• Russ Bowlus
    Sanders will be back as well, likely. I honestly wouldn't be super surprised to see Konrad bring the ball up, either. Lots of options!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Looks like another freshman signing. PG out of WA who has big time range.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Couldn’t find senior year highlights but here’s from a year ago.

• BlueGoldAg
    Here's a link to a great story about the challenges that DeBruhl has been through in the past year including a serious battle with COVID and the death of a close friend. Many of the schools that had been considering recruiting him faded away during this time also and it was very tough on him. He sounds like a great kid who is very motivated to play D1 basketball. He's a perfect fit for Jim Les and the Aggies: high character, talented, overlooked and hungry.

https://scorebooklive.com/washington/2021/07/13/seattle-academys-leo-debruhl-found-inspiration-amid-emotionally-taxing-year-every-time-i-play-basketball-im-reminded-of-her/
  • BlueGoldAg
    I like what I see in that highlight video. He has a great 3 point shot and can hit it with a defender in his face while he's falling away. He sees the floor well and makes terrific passes on the fly. He's going to be fun to watch over the next 4 years.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    definitely sounds like a mature kid who you want on your team. A tough year on him, as it has been on a lot of kids, but hopefully Davis, in general, and the MBB, specifically, will provide him a place to continue his healing.

From a basketball perspective, I’m wondering if he will continue to a prep school and not come to the Ags until 2022, or if he was able to pivot and get into UCD for this coming fall? If it’s this year, it’s pretty unusual to get a player of his skill level so late in the recruiting process. Either way, as BGA said, he’ll be a great addition.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Here’s the official notice. Looks like he’s coming this fall. Should really help with our outside shooting.
    https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/7/26/mens-basketball-aggies-ink-seattles-debruhl-to-letter-of-intent.aspx
  • Russ Bowlus
    Oddly timed lead photo. :lol:
  • Oldbanduhalum
    A little article about how DeBruhl found his way to Davis. Sounds like he’ll be asked to do quite a bit this season https://scorebooklive.com/washington/2021/07/26/leo-debruhls-up-and-down-recruiting-journey-ends-with-late-surprise-2021-commitment-to-uc-davis/
  • movielover
    Our smallest D1 team?

Ten guards, 4 forwards... 3 young.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    There's probably several ways to look at "smallest" aggie team in D1, factoring in height with playing minutes, position. Some guys will play different from their listed size. JT was one that played big. Even though he was listed at 6'7", his physical nature and athleticism allowed him to protect the rim on defense and push "bigger" guys around. Where as AJ John, listed at 6'8", played more like a 6'4" wing. Not criticizing his play, but his skill set was more a traditional outside player.

But, just out of curiosity, I took the average height of a couple of teams. the 12-13 and 16-17 teams both averaged 6'4". Last year and this years team average 6'5". Your point is valid, though, as I'm sure there will be plenty of times where we see 6'5" as the tallest aggie on the court.
  • DrMike
    I was talking to someone in the department today and the transfer portal came up, specifically Squire. Sounds like he got bad advice about his potential beyond college and the need to move to a big program. Problem? Big programs weren’t interested and Les considers the portal a one way trip. PSU was the best option. Too bad
  • BlueGoldAg
    That's interesting, Mike. It's obvious that Les has made a statement about his players testing the waters for a bigger stage: "If you aren't 100% committed to being an Aggie and want to see if there is something bigger out there, then don't bother to try and come back if it doesn't pan out." That may be harsh but it does say something about the team culture and the commitment to the program that he expects from his players.
  • movielover
    Speaking of Portland State, it looks like their new coach got a load of Transfers who can play, and have size. And they return 3 starters.

MARLON RUFFIN - 6'5" G, JR, 13 PPG and 3.4 RPG

MICHAEL CARTER III - 6'5" G, JR - 14.6 PPG at The Beach

SQUIRES - 6'0" G, JR - 12 PPG and 1.5 APG

JAMES JEAN-MARIE - 6'8", 235 SR F - averaged 12 / 5 RPG at Hawaii. Fellow Canadian to give Squires company.

HAYDEN CURTISS - SO, 6'10", limited action. 2 PPG / 2 RPG / 1 BPG

MIKAL STARKS - pass first point guard from Georgia.

EZEKIEL ALLEY - 6'0" SR G - DII transfer which averaged 20 PPG. Interesting jump, good luck to the young man.

That's over 50 PPG, not counting the DII transfer.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    That game against PSU in Davis will be an interesting one.
  • movielover
    This sounds like spin. What 'future' (beyond Europe) does a 6'0" G have who averages 12 PPG?

Looks like the Vikings already had 2 solid guards and then recruited three more D1 proven 6'5" guards after Squires signed. They look solid on paper. If the new HC can create a cohesive team, they could have a 20+ win year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was wrong about the Ags playing PSU. They are actually hosting the Portland Pilots on 12/22.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Corey Hawkins to be inducted into the Aggie Athletics Hall of Fame

piznl2rnlykm8pm4.png
  • Oldbanduhalum
    New floor to go along with the new video board

lnqt0hzdfzo6trq4.jpeg
    49t4wccsdkrusblr.jpeg
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Well if we were “concerned” about back court depth for the WBB, this doesn’t help. Allie Carrion is not listed on the 21-22 roster. With Trpcic gone and Campbell recovering, I guess we’ll see a bunch of Hall initiating the offense. And some of the freshman are going to need to step up and provide valuable minutes.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yikes...Coach Les has said, "Never let your team be lacking guards," bit I'm sure Jen has it covered. One of the new recruits, Marley Langi, a 6 foot wing could be very, very good.
  • BlueGoldAg
    She transferred to Point Loma University in San Diego which is her hometown:

xc1yz5g2tcnmis9x.png
  • BlueGoldAg
    I just noticed a new player on the men's roster:

Patrick Lambey 6'5 190 Junior Forward out of Granite Bay HS and Yuba College.

• Oldbanduhalum
    If I remember correctly, Carrion originally committed to the beach (I think) then flipped to us. Seems like she would have been in line for some significant time here, but I hope she finds what she's looking for closer to home. Agree about Langi's potential. I watched a few minutes of video and it looks like she can create off the dribble, which is something i think the Ags are missing. We run a good solid offense, but against a top tier team, we sometimes need a player to just go out there and create a shot. Turner can do that, but at 5'8", she's somewhat limited.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Regarding Lambey, always good to add a wing with good size that can shoot the 3. I'm a little cautious to hope for too much from a JC transfer this late in the process, but we'll see what he can provide.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    In case you’re interested in watching basketball players not playing basketball.

• BlueGoldAg
    Wow...what an interesting team building film. The program looks like it has boot camp like elements to it without the all the machismo and shouting. Les is big on building a shared team culture where his players set examples for each other hold each other accountable in a good way.
  • DrMike
    nice to see Hawkins honored. He was a key in changing the direction of the program. He wasn’t at football game the next night; glad he was able to attend the induction
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!