• BlueGoldAg
    Quotes from Hawk:

“This was a big win, obviously, but I don’t know where it ranks because there have been so many spectacular wins throughout UC Davis history,” said Aggie head coach Dan Hawkins.

“We just have to keep making progress and one of the great things tonight were all the people who came in and contributed. We just wanted to hang in there until the end. We told the guys this would be a 12-round fight and it was.”

“We have 100% confidence in Miles,” Hawkins said. “He is always well-prepared, and it actually threw a bit of a curveball because his style is a little bit different than Hunter’s. That was a very big catch by Carson to keep the drive alive.”

Hawkins noted that Rodrigues had been “dinged up a bit” but is expected to be fine.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/uc-davis-improves-to-4-0-beats-weber-state/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=c306e7a1ad-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-c306e7a1ad-171004309
  • 69aggie
    So, I gather no concussion? If there was, isn’t he required to sit out a game? Totally a medical decision by the team doctor.
  • DrMike
    I don’t think there is a requirement to sit any specific time. Have to clear medical
  • 69aggie
    Great news. HR is a tough gamer. Hope he clears medical.
  • Zander
    Just noticed that the 49ers ended the half with Lance running a very similar Wildcat play to TT's game winner. Also, Oregon State was putting in a linebacker at QB to run TDs in the red zone late last night vs USC.

I know it's recency bias but this weekend has really made me feel like it's almost unbeatable to get a yard or two out of the 'cat if the guy taking snaps is athletic enough. At the same time, I'm conscious that back when CJ was running it a few years ago the results were very mixed
  • AggieFinn
    Full Playback, thanks to Wally the Bronco Too - audio is a bit choppy at the start of the video, let it play out.
  • Riveraggie
    It helps to have blockers
  • Zander
    Didn't thank you for your writeup on the Wildcat and sweep motions earlier, it was really informative!
  • Riveraggie
    The main advantage of the wildcat is that there are no spectators, like the QB usually is on a running play. So it’s a way to get more blockers than defenders at the point of attack.
    Didn’t work so well with CJ but Biggs went with it to begin with with April because we had no short yardage run capability, because our line wasn’t physical.
  • NCagalum
    One we may have got a break on was offensive PI on swing to Davis that wiped out first down and out them back at the 10. That set up the last drive, correct? I believe the rule is blocking is okay is pass is behind the line?

Correct. Cannot block if pass is caught line of scrimmage or beyond. This was the exact same situation that negated a touchdown on a swing pass to Tehran Thomas 2019 at North Dakota State. Thomas was about 1/2 yard beyond line. Critical call
  • AggieFinn
    Anyone notice at 2:02:24, that knocked down pass saved a Weber Pick 6? The things that happen to win a ball game.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    we re-watched that last drive and noticed the same thing. Definitely an ill-advised throw and a fortuitous tip
  • NCagalum
    Saw that near pick too. And if the pass had got past the lineman, a defender had a bead for a pick. Hastings played well off the bench, but I don’t think there was any way HR would have been yanked if not hurt. HR is definitely a better scrambler ( with acknowledged risk of injury) and I think is a nimbler handler of ball in the current offensive scheme. Would have to slightly adjust offense for Hastings. HR did throw a few errant passes but Weber coverage was good and there were not many open opportunities. Interesting how a maybe sub par game leads to a QB “controversy”.
  • NCagalum
    Re-watched the “controversial swing pass for Weber that got called back for offensive PI. The receiver caught the ball about 1/2 yard past line of scrimmage so call was correct. The announcers said that he was way behind the li
    E of scrimmage but I think they either confused the line of scrimmage marker with first down marker or thought the rule was position of receiver when the pass was released be the QB. Roughing the passer call on Weber was ticky-tack. Late PI on Weber in end zone was an example of how these calls are seemingly made these days with most balls “deemed catchable” if the receiver is noticeably impeded. Have wondered about that trend but hard to prove a negative I guess.
  • DrMike
    I don’t think I would conclude no concussion. His head hit the turf pretty hard. Seemed woozy on the sideline and his father was sitting behind him the rest of the game
  • Riveraggie
    i may have missed it but I don’t think we have had people express that Hastings should start over a healthy HR. I think some have made the observation, with some evidence, that HRs accuracy was not at its usual level as the game progressed. My personal opinion is that It wasn’t just hitting his head on the turf that caused whatever physical symptoms he experienced, but the combined result of a lot of hits he took in the game. Just a bit earlier he was knocked out of bounds in a way you would expect to cause whiplash. I even think that had he been fresher his head wouldn’t have hit the turf on that dive. I think he was trying 100% with an empty tank.
  • AggieFinn
    Think it's safe to say that Weber State has the toughest FCS defense that Davis will face all regular season.
  • movielover
    Idaho talk show guys think this Sat game is our toughest until EWU.
  • quadshock
    Wait blocking in general is not allowed if the ball was received past the line of scrimmage? I seriously didn't know
  • NCagalum
    I agree with aggiefinn - Weber state has the toughest defense the Ags will face. Have not looked at Idaho boards but it seems from the reporting here that some appear to be sniffing glue. That doesn’t mean unexpected things cannot or won’t happen on Saturday.
  • NCagalum
    the only case I have seen it called was when a running back receives a screen or swing pass and doesn’t catch it until past the line of scrimmage and there is a blocker in the area impeding a defender. I didn’t know about this rule until the 2019 game in Fargo that I attended. At that game they threw a flag when Tehran Thomas caught a screen pass just past the line of scrimmage and a lineman was engaged with a defender. In that game the flag for offensive PI was picked up and it was explained that the runner caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage, but then then NDSU protested and upon video review it was found that TT was just beyond the LOS when he received the ball. That resulted in a TD being called back.
  • Riveraggie
    The Idaho fans talking about our schedule were looking forward, they feel our schedule to this point was the toughest in the conference, they have a lot of respect for Weber.
    They have little respect for the teams we face before EWU They don’t know about Idaho due to schedule
  • AggieFinn
    I will add that NAU went to Tucson and beat Arizona this season. Is that a fluke? Are the Wildcats, on their current losing streak, really that bad? Don't know, but NAU has always attracted talent and have given Davis some losses and some tough games too. Sac is no slouch, and of course EWU will be looking to drop 80 on us as always.
  • Riveraggie
    Bottom line is that based on all 2021 performances only Cal Poly appears at this point to not to be a threat. Even Northern Colorado beat Northern Arizona.
  • NCagalum
    Who’d have thunk in the not too distant past that the Ags would have 2 wins with only 19 and 17 points in an entire season let alone 2 of 4 games. Defense and special teams, particularly punting and turnovers are very key ingredients are what win you the close ones and make more special seasons. In part, a more ball control type of offense oftentimes helps the defense.
  • Riveraggie

Right . On that pass interference call on the screen pass the game broadcast team, particularly the play by play guy seemed to be focusing on whether the block occurred behind the line is scrimmage; that’s beside the issue. The line of scrimmage relevance relates to whether the pass crossed the line of scrimmage. If it does then the offensive pass interference rule applies. The receiving team can’t impede defenders from defending the pass, same whether behind the line of scrimmage or not. The defender knew it was illegal immediately because he pointed at the offensive player who interfered.
  • NCagalum
    Thought Jay Hill’s comments were classy, i.e., no excuses. He hit the nail on the head with turnover margin (their’s season to date) being a big factor. You could see the frustration in his face.
  • Riveraggie
    But they make too big a deal out of the fumble on 4th and 6. The fumble didn’t cost them more than a yard. Not really a turnover, other than a turnover on downs
  • NCagalum
    that was not on the clip I saw, but yes, the fumble was on 4th down and the play was going nowhere so no practical difference.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!