• DavisAggie
    Barriere, on the ground
    2018: 44/game, 6.2 per carry
    2019: 47/g, 4.7
    2020: 21/g, 2.8
    2021: 18/g, 2.4

clearly not as mobile as he was
  • Riveraggie
    Maybe just scrambling instead of running.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This is a monster game for the Ags and, even if Barriere's yards per carry are down, we all know he can torch defenses through the air and with his legs. I'm not sure how well we'll be able to contain him. He's so athletic and can turn a near sack into long run with his scrambling ability.
  • cmt
    Could also be that he's more comfortable in the pocket now and is going through his progressions more so he doesn't feel the need to take off at the first sign of trouble.

I don't know if either thought is correct, just throwing out a potential alternative reason as to why the rushing numbers have declined.
  • CA Forever
    Eastern coming off a 2 game losing streak is going to be very desperate to put one in the W column. I don't know if the defense is up to this task or not. My gut says no, but I am hoping that I am wrong.
  • DavisAggie
    He's so athletic and can turn a near sack into long run with his scrambling ability. the numbers show this is declining
    Maybe just scrambling instead of running. it's the same stat, a scramble is a rush

one theory--injuries have built up over time
  • Riveraggie
    I mean avoiding a sack and not crossing the line of scrimmage and throwing to receivers that become open. I’ve watched maybe a few quarters and he’s done this.
    A scramble is when a quarterback runs in any direction to avoid a sack. Its not synonymous with a rush if he eventually throws the ball. Twentieth century pro quarterbacks often scrambled but rarely ran.
  • movielover
    And possibly D Coordinators spend all summer devising schemes for him, add a spy, etc. Plenty of tape now.
  • DrMike
    I think Barriere has really become a better quarterback over the year, and it seems like EWU has made an effort to make him a complete QB. That being said, if they need him to run to win out, they might turn him loose.
  • AggieFinn
    Alright, so Dad and I will be there for the Miracle Game reunion. Looking forward to this one, can the Aggies rally around the crowd and get their first ever win vs. Eastern? Now would be a good time to turn the page.
  • zythe
    EWU = BAD BLOOD!!!!!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I hope the team has a long memory of our recent loses against EWU and that they come out with a 100% determination and focus.
  • NCagalum
    Agree. He has just “matured” as a QB. Biggest stat in MSU game 3-13 3rd down conversions for EWU. MSU had 200+ more yards than EWU and almost 300 rushing yards. I think TOP is a valid stat with a Barriere led offense (keep away) and MSU had 50% more - due to rushing attack and 78 vs 64 plays. So a win by MSU despite losing the turnover battle (-2).

More plays and TOP for Weber too. For both EWU losses, passing yards were way down from “usual” Barriere numbers. EWU lost turnover margin in Weber game (-1). Also Weber 4-4 fourth down conversions. I do think the Ags are going to have to mix it up on offense as with most of NAU game. Ags are much different than Montana State in offensive scheme. Won’t be able to just totally pound the rock to keep it away from Barriere. Although if ahead and can wear them down in 4th quarter that would be a normal strategy.
  • AggieFinn

Gilliam needs to have a monster game.

If I were EWU, the plan would be to stop Gilliam and make Hastings beat me, thirsty for turnover opportunities.
  • movielover
    I bet that was part of NAU's plan.
  • AggieFinn

NAU is not EWU, and let's be frank, Eastern has thoroughly beaten Davis for over a decade. It's promising that Davis has been competitive with the Eagles in recent years, so they're going to have to play inspired football to get over the hump. It's unfortunate EWU is coming in off a disappointing loss to a highly ranked team. Expecting a serious amount of focus from them coming in.

As a fictional coach once said, "...because it's not what you do, g'dammit, it's how you do it!"

img_2058.jpg?w=940&h=646
  • movielover
    No doubt we have a major challenge, but 8-1 is terrific. It seems our lines are again key, going downfield adds a dimension.

Two big games. Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    The game plan for spring was run-centric. 42 carries for 218 yards, so 5.2 yards/carry without Ulonzo. They ran 20 more plays than us, so we weren’t able to keep the ball away from them. If memory serves, we tried a fourth and goal early, and we’re stopped - we HAVE to get points every time down there, TDs if possible. A turnover or two should would help!
  • 69aggie
    We will be the underdog for this game. I like that a lot!
  • CA Forever
    Massey currently giving the Aggies a 41% chance of winning
  • Riveraggie
    That probably equates to between a.field goal and a touchdown spread. Should be competitive.
    More than that forecast, the history of the series is what worries me. But there has to be a first time for everything.
  • CA Forever
    Yep, EWU has our number. I'll pretty much always predict a loss until they prove me wrong.
  • agalum
    Lots of chatter on the EW board about their defense playing well but their offense being flat the second half of the season. They're also not happy with play calling. There are comments that Barriere is sliding at the first hint of contact instead of going for it. Regardless, hopefully we saved our best for the last two games.
  • movielover

We battled in the playoffs 2 years ago, at EWU?
  • agalum

Yes. I actually went to the regular season game where we got clobbered. I seriously doubt i would go back. The field is terrible to look at, really cold with no heating stations, and the fan interaction we had was not welcoming to put it mildly. This week the highs are in the 40s, lows in the 20s. Glad we have them at home.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I thought the blue field at Boise State was ugly but that red carpet is 100x worse! I really hope we don't have to go to EWU for a playoff game ever again.
  • Riveraggie
    Three years ago. That was where Tehran Thomas got hurt near the goal line. I guess that injury led to the end of his career, eventually. He wasn’t as good coming back playing at a lighter weight.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I remember him getting injured. He took an extremely violent hit. I'm not sure anyone would be the same after getting a concussion like that.
  • agalum

He had several fractured ribs. Real nice young man, i had a chance to visit with him a few times at the athletics tailgate. And his grandma sat below our box seats. She flew in from Phoenix for each game. Very nice and supportive family.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    How was the fan interaction? More than just trash talk?
  • 69aggie
    Just a comment here. Looking at the pictures of MH throwing the ball it looks like he does not need the seems to
    Throw the ball. I thought that was a TT thing?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!