• lucche
    Put the pressure on EB from the right side forcing him to run left. This cuts his field to throw into by at least 50 percent. It is hard for a rightly to throw back to his right while running left. If he makes such a throw he risks throwing a duck. You must contain him so he cannot run back to his right side.
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t know how our defense is categorized, the 3-4 4-3 distinction is blurred these days. We usually have three down linemen and a standup Rush (Eaton). I don’t know how often Eaton drops back in coverage but it is small. In the game notes the Rush position lists Eaton who is listed as a linebacker along with Peacock, who is listed as a defensive linemen. I wonder what “ room” the rush players meet in. I guess outside linebackers, coached by the DC but I don’t know.. We play five defensive backs a lot.So are we 3-4, 4-3, or 3-3-5?
    Which is a long way of saying we usually rush at least four and blitz often.
  • rivercat
    Cat Griz is THE biggest annual sports event in Montana. We are 2 states away from the closest major pro sports teams so the universities take top spot. If you don't live in Bozeman or Missoula, there is about a 50/50 chance that your neighbor will be rooting for the other team. It is the noisiest per capita sports event you will ever go to.

I've seen tickets being advertised for $900 resale for this years contest. Add to the normal hype, both teams should be top 10 and there is talk that ESPN's College Game Day may choose to broadcast from Missoula that weekend. I've lived in Bozeman for 37 years and always make the Cat Griz when it's here. I need to make it to a game in Missoula at some point in my life. They have a great stadium. MSU's stadium is decent but it is the product of 3 separate constructions and is not what I would call cohesive. It seats 17,777 but the attendance average for the year is just under 20K because of additional standing room only tickets sold. Tickets for this years' Cat Griz are sold out of course and attendance at Wa-Griz will be over seating capacity and approaching 27K.

MSU has really exploded as has Bozeman and many places in MT. We have an extraordinary U president that most of the credit goes to. As for UM, they seem to have stabilized their enrollment decline that occurred the past decade. I tend to delight in the misfortunes of UM (losing 16 years in a row to them can do that) but I think the state is better when both U's are strong.

I will be cheering for the Aggies on Saturday. I don't understand EWU's need to roll up the score on teams. Maybe it's because their offense is predicated on tempo and flow and if you can't stop them, that results in blowouts. So, get them in third and long, contain and pressure EB3, and don't let him scramble for a first down. Simple, right?

Win the next 2 and I could see a top 4 seed. That loss to ISU is a real head shaker and may be a sticking point.
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Davis Enterprise:

No. 4 UC Davis Prepares for Gridiron Grudge Match with No. 8 Eastern Washington by Bob Dunning

“To be in this position in November is what every team shoots for. Our success at this point is due to a lot of hard work and dedication, including all the staff people who support us.”

To that end Hawkins brought along UCD video coordinator and technical operations guru Tim Ornelas, heaping high praise on a man who started out as a volunteer in 2013.

“Tim is the gold standard, not just in our conference, but on the entire West Coast,” Hawkins noted. “He’s always there, ahead of schedule, puts in long hours and is invaluable to our program. We are a championship program because of people like Tim.”

Ornelas explained that his job is to coordinate film for “practices, games, fall camp and anything that will help us evaluate what we’re doing. I got my foot in the door as a volunteer and it led to this, which is just awesome.”

Hawkins also introduced tight end Garren O’Keefe, who prepped at Colfax High. O’Keefe, who said he always knew he would one day be an Aggie because of the academics and as well as football, caught a touchdown pass from Miles Hastings that gave the Aggies an insurmountable lead in last Saturday’s game at Northern Arizona.

“He’s one of the reasons we talk about Aggie Pride,” said Hawkins of O’Keefe. “He was a super athlete at Colfax and it’s great to have him here.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/no-4-uc-davis-prepares-for-gridiron-grudge-match-with-no-8-eastern-washington/
  • CA Forever
    EWU's offensive coordinator has resigned. Former UCD wide receivers coach and current EWU wide receivers coach, Pat McCann, will take over as interim offensive coordinator.

https://goeags.com/news/2021/11/9/football-ian-shoemaker-resigns-as-offensive-coordinator.aspx
  • BlueGoldAg
    EWU loses two close games and Best fires his OC. Why am I not surprised? Best likes to run up the score if he has a chance and we've been on the receiving end of that in the past. It would be a thing of beauty if we can add to his misery this Saturday.
  • Riveraggie
    Pat McCann called plays for Northern Iowa when they played UCD in 2018
  • BlueGoldAg
    I thought McCann was a great coach for us when he was here. I was sorry to see him leave.
  • AggieFinn
    I'm jacked for this game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    You and I hope about 10,000 more Aggie fans at least!
  • agalum

I'm jacked for this game.

I’ve been nervous all week. One game at a time, but both of these games are huge. I’m bummed I’ll be traveling for the causeway, but hopefully i can stream the radio broadcast on my phone.
    And looking forward to seeing you Finn and your pop.
  • CA Forever
    I'm excited for this game it has huge implications for the post season. Unfortunately, I am still predicting a loss. Over the seasons we just haven't been able to figure out EWU. I hope the boys go out there and prove me wrong!
  • agalum

Yeah, its hard for me to be confident. But, if O line is healthy and we dont turn it over, who knows?
  • NCagalum
    Maybe Best should have benched Barriere instead of firing the O coordinator. I am sure he “resigned” as an alternative to getting fired. Pretty sure Best is striking out at anything for an excuse (except personal reflection of course).
  • DavisAggie
    I am confident in a Davis win this Saturday. This team is better than the Spring team and I think EWU has some issues against competent defenses
  • CA Forever
    You're certainly a more confident fan than me! I just don't think we've faced a truly good offense this season and I'm not sure our offense keeps pace.

Like I said though, I really hope the boys prove me wrong! I would absolutely love to be wrong in this situation.
  • movielover
    How much credit does Coach Tucker get for increasing the size of our interior linemen?
  • Riveraggie
    I agree with DavisAggie that this team is better than in past games and I don’t think the same is true if Eastern Washington.
    However I would be more confident if we had stopped NAU when they had their first string QB in.
  • CA Forever
    I guess my concern is that the EWU struggles are somewhat of a false flag. The last 2 weeks they play 2 of the toughest defenses in the Big Sky and MSU specifically might have one of the best defenses in all of FCS. EWU still only lost by 3 to them. The 2 weeks before the losses they dropped 71 on Idaho and 63 on Northern Colorado. I just worry because our defense hasn't been tested by a particularly potent offense all season.
  • 69aggie
    My biggest worry with the NAU game was that we would look past them to EW which would have been very easy to do and we avoided that. I don’t think the so-called spy thing would work with The EW qb as he too agile one on one. Best to contain him mostly from the right but on both sides and don’t hesitate to blitz. I have good feelings for this game. MH is getting better by the day.
  • agalum

I guess my concern is that the EWU struggles are somewhat of a false flag. The last 2 weeks they play 2 of the toughest defenses in the Big Sky and MSU specifically might have one of the best defenses in all of FCS. EWU still only lost by 3 to them. The 2 weeks before the losses they dropped 71 on Idaho and 63 on Northern Colorado. I just worry because our defense hasn't been tested by a particularly potent offense all season.

And add to that the fact we historically struggle with mobile QBs. EB3 is one of the best. He really torched us at the end of the playoff game with about a 60 run. Our offense is going to have to move the ball and score when in the red zone.
  • agalum
    https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bobs-picks-teams-scratching-for-wins/

“ AGGIES over EASTERN WASHINGTON … in what is shaping up as the most-anticipated battle ever on Sochor Field, the UC Davis defense will be tested to the max by the best quarterback in FCS football, Eric Barriere. Take the Ags by 1.”
  • NCagalum
    I think Montana State’s 4 down defensive line alignment - I believe their normal defense plus having a fast stud in Troy Anderson at middle backer really messed with EWU and Barriere.

Frazier (backup safety) seemed to have good wheels on him when blitzing the NAU quarterback. But as riveraggie said, the Ags did not contain the NAU quarterback. I think you have a better chance of containment with four down lineman but don’t think that will be an option with the current defensive schemes.
  • DrMike
    I thought the defense was improving on containment after the first couple drives. It’s one thing to practice vs scout team, another to see it at full speed. Hopefully, that experience helps this week.
  • Riveraggie
    On Martinez’s (edit) TD scamper, two rushers missed him and their momentum took them 5 yards behind him and then he took off; pass rush has to be more controlled. Rushers can’t be thinking sacks, think hurries and containment.
    I don’t know why Frazier got more playing time. He’s had an interesting career so far. He was featured in an article spring of 2020 following his pick six in the end zone against Sac in 2019, a game he started as a linebacker. Then didn’t play at all in spring 2020.
    https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/3/2/football-winter-ball-spotlight-da-von-frazier.aspx
  • movielover
    Young DC Matt Combs has a test, a big step up from defensive analyst.

Recruits in town Sat?
  • DrMike
    I wonder what the student turnout will be? Yesterday was a holiday for them? And many don’t have Friday classes. Might be a little sparse
  • NCagalum
    I think you meant Martinez? Yes I noticed that too-sailing past the QB-can’t do that with Barriere or he’ll just pack it up the gut. Hopefully plenty of time to learn and prepare - keep him in pocket with some pressure I think is the key.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawkins on Barriere and EWU:

Dan Hawkins says Eastern Washington quarterback Eric Barriere may well be the most productive football player in the
    country at any level.

“He’s the best player in the FCS and maybe all of college football,” said the UC Davis head coach. “He’s arguably the best player I’ve ever coached against, and I’ve coached against five Heisman Trophy winners. He’s super explosive and throws a very accurate pass. He’s also a gifted, gifted runner and is tough to handle.”

“They have been the gold standard in our conference for a long time,” Hawkins added. “They always are at or near the top and they have won a national championship. It will be a challenge to try to stay with them. If you beat them, it will be close.”

“Our guys continue to show up and work hard,” he said. “They’re obviously mindful that this is a momentous game for us, but I still think we haven’t played our best football yet. We just have to figure out a way to slow down their offense and somehow break serve.”

That task falls to UCD defensive coordinator Matt Coombs, who notes simply, “We’ll have our hands full for sure.”

Added Coombs, “Barriere is as good a player as there is around. You have to be smart if you pressure the passer because he is so elusive and can hurt you with his feet. He’s really smart and great at diagnosing where your coverage is coming from.

“It’s a great challenge, but our guys have worked hard to put themselves in a position to play in these types of games. They’re excited for the opportunity.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies-preparing-for-the-eagles/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!