• NCagalum
    Nothing sacred left in College football…..all about the money … forget rivalries/traditions,etc. The discussion title allusion refers to UCLA. It’s going to be SEC, Big 10 and then all of the rest as a second tier.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/usc-ucla-big-ten-11656623463
  • movielover
    Deadspin: "This is a geographical nightmare. When USC and UCLA don’t play each other, their next closest conference opponent is Nebraska. That’s a tame 1,500-mile trip from Los Angeles to Lincoln. That’s a minimum. Try being Rutgers or Maryland and the yearly cross-country trip for a simple conference game. Please show how it’s best for the players to recover with longer flights and less time to prepare for opponents. New Brunswick, New Jersey to the L.A. Memorial Coliseum is a 5-hour one-way trip and nearly 2,800 miles."
  • abridge
    So now UCLA and USC move to the Big 10. Egad. Will we be dissed yet again?
  • DrMike
    think about basketball where you might play Rutgers on Thursday and Penn State on Saturday. Or baseball? That long travel turns a weekend series into a 4-5 day excursion. Can’t imagine the the non-football coaches are rejoicing over this
  • Russ Bowlus
    Imagine actually trying to get an degree while doing that.
  • NCagalum
    My initial thoughts too.
  • DrMike
    Seems logical the 4 corner teams would join the Big 12, although that conference reloaded after Texas and Oklahoma leave. The Pac-6? Those schools are in a world of hurt.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Stanford Tree twitter account suggested that Stanford move to the Ivy League. :chin:
  • abridge
    No scholarships in the Ivy League, right? Very different sports traditions.
  • abridge
    I wonder if Hawai'i would leave the Big West and move to the Pac 12. I'd think if the Arizona, Utah, CO schools bail then rebrand the conference as, oh say the Pacific Coast Conference (that has a nice ring doesn't it?) and invite Hawai'i.
  • movielover
    Bear fans are going bonkers, no juice, no leverage, and huge facilities debt.

I can't imagine Olympic sports student athletes competing. Zoom U?

Coming west not so hard for eastern schools, one or two trips a year. Murder for SC and UCLA. $$$ for bigger AD, Associated AD, bad Ass ADs?

Would the UC President stop it, to help o Cal? Probably no.

I'm not up to date on the NIL implications, but I read and posted in the OT section the Long Beach Poly 6'6" QB worth $8 Million right now? WTH? Please explain that one. Jersey sales?
  • NCagalum
    I'm not up to date on the NIL implications, but I read and posted in the OT section the Long Beach Poly 6'6" QB worth $8 Million right now? WTH? Please explain that one. Jersey sales?

As I think I mentioned earlier, I am sure there are some very imaginative minds conniving ways to launder money. Alums and boosters provide the dough, an impresario sets up the shell (phony commercial demand) and viola. Gotta think there are going to have to be a lot more ncaa accountants/police to check on outlandish payments for say promoting a local car dealership.
  • movielover
    Might the two super conferences leave the NCAA?
  • Riveraggie
    How things have changed. I was at the Nebraska stadium thirty years ago, and their conference rivals names were cast into the structure of the stadium. Probably Big8 names.
    This is one of those situations where every institution pushing to maximize their income is going to make the total smaller. It has elements of the “tragedy of the commons” where everyone shares a resource but there are no controls. The shared resource is the tradition and history of the sport. All these team realignments erode the traditions that contribute to making college football interesting to fans.
  • Jackbacker2
    River Aggie--You are SPOT ON.!
  • DrMike
    I wish they would create some type of super conference for football and keep the rest of the sports in their ‘normal’ conference alignment.
  • NCagalum
    [The shared resource is the tradition and history of the sport. All these team realignments erode the traditions that contribute to making college football interesting to fans./quote]

Listening to a sportswriter on a Paul Finebaum show said “whenever you look to gain something (in this case the financial aspect) you always give up something” and it was pretty much exactly what you are saying.
  • NCagalum
    Exactly what the commissioner of the West Coast Conference said on Finebaums podcast. Travel could become crazy say In basketball/baseball. And if say (North)Carolina moves out of the ACC in football rivalries like Duke-Carolina could still exist in basketball if the other sports stayed in current conferences.
  • DrMike
    It still seems strange that Oklahoma and Nebraska don’t play. That was a tradition throughout my football viewing days until greed broke it up.
  • Riveraggie
    Nebraska played Oklahoma last year after not playing for 11 years, and they play them again this year. Hard to believe Nebraska could ever be 3-9 like they were last year. An example where changing conferences didn’t help, although they had already slipped a lot.
  • Riveraggie
    Except perhaps he was referring to the teams that gain financially also giving up something. I’m referring to a cost to all schools for something that benefits at least temporarily a few. The big schools moving are analogous to big trawlers overfishing and leaving a poorer resource for everyone in total.
  • 72Aggie
    "Aggies may be playlng a big 10 team in 2027"

...or faced with difficulties scheduling among the 16 teams in the BIg "10" another LA school may back out and pay us to stay home.
  • AggieFinn
    What forced these guys to do this?
  • AggieFinn
    Smack dab in the No. 2 media market in the country, and UCLA/U$C need more money.

How long until Oregon follows suit?

Rich Eisen and crew comment:
  • Toke69
    I just read that the Big 12 might go after Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona and Arizona State. Can there be a Pac-4? or will they try to add BYU, Boise State, Nevada, Hawaii, San Diego State and San Jose State to constitute a diluted Pac-10? Ugh! this is why I prefer the FCS with less emphasis on the big money.
  • DrMike
    BYU is already going to the Big 12
  • NCagalum
    Somewhat interesting discussion about implications of FBS realignment on FBS. Guys from NAU EWU and Idaho along with Sam Herder. At about minute 33:00 discussion of UCD. The Idaho guy provides a vicarious dig (from UCD perspective) at Sac State and both Idaho and EWU guys are very complimentary of UC Davis and it’s position. I kind of said “what?” to myself when the campus was deemed “one of the most beautiful I have ever seen” - but I guess when I was on campus I was worried more about surviving than campus aesthetics. Anyway an outside perspective and a bunch of hypotheticals if you are bored and waiting for the first kickoff in a couple months.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!