• AggieFinn
    Sac's Andy Thompson:
  • AggieFinn
    Here's a long play presentation from Montana Sports on all the Big Sky schools - though I don't think I see any Davis representation:
  • DrMike
    Hauck is a prick
  • Riveraggie
    Mitchell Dixon is now listed as a tight end.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I have often wondered why we don't often get recruits from the transfer portal. So I thought it was interesting that Hawk said that we don't recruit from portal very much because of the academics here. Troy Taylor utilized the the portal to the max in quickly building the Sac program into a FCS power but I'll take our high achieving, smart kids anyday.
  • AggieFinn2
    Montana's outlook is the same every year-sparsely populated and not terribly exciting.
  • AggieFinn2
    Sac State is like a high-end junior college, preparing athletes and coaches to go somewhere else. How long will it be before some school hires Reggie Christiansen away for its baseball program ? I mention Christiansen because one of the A's announcers-think it was Dallas Braden-was just praising him on the A's-Dodgers game.. Dallas Braden looks like a garden gnome to me.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Miles Hastings named to the 2023 Walter Peyton Award watch list.

Quarterbacks

Bret Bushka, Butler, R-Sr., 5-10, 205 (Pioneer Football League)
    Zach Calzada, UIW, Gr., 6-4, 217 (Southland Conference)
    Theo Day, Northern Iowa, R-Sr., 6-5, 231 (Missouri Valley Football Conference)
    Cole Doyle, Saint Francis, R-Jr., 5-10, 170 (Northeast Conference) - 2022 Finalist
    Zevi Eckhaus, Bryant, Jr., 6-1, 205 (Big South-OVC Football Association)
    Mark Gronowski, South Dakota State, Jr., 6-3, 220 (Missouri Valley Football Conference)
    Nolan Grooms, Yale, Sr., 6-2, 188 (Ivy League)
    Miles Hastings, UC Davis, Jr., 6-1, 189 (Big Sky Conference)
    Michael Hiers, Samford, Sr., 6-1, 211 (Southern Conference) - 2022 Finalist
    Gevani McCoy, Idaho, R-So., 6-2, 185 (Big Sky Conference)
    Parker McKinney, Eastern Kentucky, R-Sr., 6-3, 208 (United Athletic Conference) - 2022 Finalist
    Tommy Mellott, Montana State, Jr., 6-0, 209 (Big Sky Conference) - 2022 Finalist
    Justin Miller, Southern Utah, R-Sr., 6-3, 210 (United Athletic Conference)
    Reese Poffenbarger, UAlbany, R-So., 6-0, 210 (CAA Football)
    Davius Richard, North Carolina Central, Sr., 6-3, 215 (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) - 2022 Finalist
    Tommy Schuster, North Dakota, Sr., 6-0, 195 (Missouri Valley Football Conference)
    Matthew Sluka, Holy Cross, Sr., 6-3, 215 (Patriot League) - 2022 Finalist

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2023/8/2/football-miles-hastings-named-to-2023-walter-payton-award-preseason-watch-list.aspx
  • AggieFinn
    I was joking with my brother-in-law, who's a former Bobcat, about the show Yellowstone -- "Man, everything is happening in Montana, ALL THE TIME." He said the show is good entertainment, but the biggest farce when it comes to reality.
  • AggieFinn
    That's a great preview segment! Hope it's a sign of things to come this season from PR and Marketing.
  • Riveraggie
    Yes, like what they did pre pandemic, but i wish they had waited a bit so they had a meaningful comment about the freshman, which is difficult on first day of practice.
    I’d like to hear about newcomers.
    Positions where freshmen might get playing time are receiver, offensive line, running back, and defensive back. Same thing regarding the JC transfers at tight end,,We have some good recruits from 2023 in those spots and they are also positions where we need to replace losses.
  • agalum
    Andy Thompson looks very young. We’ll see if his defensive coaching experience translates to head coach material.
  • DavisAggie
    What an odd video. Hightlights the starting QB and then the true freshman QB, but not the two QB's in between.
  • AggieFinn2
    Perhaps they are less talented ? An exciting freshman but the other reserves are steady but boring ?

I
  • DavisAggie
    Hard to fathom a true freshman leapfrogging the other two. But if so, great.
  • Riveraggie
    [ Maybe but not after the just two days of camp. Harper was a recruited guy, said to have had an offer from Montana State, and was in 3 games last year, totaling 8 completions in nine attempts and a touchdown, he’s got to be number 2. He’s the only one who’s completed a pass. Harper has been around since 2020 same class as Dixon, who they moved to tight end.
  • NCagalum
    Hauck gives pricks a bad name. His true character comes out in press conferences after a loss. Some unbelievably poor ones last year. Even treats his own local press like manure. Guess as long as he wins most of his games, the AD and University leaders don’t care. So glad that Davis has class from coaches to players.
  • NCagalum
    yah, I kind of thought so too. I thought Harper looked good last year when given opportunities. There was a video time constraint evidently and if so you have to pick and choose.
  • 69aggie
    Watching the demise of the PAC-12 is very depressing
    Might seem off thread, but it is not as we play Oregon State this season. And Oregon State will soon be without a conference. As more schools are expected to follow Oregon and washington to leave the PAC12 the future for Oregon State is grim. Growing up in Palo Alto as a kid I went to all the Stanford games and parked cars before the games (got in after the first quarter!) The PAC10 then was a powerhouse conference. I loved it. Now the pac 12 is being reduced to a memory for me. Is this the future for big time college football? It’s apparently going to be all for the TV money, nothing for the fans or for the players. Very sad. I hope Teresa Gould lands in a good spot. I loved her work at davis and I have no doubt she will continue her success. Same for Ron a very good guy.
  • AggieFinn2
    Yeah, that's tough-where would ORST and Stanford even go-the Mountain West ? It's not like they could find enough qualifying schools to join who qualify for FBS football. If football were not involved I'd say Stanford would be a good fit for the WCC. I don't like the idea of UCD getting roped into FBS either.
  • Riveraggie
    I was in Lincoln Nebraska on business 20 years ago, and i wandered over to Memorial Stadium and watched practice. The stadium, which is 100 years old this year, had cast into the structure the names of teams from the Big 8 of 1923. Nebraska isn't in the same conference as any of those teams.
    The conference and school administrators are hurting the product in pursuit of money. It will eventually result in less interest and less money.
  • 69aggie
    Not to be too harsh in this subject, after all we are a capitalist nation, where money is the only thing that matters. But, the Bible says avarice is one of the seven deadly sins and that fraud is the daughter of greed. Seems we are losing our way here. And I sadly believe that it will not end well for college sports in the long run.
  • Riveraggie
    There is an economic/ecological concept called Tragedy of the Commons which describes what happens to a commonly shared resource with no owner. Example are over grazing of a commons or over fishing in the ocean. In college football we see a similar situation. Each conference and each school tries to maximize their individual benefit from the shared resource of fan interest but at the expense of the good of the sport as a whole.
  • movielover
    If the Pac 7 or so adds San Diego State and SMU, and a third, does it survive?

I'm sure the TV value has dropped.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!