• DrMike
    deadline to withdraw his name is May 31. I don’t think his chances of being drafted are very good, but he might get a camp invite. I would expect to see him chasing a career overseas
  • BlueGoldAg
    From what I can find, it looks like we offered Robeson out of high school. He chose Cal over Stanford, Cincinnati, Nebraska, University of Illinois-Chicago, Rice, Loyola Marymount, Santa Barbara, CSUN, Poly, San Diego, and Montana. So it appears that he's one of those "diamonds-in-the-rough" that Les loves to get and give them a chance to prove themselves.
  • AggieFinn2
    I don't read that much into it. There's always some attrition that isn't made public with any sport. To me it just means that the amount of non-seniors from this season coming back is not 100%. Like how baseball only announced three seniors on Senior Day, but there are others (redshirt juniors)who are probably very close to finishing their degrees and are not ready to call it a career but may do so when their circumstances change. I think the door to Pepper coming back isn't closed.
  • DrMike
    we’ll know byThursday if he withdraws his name
  • 88Aggie
    Good HS resume, but a 2nd stringer on a Cal team with 3 wins and a team that we beat, how much can he help us? Unless the prior coach’s system was just awful and this kid was not used in the best way.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Someone over on the Big West Boards Basketball Forum posted this comment regarding Robeson:

If he is 100% recovered from injury, he should be a impact transfer for Davis.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bigwest/2023-transfer-portal-t27307-s160.html
  • Toke69
    I guess I don't understand why Roberson coming is a sign that Pepper is going?
  • Oskidunker
    From a Cal fan. He has a very strange shot that needs to be fixed. Good athlete. Not a three shooter, so far. But Mark Fox was a terrible coach. My guess is he improves but not sure how much.
  • AggieFinn2
    Just counting roster spots and scholarships I imagine, however this assumes everyone who can come back will. Perhaps the coach knows about some attrition we don't. Maybe someone quit the team or transferred to a junior college ? Does the portal show JC transfers ?
  • DrMike
    I was assuming we had 2 spots not counting Peppers. This is our 3rd player in. As others have mentioned, we might have lost someone else
  • SimonM21
    ↪88Aggie
    Someone over on the Big West Boards Basketball Forum posted this comment regarding Robeson:

If he is 100% recovered from injury, he should be a impact transfer for Davis.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bigwest/2023-transfer-portal-t27307-s160.html
    BlueGoldAg
    He will recover. But will he want to go to Davis?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Well not a new recruit, but good news from the Women's Facebook page:

@lenasvanholm was recently accepted into UC Davis’ Ph.D program for Chemistry and Chemical Biology and to make things even better, she’s back for another year!

Assuming she's healthy next season, she will really help our inside game. On a side note, Div 1 basketball and Ph.D. student? Hope she doesn't plan to sleep much.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good news! She's an impressive, young woman.
  • eastbayaggie
    I saw from my Instagram account that Drew Carter was signed. Does anyone know anything about him? He's coming from University of Colorado Boulder.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    yeah just saw that. Interesting signing as you would think there’s not a lot of perimeter minutes available. He’s also a qb. Is he going to try and play two sports at ucd?
  • DrMike
    he was a QB at Colorado. Looks like he was a high school basketball player with interest in joining the BB team there

https://www.buffzone.com/2021/12/15/qb-drew-carter-discusses-his-goals-with-cu-buffs-mens-basketball/amp/
  • BlueGoldAg
    That's an interesting article about Carter trying to play both basketball and football at CU. I wonder if he will try and do the same here? Have we ever had someone who played both football and basketball?
  • 69aggie
    Isn’t it just about impossible to play BB and FB in the same season since the schedule of both sports overlap?
  • movielover
    Mitch Campbell played FB for 2 years before playing hoops. Not concurrent. Same with Clint Bozner and others.

Didn't Mike Moroski play football and baseball?
  • AggieFinn2
    I suppose it would be possible in a situation in which the player is maybe 3rd or lower on the depth chart at some position in football and not a starter in both sports. It would be especially possible if they were say a kicker or punter because they can get plenty of practice and conditioning away from the football team.
  • DrMike
    back in the ‘old’ days a bunch of guys did. From my days. John Lucido and Brian Buckley played. But that was before football spring ball, and the longer baseball schedules.

Football/basketball is possible but there would be trade offs since schedules overlap especially with bowls in FBS. Charlie Ward did it at FSU. Tony Gonzalez at Cal.

https://gridironheroics.com/college-football-players-that-also-played-basketball/
  • 69aggie
    I believe the slater brothers did as well. Alooong time ago!
  • DrMike
    Here is the roster

https://ucdavisaggies.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Are we missing anyone expected to be back ? I’m sure we’ll redshirt one or two
  • 72Aggie

"Didn't Mike Moroski play football and baseball?"

Yes.

Apparently liked to throw the ball. QB in football and pitcher in baseball.

Wayback when....you could find people who played football, basketball and baseball. Longer schedules, more post season games, year-round teams, have made that unlikely anymore.

Easier because he was kicker, and UCD was D-II, but Benirschke played football AND soccer, sometimes on the same day.
  • AggieFinn2
    Yes, Elijah Pepper will redshirt. He came back just for that lol.
  • ARI
    Does anyone know what the story is with Robby Beasley? Did not see him listed on the 2023-2024 roster.
  • DrMike
    uggh…. That wouldn’t be good
  • AggieFinn2
    Beasley was injured for a significant amount of time and limited when he came back if I remember correctly. Perhaps he had off-season surgery and the recovery time is long enough that it would have caused him to miss too much of the 2023-24 season to be wothwhile ? That there seems to be nothing on the internet about him playing for some other school suggests to me he's weighing his options about coming back in 2024-25.

When you hear nothing seems like it's usually HIPAA or discipline-related.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Beasley had a groin injury last season and groin injuries can take a long time to heal properly especially if there was a tear. I hope he isn't gone for good. He was a solid player for the Aggies.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!