• CA Forever
    With week 1 in the books, the Aggies head back to Brookings for a revenge game from last seasons playoffs against the South Dakota State Jackrabbits. The Jackrabbits had a very unusual first game of the season, losing to the Iowa Hawkeyes 7-3 in a defensive battle that included 2 safeties for Iowa.

The Jackrabbits amassed just 120 yards of offense against the Hawkeyes. In the passing game, SDSU has replaced QB Chris Oladokun with QB Mark Gronowski who completed 10/26 for 87 yards with no passing TDs or INTs and was sacked 4 times. RB Isaiah Davis led the charge on the ground with 57 yards on 18 attempts, BUT DO NOT BE FOOLED, this was the kid that torched us for over 200 rushing yards in the playoff game and was averaging near 15 yards per carry. We simply did not have an answer for him defensively. Davis was additionally SDSU's leading receiver for receptions and yards against the Hawkeyes.

Defensively, the Jackrabbits held Iowa to 166 yards (109 passing, 57 rushing) and no touchdowns. Not only were they really limiting what the Hawkeyes could do offensively, they also manage to force 2 turnovers (1 INT and 1 fumble recovery). LB Adam Bock was the star of the defense with 13 total tackles with 1 forced fumble and 1 fumble recovery.

P/K Hunter Dustman had a busy day with 11 punts for 457 yards, 2 of which went for 50+ yards. Dustman was also responsible for SDSU's only points of the day on a 44 yard field goal.

All in all, I think that we have a very difficult game on our hands here. They play a bruising game and have the potential to really break down opponents with power. The Jackrabbits held Iowa to just 3 offensive points and we personally know what kind of damage their run game is capable of doing when it really gets going. This one is going to come down to if our defensive line and linebackers can prevent their run game from consistently getting to the 2nd level and if Miles Hastings can limit turnovers.
  • agalum
    I don’t see a link to watch this game on our schedule. The jacks have it as a pay to watch event. Any other options to watch it?
  • CA Forever
    ESPN says it will be on ESPN+
  • NCagalum
    it will be on ESPN+. The gojacks link would be the same feed I am sure. It doesn’t launch to ESPN +, but if it is their own PPV you’d be better off signing up for a month of ESPN+. It has gone up to $10 or so a month but we’ll worth it if you are a college football junkie like me, especially if you want to check out other big sky and FBS teams.
  • agalum
    Ok, thanks fellas. I have espn+, so should be covered. I’m traveling next week so might be watching it on my ipad. Too bad our web master doesn’t have this on the UC Davis site.
  • CA Forever
    I think that this game is a big litmus test for the Aggies and how this season is going to go. If we want this team to be a playoff team we have to be able to beat the best. Now I'm expecting a loss here, but there's a big difference between a close loss or a loss like ours in the playoffs last time we played.
  • Jackedforlife
    Jacks fan returning again…evening game in Brookings and the weather looks to be fair, in the 60s dropping as the sun sets.

Jacks more so shot themselves in the foot at Iowa. Big question is health. I expect our #1 TE(Kraft) to be out. Fortunately for us #2(Heins) is also very good and getting draft buzz as well. The offense will be coming into this game with a big chip on their shoulder. Everyone has this Offense as the most loaded they’ve ever been and honestly they spit the bit.

The Defense on the other hand was outstanding and looking to prove that they are not just a one hit wonder.

Special teams had a shaky start but settled in well and finished admirably.

If any fans make the trek to Brookings pm me and I’ll give some recommendations on what else the area has to offer.

http://sdsufans.com/board/index.php

Search both Jackrabbit Illustrated and Matt Zimmer on Twitter

https://jackrabbitillustrated.com/

Facebook, Jackrabbit Illustrated will run a podcast tonight, 9/5 at 6pm pacific time if any are interested.
  • agalum

Thanks for stopping by and for the preview!
  • AggieFinn2
    South Dakota State will win by 4 points.
  • movielover
    Maae and Toki should be fresh.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    SDSU wins by ten but a close game. They then beat USD.
  • cmt
    South Dakota St by 3 TDs.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I wonder if the Aggies are having any early morning practices during this unbelievably scorching heatwave this week? It was 115 in Sacramento yesterday!
  • CA Forever
    I'm with you. I don't think this will be a particularly close game. Our offense is suspect as hell and they just held IOWA to 7 points and 160 yards.
  • Riveraggie
    You guys think we’ve improved that much or that they’ve declined?
  • cmt
    LOL. I didn't want to be too pessimistic with my prediction.

Maybe I should have said SDST by 21+.
  • CA Forever
    lol well now they only have Isaiah Davis with Pierre Strong moving on to the NFL so they should only have 1 RB putting up 200 yards instead of 2.
  • movielover
    Get LL and Babbs more touches!

Suggestion on new Wildcat QB - Gunnor Faulk. (TT surprise element long gone.)
  • Jackedforlife
    Nor sure if either team has hit any decline. I’d say both are improved, experienced, rested(off season). I expect a Jacks win. But close most of the game. Unless one team becomes one dimensional due to the other teams D, then it could get ugly.
  • AggieFinn
    South Dakota State @ Iowa highlights from last weekend:

• 72Aggie
    I am not sure just how much that Iowa game tells anyone about the Jackrabbits or the Hawkeyes. Both offenses struggled. Iowa was particularly bad on the day... (as an Iowa fan I certainly hope that was a particularly bad showing.)
  • DrMike
    They practice in the mornings. That being said, just dealing with this heat on the day to day basis, even for young kids, can zap you a little. I'm sure they are looking forward to getting up North on Friday for cooler climate.
  • AggieFinn
    Looks like Brookings had its high temperature spike this week as well, high of 93 on Thursday for them, but on Saturday, forecast is a high of 71, and the humdity at 53%. Air will be a bit more thick, but the temps are manageable. 20% chance of rain right now for Saturday.
  • Jackedforlife
    As of right now daytime only showers possible in Brookings with a clear night. Likely a beautiful fall night, with mid 60s temps at kickoff dropping into the mid 50s by the end of the game.

But as we say up here, if you don’t like the weather wait 5 minutes.
  • NCagalum
    If the Aggies are to have a reasonable chance of winning, I think there are some keys:

- got to improve on yards per passes. This has been meager since midway of last year.
    -I think Gilliam is going to carry the team on his back. He seems to be the one offensive weapon that is consistent.
    -Get pressure on QB. This will take pressure off of DBs
    - take care of the ball. No more than 1 turnover.
    - special teams - improve on both punt distance, and maybe more importantly on height - and don’t miss extra points! And kick the ball into end zone. We know now how much of a weapon Whelan was. We lost the field position battle at Cal.

I think SDSU offense was limited last Saturday by a few factors; loss of Pierre Strong (that guy was something), new offensive coordinator, and Gronowski not having live game experience for quite some time. Of course iowas defense looks to be very good and their punter is something else.

But heck - what do I know. The only think I feel relatively confident of is that it won’t be as bad as last time, and I think run defense will be better (couldn’t be much worse than last time in Brookings).
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bob Dunning picks the Ags by 4:

AGGIES over SOUTH DAKOTA STATE … Dan Hawkins says this is the best team ever to wear the Blue and Gold. This would be an excellent place to start a playoff run, but it won’t be easy. Take the Ags by 4.[/quote

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bobs-picks-is-chip-kelly-going-to-suit-up/]
  • Riveraggie
    We had a few surprise starters on defense. Noa Masui, Evan Bearden, Rex Connors. Either the first game or close to it for those guys. Also I wouldn’t have predicted Smalley to start; I think that was his first start. Connors had an impressive number of tackles. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of those guys not starting this game.
  • movielover
    Maybe we bring in our stout NGs? Great to see the DL depth.

I'd hope we'd bring in Lance Babbs earlier, a pass in the flats or a dump off. Get him a few touches for rhythm and confidence.

Highlights of the SDSU vs Iowa game. Brutal.

https://youtu.be/zPejgjoQqlo
  • movielover
    New Hawkins postgame interview, short. He says we have 4 D lineman in the rotation that didn't play.

https://youtu.be/glnF8W72XFY
  • Riveraggie
    Maae (who played a little), Ambagtsheer, Suani and Toki. And no one asked their status.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!