• Russ Bowlus
    Game preview is up: https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/3/3/womens-basketball-aggies-head-to-the-islands-for-season-finales.aspx

Hope the Aggies can close out the regular season with a pair of wins!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Neat thing from the game notes: four of the starting five Aggies are averaging double figures in scoring (and Trpcic is almost there at 9.7ppg).
  • Russ Bowlus

Nice little hype video to tide us over til late Friday...
  • Zander
    It's funny to think about how every minute that ticks by makes UCD's odds of the championship and one seed go up. This is a very weird season.

Email from Coach Abeyta today mentions the title on the line but has a very peculiar wording:
    "The Ags are prepped for the Wahine's aggressive Man-to-Man defense as they fight to keep their favorable seeding heading into next week's tournament play."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seems UCD is being very cautious in talking about potential outcomes. I haven't seen an official statement mention a title being possible until today, and the quote above is weirdly vague for a team that should be top-two seeded regardless if we understand the conference formulas right. Maybe the department has just completely decided to let the BWC announce the results and not do the math for us.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Both teams jacking the ball up like crazy and neither team making a lot of shots so far: a collective 5-23. 4-9 Hawaii at the 1Q media TO.
  • Russ Bowlus
    12-19 Hawaii after 1. Offense has some work to do! Sage with two blocks already on D.
  • Zander
    Was that... our worst quarter of the season we just saw?

...in the most important game of the season where rust is no longer any sort of excuse?
  • Zander
    To be clear I think the team can recover and there were some upsides but man this is disappointing
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags are lucky to only be down 7 after probably their most discombobulated quarter of basketball so far this season...airballs and awkward shots...rushing everything and getting out rebounded. They need to settle down big time...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    We look asleep right now
  • Russ Bowlus
    ...except for Sage. Good grief--three more blocks in quick succession.
  • Zander
    This is painful to watch
  • Russ Bowlus
    Hawaii isn't actually shooting all that well or even getting a ton of 2nd chance points--they just have 12 more shots than Davis at the moment!
  • Zander
    At this level of play against a mid-table team we don't deserve a conference title tbh
  • cmt
    Finally got the live stream to work so if things change from here on, it's because of me.
  • Russ Bowlus
    25-34 Hawaii at the half. Aggies clawed back some of the difference right at the end, but the offense really needs to get going if they are going to pull out the win.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags simply got outplayed. Hawaii came out aggressive on defense and got the Ags rattled into shooting airballs and forcing poor passes. We didn't get a whole lot of open looks especially from 3 and, when we did, we were't even close for the most part. If Hawaii continues to drain their 3's...we're in trouble...
  • cmt
    I barely watched any of the half but based on the stats, that seems like an "everything went wrong" half. Hawaii had 9 offensive boards early second quarter, we shot 33% from the field and 20% from 3, and had three more turnovers.

Glad they got it to single digits by the end of the half. Still think we'll win but we're going to have to work for it.
  • Zander
    UCI won tonight so there are exactly six quarters left to try and claim the 1-seed (barring mass cancellations tomorrow).

If the Ags start lighting it up from 3 we have this, I'm just not sure that will happen. Honestly the last few UCD games didn't show any spectacular offense, it's just that Hawaii is finally an opponent that's had enough of their own offensive explosion to capitalize.
  • Zander
    Some life with a good three from Hall and then back to disappointment
  • Russ Bowlus
    Sage up to 7 blocks now...
  • cmt
    Offense seems to be picking it up. Defense doing better too.

We got this.
  • Zander
    Got it to within 3 once but Hawaii is hanging on
  • Russ Bowlus
    Aggies down 5 at the 3Q media timeout.
  • Zander
    Hall and Stobbart both with 3 fouls, that's a little concerning

aaand the Hawaii lead is back to 9
  • cmt
    Couple dubious foul calls there didn't help.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Those last 2 fouls on Sage and Cierra were not fouls and came immediately after the Hawaii coach lit into the refs....
  • cmt
    Seemed like an odd tech but works in our favor so I'll take it.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Alright! Two point game headed to the fourth quarter. Nice 7-pt run by the Aggies.
  • cmt
    Boy that was a huge swing right there.

Down 9, Hawaii gets a block and goes the other way. But they turn the ball over and we get a layup to cut it to 7.

Hawaii gets a tech which not only gives us two FTs - which we make - but gives us the ball. Ags hit a 3 and it's down to 2.

Forgot about the technical foul being 2 shots and giving the ball to the other team. I'm used to the NBA where it's just one shot and whoever had the ball keeps it.
  • Zander
    The T was an unexpected help on this one, but like cmt and BlueGoldAg said, there were some questionable calls the other way.

One bright side I see is that we're not exactly giving BWCT teams a recipe for success with the tape from this game. "Make a ton of threes and have UCD miss most of them in the first half" isn't a game plan
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!