• BlueGoldAg
    I'm glad we didn't have to play either Hawaii or Bake today...
  • cmt
    Survive and advance. Not pretty but job done. Rest tomorrow and play better Friday.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We looked vulnerable today...now every team left in the tournament now knows that the Ags are not shoo-ins to win it all... so they are going to play inspired basketball against us...hopefully, this was a wake up call for the Aggies...
  • Russ Bowlus
    I dunno. Any team that hasn't already seen that this year and last year's teams don't put away teams like the Bertsch/Twins-era teams did hasn't been paying attention, IMO*. The Aggies are going to draw inspired ball no matter what, I think--comes with the seeding.

*they've continued winning, though. Gritty, nail-biting wins.
  • cmt

Yeah, the combination of the removal of the game clock (shot clock is still used) and the playing to the target score eliminates the incentive/need to foul at the end. You play defense because the clock isn't a factor anymore. You'd still have stoppages for timeouts but it makes the end of close games run way smoother.

The ending of last year's ASG was great because it went down to the wire.
  • cmt
    2017 and 2018 should be enough proof that nothing is certain in the tournament, for both players and fans.
  • BlueGoldAg
    *they've continued winning, though. Gritty, nail-biting wins.Russ Bowlus

That's for sure. We're a very good basketball team but not a dominate basketball team. We gutted this one out and we never lost our poise even though the score got close. Krupa is impressive for Fullerton and Hall did the heavy lifting for us today.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bakersfield leads Hawaii 21-17 at the end of the first in a very entertaining game to watch. Both of these teams are talented and play very aggressively.
  • Russ Bowlus
    39-36 Hawaii at half. Both teams shot 12-27, coincidentally. Bako Guard Andie Easley with 15 in the first half!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Either of these teams are going to be tough opponents for us from what I've seen so far.
  • Russ Bowlus
    57-50 Hawaii after three. Easley was shut out in the third.
  • MTBAggie
    Hawaii has a couple of players with heavily taped knees. I wonder if their physical playing is going to catch up with them. Should be an entertaining game on Friday!
  • Russ Bowlus
    81-67 Hawaii FINAL.

Difference in the game was that Hawaii shot THIRTY-FIVE (35) free throws (and made 27 of them) to Bakersfield's mere 22 FT attempts (made 14). Four of Bako's starting five players finished the game with four fouls apiece. :gasp:
  • eastbayaggie
    Alright. How do you like our third matchup with Hawaii? You generally wouldn't expect Hawaii to play well away from Hawaii, but it looks like we're less than confident judging from our mood against Fullerton.
  • BlueGoldAg
    So the Ags and Hawaii will meet for the 3rd time in their last 4 games. Hawaii's defense gave the Aggies fits in the first two games and don't expect this next game will be a whole lot different.

The Bows are very aggressive defensively with quickness and they really crash the boards on rebounds. They out rebounded us 42-22 in the first game but we turned that around in the second game. Hawaii is a very young, talented team who is going to be a contender in the BW for some years to come. They had the Aggie offense off balance in both of the first two games. This will be a very tough game for the Aggies.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I'm just going to guess here but I bet the Ags are going to be hyped to play Hawaii again. You know they weren't happy with their effort on the island and probably want a chance to clearly demonstrate their dominance. Of course, now they actually have to go out and do it. Hall is the key, obviously. If she can get her shot going a bit better than what we've seen recently, and limit her fouls, I like our chances. Also need Stobbart to hit her layups. Too often it looks like she is rushing her shot when she doesn't have to.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Expecting contact, maybe? I agree that "game three" will hinge more on the Davis offense--less worried about the defense.
  • BlueGoldAg
    To often the Ags make some nice drives and moves to get to the basket only to put up a wild shot that doesn't have a chance. We need to finish a higher percentage of those shots.

Hawaii's defense seemed to be everywhere the ball went and they were contesting everything. As a result, the Ags were forced to rush a lot of their shots. I hope Jen puts some wrinkles into the our ball movement that gets our shooters a few more open looks. That said, the team with the better defense will probably win this one.
  • BlueGoldAg
    #7 UCSB takes a 46-40 lead over #2 Irvine into the half.
  • abridge
    Watching the game that followed its darn good we didn’t play any of the 4
  • BlueGoldAg
    Irvine nips UCSB 92-90 in a very entertaining game in which both teams were shooting lights out. SB shot 62% from 3 and Irvine 59%. Tough loss for the Gauchos. They had a chance to tie with 2 FT's with 1 second to go and missed them both.
  • Russ Bowlus
    SLO leading LBSU 15-9 after one quarter.
  • Russ Bowlus
    SLO clinging to slim one point lead, 26-25 at half. Definitely a slightly different game than the Irvine/Santa Barbara shoot out!
  • Russ Bowlus
    LBSU out to a three point lead by the end of the 3Q: 39-42.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Just a thought as this game continues: Sierra Campisano has 26pts/12rb (so far!). Davis held her to 21/14 total in the two regular season games vs SLO. De-fense! *clap clap*
  • Russ Bowlus
    Campisano to the bench with four fouls and still 5 minutes remaining in the game. Not helpful for SLO--she has 60% of their points.

edit: fouled out with 3 minutes remaining. :grimace:
  • Russ Bowlus
    Wow, potentially exciting end to the game coming up! Up one, LB went to the line to shoot two FTs with seven seconds left. Missed BOTH and SLO got the rebound. Immediate timeout and it'll be SLO ball with six second on the clock.
  • Russ Bowlus
    SLO wins 61-60 on a buzzer beater!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!