• Russ Bowlus

In postseason awards news:

Cierra Hall awarded POTY :strong:
    Hall and Sage Stobbart on first team all-conference list. :party:
    Stobbart and Kayla Konrad on all-defensive first team. :fire:
    Stobbart awarded DPOY. :strong: :strong:
    Coach Gross gets another COTY award! (Co-COTY with Tamara Inoue of Irvine.) :up:
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Great news for Hall. She definitely is the glue for this team.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Some notes on the matchups in the bracket:

• Riverside beat Fullerton twice in the regular season. Despite finishing next-to-last in the conference, Riverside also beat USC. Huh.
    • Bakersfield beat Hawaii in both their regular season games, which were @Bako.
    • Irvine won both their regular season games vs UCSB, though it was close.
    • Long Beach lost both their regular season games @SLO.
  • 69aggie
    What happened to the extra year of eligibility? I thought that this would give Cici and Mac one more year. This year can hardly count as a full year of eligibility.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Everyone gets an extra year of eligibility. Hall and Trpcic are seniors and both have said they have not made up their minds yet about returning in the fall and that their decisions will depend upon grad school or playing pro opportunities. Emma Gibb has said that this is her final season.
  • 69aggie
    I would think Hall is a cinch to get a pro offer. Probably a European team, but maybe WNBA if she moves to guard. She can hit the 3. Could Trpcic land a spot on the Canadian Olympics team?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Stobbart tacks on a Player of the Week award for good measure.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Fullerton beats UCR and will face the Ags tomorrow at 11:00 (1 vs. 9).
  • cmt
    I will say, the one good thing about this year with the change in format that rather than playing a decent team right off the bat because of the byes, this year we now get to play the worst team in the league.

I know, famous last words. But playing a 2-14 team early is much better than playing a decent team that's gotten their feet wet by already playing and winning a game (or two) in a new gym.

A win is a win in the tourney but it would also be nice to come out and blast Fullerton in the first half so the starters don't have to play much in the 2nd half.
  • 69aggie
    Did a little research. I think Trpcic is headed for medical school. So not much chance for her coming back. Cici I do not know. Probably the Pros next year. Definitely hope Campbell comes back and we will be OK especially with the plus 1 year of experience for the freshman. I think we look very strong coming into the tournament. Sage is on a real roll now. Could be the difference in the end. Defense!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    #9 Fullerton came back from a 7 point deficit at the half, 30-23, and outscored UCR 32-21 in the second half to win the game 55-51. Senior forward, Joy Krupa, led the Titans with 16 points and 15 rebounds.

Fullerton forced 28 Riverside TO's so I imagine they will try and pressure the Aggies on defense and try to make the game hectic. The Ags have a big target on their backs since they've been #1 in the conference for so long. Teams are going to really come after the Ags aggressively especially since they now have seen that Hawaii had success with their relentless, scrappy defense against the Aggies. The Ags need to try and control the pace of the game with smart basketball and disciplined pace.
  • Zander
    Yep. At the risk of sounding pretentious, the Aggie WBB program has the NDSU problem in conference -- this is basically the opponent's natty since they know perfectly well that a) there's basically no chance of a conference title without beating the Ags in regular season, and b) then it's literally likely going to be their last game in the BWCT. Hawaii brought something close to a postseason mentality game 1 IMO, and it showed.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Game time. Let's go Ags!
  • eastbayaggie
    Let me know if any you guys have your stream started. Mine hasn't started yet.
  • eastbayaggie
    Oh, crap!

Mine says, "This content is not available for your package or region."

DOH!
  • eastbayaggie
    Oh, cool! I can watch it on TV instead of streaming. 12-4 Ags.
  • Russ Bowlus
    12-4 Aggies at the 1Q media timeout. Fullerton not shooting well.
  • Russ Bowlus
    19-9 Aggies after one. Aggie shooting well at about 46% from the field, 60% from deep. Coach subbing early and often.
  • cmt
    Solid first quarter. Need to rebound a bit better though.
  • abridge
    I’m a little worried with Trpcic going out so quickly early in Q1 then returning and seeming a bit out of balance.
  • BlueGoldAg
    3's are always tough to rebound since they often go long while the defenders are on going to the basket and Fullerton is launching a lot of 3's.
  • cmt
    Lots of sloppy turnovers. At least twice we've rebounded on defense and thrown the ball away.
  • cmt

I did have that same thought. Bad team is going to miss shots differently than normal (i.e. rather than being straight on and either a bit short or a bit long, they're off to the side) which leads to rebounds going in different directions.
  • Russ Bowlus
    22-14 at the 2Q media timeout. Very sloppy quarter so far--total of eight points scored by both teams combined. :grimace:
  • BlueGoldAg
    Unimpressive play so far by the Ags....they are much more talented than Fullerton but are playing sloppy basketball...
  • abridge
    It’s like we’re trying to play too quickly - forcing passes - losing focus a bit.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Good run to close out the first half. Davis up 32-16 at halftime.
  • cmt
    Solid end to the half. Need to bury them in the third quarter to rest in the 4th.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Nine players with minutes in the first half.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!