• DrMike
    We’ll need to survive their press. 91-88 1:00 to go
  • Toke69
    I'm speechless
  • quadshock
    Holy moly we're entering low end NBA scoring levels now! I didn't catch the game but seemed like one for the books
  • DrMike
    Well how about that
  • BlueGoldAg
    So MUCH FUN!!!!
  • DrMike
    We tried our best to give it away with 2 sloppy turnovers but they gutted it out
  • ucdboyd
    Go Ags, Crazy win! And me and the fam are going to Vegas baby. So happy we made it to a Thursday game. Wife is St Mary's grad, and if they win, we will be at the WCC final on Tuesday.
  • abridge
    Two amazing games to end the regular season. Whew.
  • Zander
    So glad I made we made it out to this game, one of the most stunning finishes I've seen in the Pavilion.

This team feels March-ready, obviously blowing the lead was not fun but I was so impressed with the poise down the stretch.
  • Toke69
    Remember when we were concerned about this squad's inability to hit free throws? In this game they hit for 82.5% (thanks mostly to Johnson and Pepper). It felt like The Beach was matching them, but they only hit 55.6%. That was the difference down the stretch.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We hit 56 of 66 FT's in the last two games for 85%. I'll take that anyday!!
  • DrMike
    I thought the Poly win earlier this year was as crazy as it gets……I stand corrected.

Would have liked to hear the post game comments
  • agalum
    Down 11 or so with 90 seconds to go and my wife and i left. Everybody around us was saying the game was over. Big mistake leaving. But at least we got home in time to watch both OTs. Awesome that the seniors family and friends got to witness a great game. And the crowd gets an A+. I think they really rattled the Beache’s FTs down the stretch.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Would have liked to hear the post game commentsDrMike

We caught most of the post-game interview with Les on the radio while we drove back to Sac. Les was just really excited for the team and just complemented their resiliency. He said the players kept telling each other that the game wasn't over even when they were down 11 with a minute to go.

He commented on how we went from one of the worst to FT shooting teams in the nation early in the season to a really good FT shooting team now. He noted just how big Ade's defense was in the game. He said that not many players would embrace that role but Ade is willing to do anything to help the team. He also mentioned how Ade has been scoring more lately.

He humorously noted that we haven't won many games when teams score over 72 points against us but he was happy with the win today despite giving up 92 points. He said he was glad to get a couple more days of rest before the team plays again next Thursday in the 8:30 game especially after these last two long, hard games. He also said that there are a number of players who are playing with nagging injuries but they're just gutting it out.

All in all, he was just very, very happy with his team and the fan support in the last two games.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Lassina Traore had 22 points and 20 rebounds for LB. Wow! He's an impressive player.

Long Beach is really a young team also. They're going to be a force in the BW next year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other final scores in the Big West tonight:

Riverside 73 Cal Poly 72 in OT
    Irvine 52 Bakersfield 44
    UCSB 81 Hawaii 61
  • agalum
    I watched some of the UCSB-Hawaii game. UCSB is going ro be a force to reckoned with at the tournament.
  • eastbayaggie
    One disadvantage of watching games on replay is that you'd know if the game will go to overtime before the start of the game. I saw the video feed was three hours long which generally translates to overtime. When UC Davis was down nine points with less than a minute in the game, but the video feed still had an hour left, I already expected a big UC Davis comeback. That sort of ruined the surprise for me.

Next time I will put more effort in ignoring the length of the video feed before i start the game.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I was in the foothills wine tasting, so was only able to watch snippets when we were between wineries. So missed the last minute of the regular time, but watched on replay last night. Just an incredible finish. Beach really let up on defense, I’m sure they didn’t want to foul, resulting in some quick and easy shots. Neither team played particularly well with the lead.

Hopefully the Ags can carry the momentum with then to Henderson.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I watched the last few minutes of the Poly - Riverside game and was really pulling for Poly to snap their 17 game losing streak. They had a chance to win it in regulation with 2 seconds left but Brantley Stevenson missed the second of a 1 and 1. Then down 3 in OT, they had a chance to tie it with a last second 3 pointer but Stevenson, who had 32 points, passed up a 3 and drove for a layup at the buzzer. He didn't realize they were down 3 and thought he had tied the game. So unfortunate for Stevenson and for Poly.
  • DrMike
    the Beach made some odd choices in OT. They were killing us in the paint but for the winning shot in OT they went for a 3 with a guy off the bench. Granted he hit two big 3s in OT for his first points but good Tobias with the funky headband almost air balled it. I think had they pressed us, like they did the final desperate 30 seconds or so, they would have pulled away.
  • abridge

Two words: Transfer Portal. The lure of $$$ from the top conferences will be difficult to counter.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    totally agree about some odd choices. Hindsight of course but it Seems they should have kept up the pressure down the stretch
  • BlueGoldAg
    I hadn't thought about that. I'm sure the portal will bring some surprises to the conference.
  • Toke69
    The win over the Beach reminded me of a game I went to in March 1969 against SF State. We were tired for the lead in the Far West Conference and the Golden Gators had already beaten us at Davis. I seem to recall that their gym was packed with Aggie fans and the old CAAMMB. The teams were evenly matched and it went into double OT. At the end of the second OT, Bob Johnson, a 6-5 forward picked up a loose ball with second left and calmly hit a 10 foot J to win the game and a lead for the title. Unfortunately, the Ags got upset the very next night at Hayward and the league sent both schools to Las Vegas for the first round of the NCAA Division 2 playoffs. I believe we lost to UNLV. That was the most exciting game I have ever seen live.
  • abridge
    That was a terrific game Toke69. I was there and vividly remember it. A great season. The loss the next night at Hayward was awful. Bob Johnson must be the calmest player I can remember.

But the game against UNLV was also terrific. Tom Cups had a super game, was fouled in the last moments but the officials swallowed their whistles, possibly because the home crowd was throwing wood blocks onto the court. I vaguely remember those blocks were handed out as noise makers. Well done, idiots. SF State played UC Irvine. I remember the UCI band featured an electric violin. The Aggie All Male Maverick Marching Band found a way to make the trip and were super.
  • abridge
    That was the 1969 NCAA Div II Western regional.

SF State beat UCI 81-55, UNLV beach UCD 84-81
    Then SF State beat UNLV 77-72 while the Age lost to UCI 82-70

Great memories
  • DrMike
    Was a little surprised Leo only had 5 minutes yesterday. I guess Les felt we had to have Milling out there (he okayed something like 45 of the 50 minutes) to combat LBs inside play. He played 18 on Thursday but don’t remember him much the last 10 minutes or so. I guess trying different combinations now that we’re at full strength.

Not sure it was mentioned but sending Angiwe off with a BIG game in an epic win was a fitting send off to a great Aggie!
  • DrMike
    did they talk to any players? They usually grab one after a win
  • movielover

How many did Upper Hickey hold? Old photos show the place packed, and Ham had some great teams.

Did Mike Lien play in Hickey or Rec Hall?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!