• CA Forever
    SIGNED:
    - DB Blake Cotton 6'3 170 Campbell Hall High School (Studio City, CA) Tweet
    Offers: UC Davis
    - DL Clayton Lynam *** 6'4 245 Saint Francis High School (Mountain View, CA) Tweet
    Offers: Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Navy, Nevada, Princeton, San Jose State, UC Davis
    - LB Lyrik Fata *** 6'4 230 Mater Dei High School (Santa Ana, CA) Tweet
    Offers: Southern Utah, UC Davis
    - LB Evan Tattersall *** 6'2 240 Granite Bay High School (Granite Bay, CA) Tweet
    Transfer: California
    - OL David Main 6'4 270 Los Alamitos High School (Los Alamitos, CA) Tweet
    Offers: Army, Dartmouth, Navy, Pennsylvania, UC Davis
    - OL Ernesto Nava 6'4 295 Tustin High School (Tustin, CA) Twitter
    Transfer: Golden West College
    - P Justin Dwinell 6'4 200 Coronado High School (Colorado Springs, CO) Tweet
    Transfer: Colorado State Pueblo
    - QB Jack Newman 6'1 200 Analy High School (Sebastapol, CA) Tweet
    Transfer: City College of San Francisco
    - WR Andre Crump Jr *** 6'0 180 Monterey Trail High School (Sacramento, CA) Tweet
    Transfer: San Jose State
    - WR Samuel Gbatu Jr. ** 5'10 165 Temecula Valley High School (Temecula, CA) Tweet
    Offers: Air Force, Army, Montana State, UC Davis, Yale
    - WR Logan Kraut *** 6'2 190 Maria Carrillo High School (Santa Rosa, CA) Tweet
    Transfer: Arizona
    - WR Laviel Pickett 6'4 175 Redlands East Valley High School (Redlands, CA) Tweet

PWO:
    - DB Wyatt Gardner 6'0 170 Torrey Pines High School (San Diego, CA) Tweet
    Offers: Columbia, Southwest Minnesota State, UC Davis
    - K/P Cade Cox 6'0 180 Foothill High School (Palo Cedro, CA) Tweet
    - LB Dante Antonini *** 6'2 200 Saint Vincent de Paul High School (Petaluma, CA) Tweet
    - LB Macray Madruga ** 6'3 220 California High School (San Ramon, CA) Tweet
    - QB Michael Ingrassia ** 6'0 205 Marin Catholic High School (Kentfield, CA) Tweet
    Offers: Bryant, UC Davis

TRANSFER:

COMMITTED:

OFFENSE:

Athlete:
    - Isaiah Blair *** 6'2 175 Downey High School (Downey, CA) Tweet
    Offers: Air Force, Navy, UC Davis, UNLV
    - Nijah Richards *** 5'10 170 Scripps Ranch High School (San Diego, CA) Tweet
    Offers: San Diego, Southwest Minnesota State, UC Davis, Valparaiso

Offensive Line:

Quarterback:

Running Back:
    - DJ Crowther *** 5'9 185 Christian Brothers High School (Sacramento, CA) Tweet
    Offers: Army, Georgetown, Idaho State, New Mexico, UC Davis

Tight End:

Wide Receiver:

DEFENSE:

Defensive Back:

Defensive Line:
    - Jalen Toussant 6'2 285 Cisco Junior College (Cisco, TX) Twitter
    Offers: Eastern Washington, UC Davis
    - Kai Wallin 6'6 230 Jesuit High School (Carmichael, CA) Tweet
    Offers: UC Davis (PWO)

Linebacker:

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Kicker/Punter:

Long Snapper:
    - Peyton Warford 6'3 210 Saint Francis High School (Mountain View, CA) Tweet
    Offers: Cal Lutheran, Lewis & Clark, UC Davis (PWO)

COMMITTED ELSEWHERE:
    - ATH Jeremiah Earby *** 6'2 170 Menlo-Atherton High School (Menlo Park, CA) CALIFORNIA
    - DB Lamont Johnson-Burrell 6'3 170 Sacramento High School (Sacramento, CA) SACRAMENTO STATE
    - DL Jacob Rich Kongaika *** 6'3 290 Mater Dei High School (Santa Ana, CA) ARIZONA
    - DL Kaz Melzer *** 6'4 245 Gonzaga Prep High School (Spokane, WA) STANFORD
    - DL Jairus Satele *** 6'1 280 St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA) SAN JOSE STATE
    - DL Logologo Va'a ** 6'4 280 Bishop Garcia Diego High School (Santa Barbara, CA) UTEP
    - LB Sincere Jackson *** 6'3 225 City College of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) SAM HOUSTON STATE
    - LB Jake Ripp 6'3 210 Los Gatos High School (Los Gatos, CA) BOISE STATE
    - OL Jake Steele *** 6'4 270 Murrieta Valley High School (Murrieta, CA) SAN JOSE STATE
    - TE Jack Endries *** 6'4 215 Monte Vista High School (Danville, CA) CALIFORNIA
    - WR Nico Brown *** 6'0 180 Edison High School (Huntington Beach, CA) YALE
    - WR Nathan Kent *** 6'2 175 Rocklin High School (Rocklin, CA) NAVY
    - WR Jason Thompson *** 6'0 175 Harvard Westlake High School (Studio City, CA) STANFORD
  • CA Forever
    Looks like we're kicking off the new recruiting cycle with a 3 star tight end out of Danville. Has a plethora of FBS offers already. GO AGS

• Riveraggie
    Now that the University is no longer considering test scores as admission parameters the gates should be open for any prospect who can hit the right buttons with his biography. That should broaden the field of prospects. On the other hand that diminishes the “Public Ivy” appeal.
  • 69aggie
    Some think that the dramatic increase in applications to the UCs this year was due to the fact that UC suspended testing for Covid reasons. We will see if that takes place again after this announcement. I also wonder if this will have a negative effect on CSU applications as the line between UC and CSU qualifications gets diminished with this decision. Yes, I also think this will have a noticeable and positive effect on athletic recruitment at all the UCs.
  • Riveraggie
    I predict there will not be a decline in CSU applications because students who used to apply only to UC will need to apply elsewhere as well because there is no means of distinguishing academic excellence when everyone has good grades due to grade inflation. Students will need to be in the top 10% of their high school regardless of the quality of the school and have the right resume of activities. If they don’t have those credential then they better have an alternate plan.
  • DrMike
    I got the impression that recruits only had to have the UC required GPA of 3.0 in the core classes to be eligible for admission. I’ve never heard coaches mention SAT scores when discussing the eligible pool of recruits.
  • Riveraggie
    I think you’re correct.
  • movielover
    A friend had a near 4.0 from a prestigious high school, while a gal he dated bragged about her 4.0 from the Central Valley. He excelled in engineering, she struggled w basics classes.
  • Riveraggie
    I was wrong in thinking test scores mattered in qualifying, The biggest obstacle to qualifying the normal way is not overall GPA or test scores, it’s taking and passing the fifteen classes with a 3.0 in those classes. Lots of admits by exception have 3.5 or better GPA, but failed to qualify.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/19/behind-ucs-admission-by-exception-side-door-sports-money-diversity-and-secrecy/amp/
  • movielover
    Interesting:

"UCLA has long used admission by exception for athletic recruitment. Its officials told the NCAA in a 2011 report that about half of all student-athletes were admitted via the policy — including 85 percent of football players on scholarship — compared with fewer than two percent of incoming freshmen overall."
  • blueforce
    Things may have changed, but I believe that Davis does not use admission by exception for athletes. I believe Stanford is the only other school in the same boat, while admission by exception is commonplace at Cal, UCLA, Cal Poly, etc.
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t condemn the practice, if a student has otherwise good academic record and falls short by a course or two it’s appropriate. That’s where the absence of standardized tests makes it harder to judge if the kid can do the work.
  • 69aggie
    I would like to believe Yu Blue, but I would like to see the actually numbers. Which is about as likely as me getting to see the nuclear codes.
  • movielover
    I believe we do, but its very limited. A few years ago when we had an interim AD, I believe the number of ABE jumped for men's basketball as the FAR (Faculty Athletic Representative) was cut out of the process. This abnormality was part of an ICA study.
  • SloStang
    I know that in the past I have asked the past coaching staff at Cal Poly about a few players they were recruiting and was told they had to stop recruiting them because they could not get them in school only to see them end up at UC Davis. Joshua Kelley was one of those players.
  • 69aggie
    SLO. Intriguing. Again I say as I did with Blueforce: where is the actual evidence! Enough with the: “I heard from a coach. . . . And they said. . . “. All BS unless you can back it up with the facts.. sorry. Not a credible comment on an important issue.
  • movielover
    The ABE discussion here is just a section of a larger report. Three individuals in ICA approve of ABE nominations. When we had a lapse in our standards, one person occupied two positions, and the FAR was cut out. (This went on for over a year.) There reportedly is a yearly report including ABE - ICA vs non-ICA.

Academic Senate report on Intercollegiate Athletics, April 12, 2012

End of page 7: "... Each UC campus is allowed to admit applicants who are not UC-eligible, in various special circumstances, provided no more than 6% of an incoming class is admitted in this way. This is called admission by exception (ABE). The actual number of ABE students is typically around 2% for UC Davis."

[Page 8] "...Campus policy states that before a case for a possible ABE can be sent from ICA to Admissions, it must be approved by three people: the Director of Athletics, the Senior Associate Director of Athletics / Senior Women Administrator (SWA), and the Faculty Athletics Representative (FAR)."

"...In spite of the overall success of the system, there are areas of concern. The first and largest concern is a recent major policy lapse. For an extended period of time, the FAR was not consulted on many ABE requests that were sent from ICA to admissions. This was a deliberate omission, not an inadvertent mistake. This problem was eventually detected by the FAR, the campus administration was notified, and some corrective actions were taken. We are deeply troubled by the duration of this failure to follow policy and the weak process that allowed it to remain undetected for an extended period. ICA does not keep records from which one could precisely determine the duration of the lapse. Based on available information, it appears that it was a year or longer...."

[Page 9] "Second, SARI reports reveal that there has been a recent increase in the percentage of student athletes admitted by the ABE process so that it has become much higher than the ABE percentage in the overall student population: around 5%-6% vs. around 2%-3%. The intent and expectation is that those percentages should be kept roughly equal."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://academicsenate.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/files/dgvnsk3876/files/local_resources/docs/pdf/athletics-report-final.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwin6qTJgdXwAhWPFTQIHeBxC90QFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw38MGsAnq4Sx6lJoDnlRJp4
  • SloStang
    This is a discussion board not a court of law. I was just passing on what I was told. Could the coach possibly have told me that because he did not want to admit losing players to UC Davis? That is possible, but I do not believe so.
  • Riveraggie
    Leaving aside the admitted by exception issue entirely, it’s possible for a student to qualify at UC but not Cal Poly due to different criteria. For example I think Cal Poly uses overall GPA including 9th grade, whereas UC uses 10-12 in just the required courses. The base requirements are not that hard to meet at either school but there are lots of ways to not qualify
  • AggieFinn

I'll raise my hand. CP said no, UC Davis said yes for me.

Regarding Kelley, I do not know what kind of a student he was, but Ron Gould was HC at the time and had 3, maybe 4, former disciples playing RB in the NFL at the time. The Aggies ran a run-first, pro-style offense, so if I were Kelley I think it'd be more translatable to the next level, assuming he was thinking along those lines with his kind of talent. He ended up at UCLA anyway, so it didn't seem to matter in the end. He looked different on the field in Davis, even as a, what, freshman? He was clearly an elite player at the FCS level.
  • CA Forever
    Lets get this thread back on track...

New offer on 3 star offensive lineman Jake Steele from Murrieta Valley High School

• AggieFinn
    Mr. Steele, welcome sir. You'll find it was a wise decision for a college and football experience.
  • CA Forever
    New offer on WR/DB Samuel Gbatu Jr. out of Temecula. GO AGS!

• CA Forever
    New offer on 3 star WR Jason "JT" Thompson. Has Pac-12 offers. Seems like an unlikely target to land, but Hawk and crew are going after some bigger names.

• CA Forever
    Aggies put out offer on another WR in local kid Nathan Kent from Rocklin

• AggieFinn
    Fair to say the Aggies have a little pipeline going with Rocklin/Whitney
  • CA Forever
    New offer on local 3 star RB DJ Crowther out of Sacramento. Had over 1200 all purpose yards in 6 game season. He's also rocking a 4.0 GPA.

• CA Forever
    So far this recruiting cycle we are hitting local offense hard. Hopefully we can pick up some early commitments from some of these guys.
  • CA Forever
    Couple new offers out on ATH Jeremiah Earby and LB/TE Jake Ripp! GO AGS

• movielover
    Berkeley started hosting recruits for the first time in 15 months 3 days ago. Are we doing likewise?
  • CA Forever
    Yes, we just held a camp where Earby and Ripp received their offers.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!