• BlueGoldAg
    They may have talked to some players before we were able to tune in but I only heard Les. I'm guessing they may have talked to Christian. That would have been cool and very deserved for him.
  • BlueGoldAg
    900 was the official capacity but I remember the place being packing with standing room only. I think the Fire Marshall wasn't such a big deal back then as it is now.

I only remember Lien playing in Hickey but I could be wrong.
  • Toke69
    I heard that game on KDVS and I do remember thinking how unfair it was that it was effectively a home game for UNLV. I don't remember the score being that close, though and wonder if we were a lot further behind most of the game.
  • Toke69
    Lien was after my time, 1978-79 and I think Hickey was still the venue back then, but I don't know when the Rec Hall was opened. I think I saw my first game there in 1980. I don't know how many seats Hickey held, but my rough guess would be 1100. There were 7 rows of bleachers on all four sides and you could squeeze about 50 per row on the long sides and maybe 25 at the ends.
  • agalum

“ I heard that game on KDVS”

I wish kdvs would resume broadcasting football and basketball games. The broadcast coincided with the live action. 1140 has a several minute delay which makes it worthless if you’re at the event and want to listen to the play by play on the radio.
  • Toke69
    We're certainly a bunch of old codgers!
  • DrMike
    i was complaining about UCI announcer on the TV broadcast and Scott Marsh scolded me for not listening to the radio broadcast. same issue. i know i can pause the TV until they catch up, but that works only as long as the TV doesn't lag.....which is ALWAYS does on ESPN+.
  • agalum

I’ve talked to Scott about the delay. Sounds like its a corporate decision. For some reason KDVS could broadcast live without delay.
  • lucche
    The rec hall opened in 77-78 my last year before graduating. Also, played many pickup games there before the team moved to the rec hall in 79-80. I remember a lot of great crowds and games in Hickey.
    One of the best scorers in Aggien history was Mark Olson sweet perimeter shooter. I loved shooting in Hickey though. Seemed every shot went in. Soft touch led to nice rolls in the hoop. I loved shooting therr. But, played in the rec hall too, and it was close to Hickey, but the rims were a little firmer.
    And a guard named Austin Thomas was quite a cool player too. I remember a shot between 3 defenders
    to score a game winning bucket. And he was about 6'1 and the three defenders were all much taller. I could not believe he got the shot off. I know he remembers that shot.
  • Toke69
    Both Olson and Thomas are in the UCD Hall of Fame. Mark Olson was in the dorm the same time as I was and I got to know him a little. Even played some 2-on-2 against him and won, although I wasn't guarding him.
  • abridge
    Hickey ROCKED as a venue. They also did closed circuit (B&W) TV down into the "women's gym" for overflow toward the end of the season. Mike Lien played in Hickey. Gyms had real character then. The Stanford gym with that suspended floor was memorable - you could watch it move! I gather shin splints weren't an issue there.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!